Being Content or Being Happy

There is a saying "Show me a content man... and ill show you a failure" I do believe finding contentment in some aspects of life is good but Not being content is also a good thing, It drives SOME people to become better, set higher goals and work harder... where it is detrimental is when people take a negative view on things "I'm not content with my finical position/# of IPs I own....Its all too hard, i don't know what to do, all these other people have it easy because the grew up in this decade!" This viewpoint breeds resentment and unhappiness... Everything is about perception and state of mind!

I was very content,worked hard bought well had a great family life but things can change so quickly i am living day by day now and over the next 2 years will sell my whole portfolio and live life so different and not plan for the future at all.
Macca446

So if you were content, why/what has changed this, choice/circumstances??? Just curious

I agree it is a state of mind... contentment or being happy or both.

I think being a positive person, glass half full attitude is incredibly powerful.

I also believe that in terms of investing this is one of the tools required to be successful.

IMHO contentment comes from using your talents. You can be financially comfortable, and still discontented. I think we need to have a certain amount of money - to be financial stable - to be content, but that is not enough. if you are driven only to compete or to accumulate, I don't think that is the way to contentment. But if you have a particular talent or ability I think you need to use that to be content.

Happiness is more transitory in my view. I am happy most of the time but I wouldn't say that I feel happiness 24 hours a day 7 days a week - humanity just isn't built that way. But I would say that I am generally content and that underpins everything else. Not that life is perfect (and financial stability is still a way off thanks to GFC!) but I have what I need : )

There is no one else involved but it is hard to flick a switch after so long and she had time to prepare I guess,everything we had and done was about us and now not being with here to me I feel empty and alone and just getting through the day is so hard,I will sell all of my IPs but make sensible choices and tax purposes as well,any way people that is a bit of my story for now thanks all.

Macca446

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day regarding this, what's the difference from being content or being happy.

I would say that being content is being satisfied with what you have or may not have, you can be content without being happy.

Perhaps being happy is a temporary thing, where as being content is being happy all the time.

Does this confuse the hell out of you??... does me a little in terms of the investor in me.

I would say I am very content in life, however I still continue to strive to grow my wealth, so its never enough. Then again this makes me happy... this is getting more confusing as I go along. Anyone feel this way??

MTR:)

IMO, been "content" is a state of mind, whereas "happy" is an emotion which are often temporary

Hi,
Yes it is I have been happily married for 35 years and loved every day I had no idea what was about to happen I am guttered but trying to be strong as I have my little boy to take care of.

There is no one else involved but it is hard to flick a switch after so long and she had time to prepare I guess,everything we had and done was about us and now not being with here to me I feel empty and alone and just getting through the day is so hard,I will sell all of my IPs but make sensible choices and tax purposes as well,any way people that is a bit of my story for now thanks all.

Macca446

I feel your pain, especially as you didn't see it coming. How old is your son and does he see his mother or has she left both of you? (I understand you may not wish to answer those questions.)

Macca446

Hi Macca,

I feel for you. and perhaps these words are not going to help you in any regards.

Everyone deserves happiness, and that often it can be a temporary emotion of been happy.
However, if you constantly build on these temporary happy emotions, which one day may lead to been "content"

A step at a time~
You deserve it mate!

I am very content with what I got and very happy ..... debt free, stress free, healthy, get to do things I enjoy every day ...can't ask for more... have manage to convince my other half more money isn't needed nor it makes you happier

Australia the new land of dream :)

I feel your pain, especially as you didn't see it coming. How old is your son and does he see his mother or has she left both of you? (I understand you may not wish to answer those questions.)

Hi Wylie,
My son is 10 years old and has Autism he is a beautiful kid and always happy so this helps a bit,my wife does see him as her leaving him with me for now works best for him due to school and things,everything that mattered does not any more I feel very empty atm,I start a course soon and this might help me keep my mind off things as then I can get a job and find myself again,I never thought in a million years what has happened and thx for replies.

Macca446

Macca - having been there, done that (and so has hubby) - it's okay to grieve for what is lost - have moments of despair - but don't lose sight that it also an opportunity to open new doors - meet new people (which is really scary) - and grow.

You are a good person - there is life after - and sometimes, at least for us, it's better than anything that went before

As for the initial question - I agree - content is an underlying, ongoing satisfaction for where you are at that moment - happy is intersped moments of sheer joy

Hi Macca 446,

Yep, been there, I know it can sound trite but time does heal and having your son will help. I found not seeing my kids each night was the worst thing actually, perhaps that in itself was a sign all was not well with her and me.

Later, a friend of mine was left in a similar fashion but his kids were a bit older and his biggest worry was being a lonely old man. Once he rebuilt his self respect he found there were plenty of ladies looking for companionship so don't worry about the future.

Love your son, live your life and in time the sun will shine again :)

Hi Macca 446,

Yep, been there, I know it can sound trite but time does heal and having your son will help. I found not seeing my kids each night was the worst thing actually, perhaps that in itself was a sign all was not well with her and me.

Later, a friend of mine was left in a similar fashion but his kids were a bit older and his biggest worry was being a lonely old man. Once he rebuilt his self respect he found there were plenty of ladies looking for companionship so don't worry about the future.

Love your son, live your life and in time the sun will shine again :)

Thanks Macca and others for kind replies,yes I do feel like you said macca worrying about being lonely,I guess only been a week now and so much going ion in my head I need to find me again too.
Thanks all

Thanks Macca and others for kind replies,yes I do feel like you said macca worrying about being lonely,I guess only been a week now and so much going ion in my head I need to find me again too.
Thanks all

Mate, try to stop worrying, I know its hard.
Try to keep your self occupied, as you have mentioned taking courses, which is great.
Start doing those things you enjoy and get your mind off it, stay away from drugs and alcohol, only makes it worse.

You're not alone, well to the very least, there is a group here supporting you whenever you need to chat to someone about anything

Get out there mate, it's not the end

Back