Brisbane or Gold Coast ?

Good morning all,
We just came back from Queensland after staying in Brisbane for few days. I like the sunny weather and the neat and tidy wide streets of Brisbane in general and the CBD in particular. We are thinking to buy a house to rent out first and when we are ready we can move up there.
I have two kids age 8 & 11. When we were up there we have a quick look in the Albany Creek area ( we live in Melbourne east and would like to have a bit of bush around ). What do people think of Albany Creek, Carseldine etc.and if there are other areas we should look at. Which are the good high schools in Brisbane and if there are any in the Albany Creek area.
Yesterday I've been talking with a real estate agent and she thinks GC is the best place to live. I drove around GC and didn't like it as there are no tall trees cover and it doesn't have a proper CBD like Brisbane does. How do you compare Brisbane and GC and if it will be a mistake to move from Melbourne to Queensland, especially appreciate opinions from those already made the move and if you have any regret.
Thanks in advance

OTM,

Welcome to the forum.

on the move said:
I drove around GC and didn't like it as there are no tall trees cover and it doesn't have a proper CBD like Brisbane does.

I think you've answered your own question.

Just move.

Personally i'd choose Brisbane because it's closer to the Sunshine Coast. :)

A86

Hi,

Brisbane over Gold Coast any day... Living in Brisbane the GC is only a short drive if you ever have a desire to visit there and as Agent 86 said Bris is closer to the Sunshine Coast so you get the best of three worlds...

Nobleone :)

Hi On The Move.
I'd have to agree with what others so far have said. I currently live in Sydney but also plan to move to Brisbane when the time is right (love the Redland Shire). I always think of the Gold Coast as very tourist orientated and a bit plastic, but in saying that I would prefer the GC to Sydney. Just my thoughts.

Regards
Marty

Well, I made the move 3 years ago (From MEL) and I love it here.

I live in Brisbane, in Salisbury, and it's just the best!

You couldn't pay me enough to live on the Gold Coast, it's just tooooo busy... I think New York is quieter sometimes.. ;)

Agree Totally with A86... Brissie IS Closer to the Sunshine Coast! hehe

asy :D

just curious - why would you move to Brisbane over Perth? Similar cities, both warm climates except a bit less humid in Perth. They are both a long way from home except Brisbane costs a lot more and still has no beach. I am a big fan of northern Queensland e.g. The Whitsundays, but it's too far from Brisbane to be of any use.

To counter balance all that, The Gold Coast is a nice place to live, if you choose the location well....

no CBD.... well, you ARE moving to get away from a city right ???

Areas, like Robina, Tallebudgera are very nice.......

It all depends on what you plan to do when you come up............ retired / investing / working ????

If It's work, then YEP, Brissie is your best bet....

There is a lot to do on the GC with kids in tow.... life is very relaxed, and every weekend is activity filled....

Moving

Just move to the Sunshine Coast and be done with it. Its a great place and there are also a lot of outer areas that have bushland. Bribie Island is also a great place to relocate to as its only a short commute to Brisbane CBD and has to be kept to at least 83% national park, with the beauty of beaches and island living with bridge access.
Just another thing to think about.
JIM

. How do you compare Brisbane and GC and if it will be a mistake to move from Melbourne to Queensland,

Moving,
i dont think you can compare BRISBANE to the Gold Coast,
both areas require different strategies in investment terms
one item to keep in mind several inner city residential
suburbs have good access to large parks and bush areas,the same as the gold coast has,imho i think inner city brisbane over the past 2 years
has experienced three waves of price increases,and as we have held properties for over 21 years in inner city brisbane,this does worry me it used to be 4 to 5 years cycles,as far as timing goes i dont see many sold signs up latley,i walked past this real estate window yesterday on the south side inner city brisbane yesterday,the bottom line price for a three bed timber h/set
on 405 s/m,listed at 255k,one year ago this property would have lasted one day,now the agent told me they just cant get any offers.
this is the web site,www.mathewsrealestate.com .au,i do trust these
agents its worth a look..
good luck
willair..

