Blu Ray DVD Player TV/Video

Hi All
Looking at buying a DVD, any recommendations, so much on the market.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
MTR:)

Currently have 2 Sony blue ray DVD players and one cheapie basic from Aldi
One blue ray is run through a Sony Bravia tv with a surround sound system, works really well. The other exactly the same is run through a 5 yr old samsung with awful sound!
I think it can be more useful to have a good tv :) the DVD player can only play through the quality of the tv IMO. hubby found a bargain pioneer system ($197!!!) to run the sound through and now it is far better than the other...

Have never really invested big money into any of the above because there is always bigger and better coming out 6mths later! And I am not techie and don't care if the jones have a 60" with Internet ;) As long as it works, good picture and good sound they all seem to be much of a muchness to me. Have had other brands for both tv and DVD and again, only as good as the tv.

Would go blue ray though cos it is the way dvd's have gone so selection and the kids love the ones that have a downloadable sticker on them so they can put the movies onto their devices ;)

Why DVD player? You can nowdays download Blue quality films, :D put it on a USB and stick it into your TV for viewing, quality is the same, and you don't have to keep buying DVD's

Consider:

Samsung BD-F6500
Pioneer BDP-140
Sony BDP-S590

in that order... Whirlpool is your friend.

Make sure you get one which can stream all sorts of other content too like matrovski and consider one with 4K up-scaling if you want to future proof it for the next wave of TVs coming through with increased resolution. But for me, I'll be right with the BD-F6500... If you want the 4K up-scaling pay a bit more for the BD-F7500.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks lots of info here.
I understand you can download and we do, but we want to record some series like Vikings, SBS, great show BTW.

I understand you can download and we do, but we want to record some series like Vikings, SBS, great show BTW.

Why record these shows when you can download them :D

if you insist in buying, I think Michael gave some good suggestions here

Samsung BD-F6500
Pioneer BDP-140
Sony BDP-S590

I bought a TiVo using airmiles a couple of years ago...can record 2 channels and watch something previously recorded at the same time.
Set up a schedule to record everything I want which records it whenever it is on, can set it to record re runs and new or just new only etc

Yep, it isn't technical, easy to do and all my favs are there to watch when I am ready, and I fast forward through the ads... It's old school but I love it...

I got rid of foxtel and got an antenna when I got this as that was all I used that for...well that and the fact that I no longer recognised my kids with all the Americanisms they were adopting from the kids channels!

If you want to record then I have a Topfield PVTR and it's marvy. Trouble is hubby has downloaded all the Vikings before they even get on TV so we don't record that.
I record MasterChef etc so I can watch at my leisure (and fast fwd the ads)

Our Topfield is now on it's last legs as it's old so I'm thinking of going with the iinet Fetch system.

MTR,

I suggest to get HTPC.. solves lot of problem in one go!

you can record, rewind, pause, watch 3D, blueray, surf internet.. zoom in to google earth to find another lucrative deve site ;)!

You still need a bluray...

I've got a PVR, mine's a Beyonwiz DP-P2 I think. Yes, dual tuners etc so you can record and watch live TV. I've connected it to the internet and my IceTV subscription so I can record anything I want from anywhere at any time. I can even programme it to record using my iPhone when I hear something on the radio or see an ad on a passing bus.

But you still need a bluray. Its the heart of your data library allowing you to stream everything on your home network, including all that downloaded content. But it also handles or your hard media as well including all your disks and cards.

I want a good bluray so it can upscale and do 3D well. I'm setting up my theatre at the moment with my Benq w1070 3D capable projector and want the Bluray to drive that. I don't like standard DVD content as its not rich enough and love the Bluray content through the projector and my AV receiver to drive my full 7.1 surround sound.

Don't skimp on the Bluray...

Cheers,
Michael

MTR,

I suggest to get HTPC.. solves lot of problem in one go!

you can record, rewind, pause, watch 3D, blueray, surf internet.. zoom in to google earth to find another lucrative deve site ;)!

+1 for a decent HTPC (home theatre PC) Does all the above mentioned and pretty much anything else media related, ie access your entire music library, radio stations, and anything a normal PC can do such as gaming for the kids

Hi Guys

Seems you lot know your IT setups
What sound system do you have? Give some recommendations

Preferably surround sound system (home cinema type)

Back