Boarding at my parents - How much to pay weekly ?

I would suggest that if your parents are happy with $200, then maybe give $225. This will cover what it costs them to have you there and some left over that they can put towards their retirement (if that's what they want to do with it). This also gives you a 'little extra' that you can save towards your next IP or to pay down loans. A win/win situation.

In addition to that, I would suggest that you do all your own washing, but you could help them out and do some of theirs as well, and you do a fair share of the cooking (I know I would appreciate that because I hate cooking & my lazy adult daughter lives with me and does absolutely nothing). Top that off with paying a share in the electricity, water & gas, and I would suggest that your parents would be as happy as pigs in mud, so long as you don't have too many personal disagreements when sharing the living arragements.

I reckon it would depend totally on what those reasons are.

If the reason is to assist yourself, then an amount like you indicate.

If the reason is to assist them, then a lower amount would be appropriate.

if for whatever reason i had to move to my parents i would feel like a real loser unless i paid them around $250.

Move to asia. $300 per week will get you a decent apartment, food for the month and a maid who comes in 3 days per week cleans (washing and ironing as well) and prepares your meals for you. Another $300 per month in Manila will also get you a personal bodyguard/driver 7 days per week. They are also grateful for the work unlike most caucasians dong the same thing.

Personally, I don't think it is possible to go home.

If it was me, I'd rent somewhere else, unless there were separate living quarters.

I returned home for a week in between apts at 17...and couldn't wait to get out again. That was before I knew you could pay the difference and spend another week.

I'm sure APK will do much better..and good luck

Move to asia. $300 per week will get you a decent apartment, food for the month and a maid who comes in 3 days per week cleans (washing and ironing as well) and prepares your meals for you. Another $300 per month in Manila will also get you a personal bodyguard/driver 7 days per week. They are also grateful for the work unlike most caucasians dong the same thing.

Depends where in Asia - perhaps in third world cities/countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

$300 per week won't get you anywhere in HK/Shanghai/Tokyo/Seoul/Singapore. I think you'd struggle harder in those places than you would here in some cases (defn for HK/Tokyo/Singapore).

be asian. $0 per week will get you a lifetime of being able to stay with your folks if circumstances dictate in return for you doing the same for them as well as your kids in the future

i struggle with the concept of working out how much you're "put out "by the kids and charging accordingly

we spent 2 periods of 2 yrs at a time living with my grandparents when i was yhoung cos dad was trying to establish a business and money was very tight. in grandparents retirement we have always contributing for their living expenses, holidays etc. what goes around comes around, how can family be a business transaction??

my grandparents even housed various nephews and nieces back in the 60s in singapore who came from malaysia, india etc to study. i know we're all investors/developers and naturally money is important but for me family > money

Delta

Agreed HK, Tokyo, Sing won't get you anything like that. Having spent a lot of time living and travelling in Asia I can assure you KL, Bangkok, Manilla, Saigon all offer (except maybe Saigon) comparable levels of comfort, amenities, etc without the costs involved in HK or Sing. Know quite a number of people with online businesses generating more than $100k per annum nett and they are living a great life. Drivers, maids, cleaners, nannies, secure housing, great food and if you want just pop on down to Siam Paragon, GreenBelts or any of the luxury shopping malls for your LV bag if that is what you desire. The major costs in all of these countries are cars. They are far more expensive than Australia. But when you have a driver what's the issue.

People think some of these countries aren't safe but that is usually from people who have never lived there but ,apart from Manila, they are just as safe as Sydney. Car jackings happen in Sydney and so do home invasions, etc. In fact in Bangkok i've never had an issue. Saigon although a little boring is EXTREMELY safe.

sanj,

Keep in mind that Western and Asian cultural beliefs on family are very different. Not wrong or better, just different.

yeah fair point which is why i dont say too much on the subject but i do struggle with viewing helping family out from a predominantly $$ POV

be asian. $0 per week will get you a lifetime of being able to stay with your folks if circumstances dictate in return for you doing the same for them as well as your kids in the future

i struggle with the concept of working out how much you're "put out "by the kids and charging accordingly

we spent 2 periods of 2 yrs at a time living with my grandparents when i was yhoung cos dad was trying to establish a business and money was very tight. in grandparents retirement we have always contributing for their living expenses, holidays etc. what goes around comes around, how can family be a business transaction??

my grandparents even housed various nephews and nieces back in the 60s in singapore who came from malaysia, india etc to study. i know we're all investors/developers and naturally money is important but for me family > money

I think a few nationalities were this way until affluence combined with unconditional generosity and giving (by parents that want better for their children), and the memory of struggle street a distant memory, became a way of life... then those cultures changed to one more of entitlement.

I don't think most parents that make children pay do it for the money.

I would charge, but I would also help them financially if they had made every effort to help themselves first.

I also intend to generously give at different times. What I wouldn't tolerate is having them ask for money when the week before they were out for an expensive dinner or buying new toys, because they're so used to recieving unconditionally.

