Being Content or Being Happy

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day regarding this, what's the difference from being content or being happy.

I would say that being content is being satisfied with what you have or may not have, you can be content without being happy.

Perhaps being happy is a temporary thing, where as being content is being happy all the time.

Does this confuse the hell out of you??... does me a little in terms of the investor in me.

I would say I am very content in life, however I still continue to strive to grow my wealth, so its never enough. Then again this makes me happy... this is getting more confusing as I go along. Anyone feel this way??

MTR:)

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day regarding this, what's the difference from being content or being happy.

I would say that being content is being satisfied with what you have or may not have, you can be content without being happy.

Perhaps being happy is a temporary thing, where as being content is being happy all the time.

Does this confuse the hell out of you??... does me a little in terms of the investor in me.

I would say I am very content in life, however I still continue to strive to grow my wealth, so its never enough. Then again this makes me happy... this is getting more confusing as I go along. Anyone feel this way??

MTR:)

Same here, MTR. I feel same way. I am feeling content with what I have got in my life - money, career, family members etc. But trying to grow my wealth as much as possible and that journey makes me more and more happy and fulfilling.

Hi

My head must be all screwed up!
I am content with the financial position I am in now.
But I am not happy as I don't have a ppor.
I hope I will be happy when I have my ppor and have it paid off within a few years. And then I want to increase my investments to have a passive income of the equivalent of $200,000 per year in todays money.

Or maybe I should just be happy as I believe I am already content.

Now I am really confused.

regards,

alicudi

Know a guy on centrelink, smokes dope five days a week, has hocked his tv and phone at cash converters, does the odd labouring job, and never has enough money for anything, but seems quite content

Food for thought

IMO, contentment in a very internal state and belongs to very few.

My dad, as I know him as an adult, is most content person I know. He's never been ambitious and takes both pleasure and happiness in being a support person in his family life. Now at 82 he looks 72, does hour walks, cycles, plays tennis and has just been away trying out the motor home experience.

I feel with our current busy technology filled western life contentment is more illusive!

I know clich?, but its also about living in the moment, the now.

Most of us will say things like....... "if only I had x x and x then I would be content/happy" etc.

Enjoying the now. That's my rant for the evening.:)

My main issue achieving contentment is there's always something to do, read, research, sort, txt, phone, email, cook etc let alone exercise, paint, spend time with my kids, friends and so on. Not enough down time!! My friend gets up at 5am every day to keep up with things... Yikes, I draw the line at that!

May

Content is floating on a dinghy in a billabong, with a beer in one hand and the sounds of nature around you.

Happiness is a superyacht filled with bikini models.

I'm content/happy on certain aspects of my life. There are other parts where I can improve. I'm not totally unhappy about it cos that motivates me to achieve. As MTR said, I also believe that thinking if you have X,Y,Z, you'll be happy is a big trap. I have been there. When you have X,Y,Z, there will always be something else. Good to get to the habit of enjoy now. At least try :D

I was very content,worked hard bought well had a great family life but things can change so quickly i am living day by day now and over the next 2 years will sell my whole portfolio and live life so different and not plan for the future at all.
Macca446

Know a guy on centrelink, smokes dope five days a week, has hocked his tv and phone at cash converters, does the odd labouring job, and never has enough money for anything, but seems quite content

Food for thought

Smokes dope 5 days a week and has the weekend off?:confused:

Anyhow,10yr ago i was in a worse case scenario but managed to shake the monkey off my back:D

That said,i was more content without money than i do now.

Such is life:rolleyes:

Cheers Spades.

Content, in my opinion, means serving out your life in your assigned position and never looking over the fence, knowing that if you do, you may see something better and that would create desire and desire is the root of unhappiness...so dont bother.

They are different....but Im never content nor happy. Onward and upward.

I was very content,worked hard bought well had a great family life but things can change so quickly i am living day by day now and over the next 2 years will sell my whole portfolio and live life so different and not plan for the future at all.
Macca446

sounds terrible Macca

Macca446

Sounds great macca, living a simpler life is good for the soul.

Back