Thank you everyone for your kind advice. Pesonally I prefer the Sunshine Coast, but thinking of the kids future I would choose Brisbane and may move to the Sunshine Coast after they leave the nest. I've done the sums and no longer need this job in Melbourne and would like to take life easy (life is too short!).
I will check out the various areas suggested.
Hi Ausprop we were in Perth 15 years ago and felt it's a bit too remote and sometimes too hot.
Hi willair thanks for the web link.
Once again thank you all very much.

I am originally from Melbourne and have lived on the Gold Coast for seven or so years and Brisbane for over ten, also the Sunshine Coast for a short time, my opinion is you can`t beat Brisbane, Gold Coast is good to visit but that is all, it is not a place to call home imo, too many unemployed, too much tourism and too many people from someplace else!.
There are a lot of bushland areas around each of these places though, all are good, so you can`t go wrong there.

Markpatric,
Thank you very much. I am now looking for a house in Brisbane and it gives me a lot of assurance from someone who has lived in all three places.
cheers,
on the move

CG is way too touristy, live in Brisbane and visit CG on weekends. Plus, once you discover the Sunshine coast, CG just doesn't seem that attractive any more. Shhh, let the tourists head for CG and save Sunshine coast for ourselves.

Please don't confuse the Gold Coast with Surfers Paradise - we live at Burleigh which provides an awesome beach lifestyle, good restaurants, sporting amenities and the hinterland is only minutes away. :)

willair said:
. How do you compare Brisbane and GC and if it will be a mistake to move from Melbourne to Queensland,

I agree, Brisbane RE is not fairing too well. Wages are much lower in Brisbane, house prices are now more expensive than Melbourne. Personally i would stay clear of Brisbane. There is an over supply of houses, a lot of listings are titled investor wants out.

It seems everyone things of the GC as Surfer's Paradise only......

As mentioned..... Nice places to live ( if you want the lifestyle ) are : Burleigh, Robina, Tallebudgera, Currumbin & Currumbin Valley......

HEAPS of laid back places where you can enjoy life quietly at a relaxed pace.......

Seems too many people have yet to discover the NON-Tourist parts..... Let's hope it stays that way !!!!

I moved from Melbourne to the Gold Coast nearly 2 years ago. Its the best thing I've ever done and I will not move from the GC now.

We are in the middle of the Gold Coast at Mermaid Waters and it is a great place to live. We are close to everything, but far enough away from the tourists spots such as Surfers & Broadbeach.

There are a lot of great places on the gc that the tourists don't know about.

Gold Coast any and every day of the week.

Sure it's got heaps of tourists - as most forumites who have responded just said - Nice place to come and visit!!!!! You are the tourists!!!! :eek:

So when you all come here and visit - whether from Brisbane, Sunshine Coast or interstate - no doubt you all go to the same places - where the tourists are - Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, Pacific Fair.

Why not try Burleigh heads, Kirra, Paradise Point, Canungra, Tallebudgera Valley, Bonogin etc and get a real feel for the Coast.

If you want CBD - Perhaps you should look at Surfers Paradise. There are numerous highrises that are soley business and also residential/business. More and more are being developed.

I'd hate the Coast to turn into a Brisbane CBD. Smog, pollution, noise and NO BEACH/ Fresh ocean breezes.

I live at Bilinga and work at Southport. It is not touristy, not busy - in fact you'd probably say it is in a time warp. I watch the sunrise every morning from my balcony, see whales, dolphins and even a Seal on the beach once. - yes a seal!!! Then I drive home and watch the sun set whilst I take my dog for a walk along the beach to Kirra.

Hey, Each to their own!!! :)

Cheers
BUNDY

Totally agree with you Bundy. Its the best of both worlds here. My favourite spots are Burleigh Heads & Nobby Beach and there are so many other fantastic spots here.

We live on a canal and have our own jetty to fish off. We're 5 minutes walk from the beach. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Back