At 40yo (Kims age) I would expect 'kids' to be giving to their parents, not the other way around.

Depends where in Asia - perhaps in third world cities/countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

$300 per week won't get you anywhere in HK/Shanghai/Tokyo/Seoul/Singapore. I think you'd struggle harder in those places than you would here in some cases (defn for HK/Tokyo/Singapore).

Side note: I'd disagree about this with regard to Tokyo, or at least it's suburbs. Life's a heck of a lot cheaper there than here from my experience (going back some 7 years now, but I visited there 3 yrs ago, and prices hadn't changed much if at all). Living in central Tokyo is costly of course, but $300/wk per person for a couple in the 'burbs (say 20km out) is entirely adequate from my experience. It would depend on your definition of "live" though. We don't do Prada.

coasty - yea I see what you mean. I haven't quite gotten around living in a non-emerging third world country. Perhaps these people have found a much holier grail than me. Unfortunately I'm still eyeing HK and Shanghai, which are pricey but still affordable at the moment.

belbo - 20kms is pretty far!!! But I get your point. $300 won't get you much Prada any where ... maybe a Miss Sixty every now and then, and that would be a pretty sparse every now and then.

i agree with others that 200-250 seems reasonable.
but my main advice is to clarify other aspects of moving back,in terms of housework/ house rules etc.
i moved out of home when I was 22 or so, and then back when I was 25 or so. my parents were quite strict.. and when i moved back, my parents still expected me to have a curfew and to tell them where i was going and to follow all the house rules etc. and, to be honest, i expected my parents to still do the bulk of housework and became a bit like a teenager again...
i know a friend who tried to move back home but her mum found it too stressful to share the house with someone again after living on her own.
it can be quite an emotional challenge on both sides.... you are going to their house and you need to be able to negotiate how that will work for both of you......... money is only a small part of that negotiation.

Like Penny, I moved back home when I was about 25? for a total of six weeks while the house that I bought settled. They offered this so that I could save a little before I moved in, which was much appreciated, however I found that my parents drove me absolutely crazy, insisting that I have a 'bedtime' of something like 10pm, because that's when they went to bed.:eek:

They also treated me like a teenager, tried to punish me when I was 'naughty' and so on. It was definately not a fun time.

Personally, I don't think it is possible to go home.

Kathryn
We sold our house and we moved in with our son for a short period (2 weeks), it has been wonderful!

I reckon we could live with him. ;)

Anyway back to APK's question, a bedroom is worth $120 a week to rent out, then contribute 1/3rd of groceries and 1/3 of bills eg electricity, water.

APK should do her own washing, ironing, keep her room tidy and cook tea 2 nights a week and pack her own lunch and assist with housework.

Cheers
Sheryn

Kathryn
We sold our house and we moved in with our son for a short period (2 weeks), it has been wonderful!

I reckon we could live with him. ;)

Anyway back to APK's question, a bedroom is worth $120 a week to rent out, then contribute 1/3rd of groceries and 1/3 of bills eg electricity, water.

APK should do her own washing, ironing, keep her room tidy and cook tea 2 nights a week and pack her own lunch and assist with housework.

Cheers
Sheryn

Does your son have those same feelings?
You also gave the impression your move was for a very short period of time.

Maybe it is a culture thing.
I love my kids to death, but I wouldn't want them living with me again.

Can you just imagine how many bike bits you could buy if you saved said $25 'guilt money'?

pinkboy

Possibly a whole new bike. Got an enforced bike splurge (pick up in Melbourne in a weeks time). Husband and parents and friends got together for my 30th and chipped in. No way would I have bought myself a new bike otherwise (despite saying I would for the last five years!)

Back on topic - between getting back from a prolonged overseas trip and moving into a new rental, I ended up staying with my grandmother for a month. Was a good chance to catch up on what was happening with the extended family, gave me a chance to treat her to a few things (lunches out, a couple of new doodads), but boy was I glad it was only temporary. Love her to bits but my Aunt drove me nuts trying to guilt trip me.

like a few have said it depends if your moving in for them or for you
when i go to the parents for a family tea i sometimes cant wait to get out of there and its only been 2 or 3 hrs!
if its for them then you have to accept it might drive you nuts.. and u might have to compensate for that lol

Does your son have those same feelings?

No I wouldn't think so (cramp his weekends) but he has had boarders sharing his house on and off for a while.

You also gave the impression your move was for a very short period of time.
Yes 2 weeks. We are travelling Australia living in a caravan doing a similar thing to you but did not want to leave our local area until February next year. Son has booked us to come back and house sit in January whilst he is away on holidays.

Maybe it is a culture thing.
I love my kids to death, but I wouldn't want them living with me again.
I would have to agree with you when it is our place but as I said it is different when we are staying at the adult kids place and they are at work and we are in the house on our own all day!

Realistically we would not want to live with anyone again but hubby has said he will babysit when our kids have kids which is why we are planning to travel around Oz now.

Cheers
Sheryn

Back