Boarding at my parents - How much to pay weekly ?

May need to move in with parents due to personal reasons

I might need to move back in with my parents (personal family reasons) and was just wondering how much is a reasonable amount of money to pay for my board weekly. I'm thinking around $250 or $300 per week to cover everything?

What amount do you think is reasonable to pay? and what expenses do I need to consider when doing my calculations? I do not want them to be financially out of pocket. I hope the amount I give them will pay my way. But how do I know what is an appropriate amount?

Can anyone help me!?

Some more info:
The three of us work full time

Parents will work full time for about another 5 years

thanks

I reckon it would depend totally on what those reasons are.

If the reason is to assist yourself, then an amount like you indicate.

If the reason is to assist them, then a lower amount would be appropriate.

Cool ok thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking perhaps maybe I could pay a certain amount for food and then when bills come in I could pay 1/3 of it but I dunno. Then again it might just be simpler to pay a set amount once a week. I could put the cash on the kitchen table every saturday morning and mum could use it for the saturday morning grocery bill.

I reckon it would depend totally on what those reasons are.

If the reason is to assist yourself, then an amount like you indicate.

If the reason is to assist them, then a lower amount would be appropriate.

hmmmm, yeah. I was thinking along those lines too! Without going into any details I want it to be a neutral kind of arrangement where I dont want either my parents or myself to gain financially from this. In other words I dont want to have an impact on their retirement saving strategies. But the thing is though I will end up financially doing better by living there as I'll rent out my ppor, and my 2 properties will most likely be neutral to maybe even positive cashflow.

I'm thinking because of this fact then perhaps I should pay a bit extra because I think I'd feel bad being in the position to save more money by living with them. Mum and I were talking the other week and I brought up $250 or $300 board and she said no $200 would be enough. No way is $200 enough I told her.

Anyway my lunch break is just about over I better hop off the internet now.

Gees you must eat a lot :)

If my adult kid wanted to come home for a while I would be embarrassed if I was making a profit from them, I would not be subsidising them either for that matter.

I reckon 35% of all bills and maybe $100 for food would be about right. If you feel the need to do better why not take them out to dinner every now and then or some other surprise.

Maybe you could upgrade some of their electrical stuff with your spare rent money

cool ok, thats interesting to know

thanks

On second thoughts it may not be a good comparison.

These are students under 18, and as a house parent you're expected to look after them as you would your own child, ie. wipe their nose, take them on outings, etc.

$200 sounds good.

In a household of 3, I charge my son 1/3 of household running costs (food, amenities, internet) which equates to $100 a week. I also charge $200 a week virtual rent for sharing a room in a house we own outright that would nominally rent for around $600. That $200 is to be invested in whatever manner he chooses for the eventual purpose of providing him his own accommodation. I call it the Gen Y Transition Scheme. :D

In your case, since you already well established with your own accommodation for life, I suggest you at least pay your full share of household running expenses. If they still have a mortgage and you really want to help them out, pay them a bit extra to go towards that mortgage too.

Mum and I were talking the other week and I brought up $250 or $300 board and she said no $200 would be enough. No way is $200 enough I told her.

you would be surprised ... water and electricity is surprisingly little divided by three ... otherwise you have just your food.

So, if you ate $100/food a week then that puts $50ea/wk towards power and water - which would be nearly the whole bill at $650/qtr per bill!

So what do you suggset is fair instead lizzie ?

between $200-$300 sounds about right top off my head... anything less "sounds" low

indiviudal family circumstances probably dictate any mroe details...

it depends where it is and what u expect done
are you going to be cooking tea and doing your washing etc?
what would there house rent for?
200-300 sounds pretty high but considering where i live it doesnt cost me that much to live on my own
id say work out a set price rather than having to work it out each week
if you all agree on a price then done

Come to an agreement with your parents and then add $25 "guilt" money. It makes you feel better, it means they have no qualms and feel they are almost doing well out of it (there's always those squirrely little things that come up). Around $225 - $275 sounds about right including Guilt money.

Come to an agreement with your parents and then add $25 "guilt" money. It makes you feel better, it means they have no qualms and feel they are almost doing well out of it (there's always those squirrely little things that come up). Around $225 - $275 sounds about right including Guilt money.

Can you just imagine how many bike bits you could buy if you saved said $25 'guilt money'?

pinkboy

So what do you suggset is fair instead lizzie ?

If no one wants to feel like they are making profit or loss out of it - then I'd say $2-250.

It technically is more than it would "cost" to live there (unless you ate copious amounts of food) but includes a thanks-mum bonus.

If no one wants to feel like they are making profit or loss out of it - then I'd say $2-250.

It technically is more than it would "cost" to live there (unless you ate copious amounts of food) but includes a thanks-mum bonus.

Yes it is about more than just money.

Now I'd love my kids to be here (well sometimes) but it does affect your life. You get used to having just 2 people and having an extra person there takes compromise. I'm used to being home by myself some nights (hubby does shift work) and when my son stays (he's nomadic) I have to think about dinner at a certain time etc. I do most of my work on the nights hubby's at work but when he's here I want to spend time with him. There's extra housework, cooking, washing etc.

So the amount should reflect your individual situation. It's different for everyone. How "put out" are your parents? How much do you contribute (cleaning, cooking etc)? If you are minimizing your impact by taking turns in cooking, washing etc then that alleviates your mothers workload.

If it were me I'd be happy for you to cover your costs but save me time by sharing cooking, cleaning etc.

Back