Brisbane IP in 2014

I'm flying up to Brisbane in a few weeks time to search for an apartment/unit/townhouse.
I have narrowed my search to these suburbs, based on a budget of $350 and hoping to find something that requires little or no work - Alderley, Newmarket, Nundah, Lutwyche,

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on any of these suburbs?

I'm curious as to why you are not also looking at Greenslopes, Coorparoo, Camp Hill?

You know why wylie! Cause the North is best!.

Onto the question.

You can definitely buy older (70s) units in Nundah. My old man has bought 4 units in Nundah in the past couple of years; all within $305-345k range. All 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 1 car.

The others I am unsure of.

Thanks Roachy, Nundah is a place we have been looking at for some time. Trains and other connections/ major roads are important to us. Is there a large amount of building works going on in Nundah in the way of high rise apartment blocks?

Thoughts on Westend. What Melbourne suburb could you compare it to?

Westend is fairly expensive and deemed as a "Trendy" place.
I can't say I've seen many apartments around there for $350.
Competition seems to be heating up, the last 4-5 month's I've seen the average go from 4-6 people inspecting to closer to 10-12, especially well priced Units.

Yeah West end is pushing our budget. Wondering if anyone knows anything about Alderley what sort of industry is out that way?

Anyone brought 1or2 bed Apartment in Windsor?

Thanks Roachy, Nundah is a place we have been looking at for some time. Trains and other connections/ major roads are important to us. Is there a large amount of building works going on in Nundah in the way of high rise apartment blocks?

Thoughts on Westend. What Melbourne suburb could you compare it to?

Lots of 5-6 storey apartment blocks going up everywhere. So maybe not much CG to be made in the short to medium term. But it is definitely a hotspot for buying activity.

Alderley

Alderley is rather hilly and has some lovely old homes. It has a train station with a very old drab shopping centre across the road. The shopping centre was going to be developed a few years ago but I don't know what happened, the old one is still there. Probably GFC?? Alderley has easy access to the city by bus and train. There is also a designated bike way through the parkland to the city so riders do not have to go onto many roads.

Just to the west is the road works at the corner of Samford Rd and Wardell St which will improve traffic flow in Enoggera. Another kilometre west along Samford Rd you have the Enoggera army barracks. There are rumours they will sell it off for housing, but I don't know any more info than that.

Alderley is rather hilly and has some lovely old homes. It has a train station with a very old drab shopping centre across the road. The shopping centre was going to be developed a few years ago but I don't know what happened, the old one is still there. Probably GFC?? Alderley has easy access to the city by bus and train. There is also a designated bike way through the parkland to the city so riders do not have to go onto many roads.

Just to the west is the road works at the corner of Samford Rd and Wardell St which will improve traffic flow in Enoggera. Another kilometre west along Samford Rd you have the Enoggera army barracks. There are rumours they will sell it off for housing, but I don't know any more info than that.

Thanks for that info Angel. Selling the barracks could throw a spanner in the works.
Do you know what other industry is out that way if any?

The sale of the Barracks is the other side of Wardell Street and a reasonable distance away. It will have very little effect on Alderley prices.

There is no industry as such in the suburb.

Yes i like Alderley but also like Kelvin Grove, Grange and Herston.

Purchased a number of properties for clients in these suburbs over the last few months.

Cheers

Richard

The sale of the Barracks is the other side of Wardell Street and a reasonable distance away. It will have very little effect on Alderley prices.

There is no industry as such in the suburb.

Yes i like Alderley but also like Kelvin Grove, Grange and Herston.

Purchased a number of properties for clients in these suburbs over the last few months.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard

Would most rentals in Kelvin Grove and herston mainly attract students particularly in my price range $300 to $350?

There doesn't appear to be a lot on the market rent or buy in Grange. Is this suburb a family suburb made up of mostly houses?

I don't particularly want to buy rentals for students either.

However would like to find something close to train line.

What do people think of Ashgrove?

We recently invested in the neighbouring suburb of Enoggera. My impression is that Ashgrove is the trendier neighbouring suburb that Enoggaraites (?) aspire to move to. A couple of "taxi drivers" have send that property in Stafford has performed well - which we would hope will flow on to nearby areas.

We recently invested in the neighbouring suburb of Enoggera. My impression is that Ashgrove is the trendier neighbouring suburb that Enoggaraites (?) aspire to move to. A couple of "taxi drivers" have send that property in Stafford has performed well - which we would hope will flow on to nearby areas.

Stafford certainly gets a mention on here.

Does Ashgrove have a better shopping strip than Enoggera and Alderley?

Stafford certainly gets a mention on here.

Does Ashgrove have a better shopping strip than Enoggera and Alderley?

I am sure other know the areas far better than I do but I'll add my first impressions.

Ashgrove is better than Enoggera - it has three different small malls with each having either Coles, Woolies or Aldi. It also has a separate shopping strip with cafes. Enoggera is more a takeaway type strip.

Stafford has the Bunnings and the Stafford City Shopping Centre and would be on a bigger and busier scales.

I am sure other know the areas far better than I do but I'll add my first impressions.

Ashgrove is better than Enoggera - it has three different small malls with each having either Coles, Woolies or Aldi. It also has a separate shopping strip with cafes. Enoggera is more a takeaway type strip.

Stafford has the Bunnings and the Stafford City Shopping Centre and would be on a bigger and busier scales.

Not saying your wrong because I don't know those areas but often suburbs without your big shopping centres are much quieter and more desirable

Is there any other reading ashgrove is better?

What about Lutwych and Clayfield nice or drab areas close to both CBD and Airport for the 100s of predicted workers required for Brissie Airport.

Just want to narrow this search down based on local knowledge. Stats are one thing but I would like to get some local knowledge on the Northern suburbs.

Back