British Paints one coat?

Hi,

I just went to bunnings and attended the painting workshop. The guy from bunnings kept recommending me to use British Paints One Coat for the walls and ceiling. He said they are a lot cheaper than Dulux and Taubman and all you need is just one coat of paint and no more, which would save a lot of painting time. I am kinda tempted to go for it as it only needs one coat to do the job.

Has anyone had much experienced with that paint before?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

interesting - ive never heard of one coat before - i've always used an undercoat and antique white usa. I will try it next time - agree it has the potential to save heaps of time. thanks for the thread.

Dulux also make a one coat as well called 'Once'. I've only ever compared the exterior formulations (BP 4 Seasons vs Weathershield) but much prefer the consistency of the Dulux paint. If you're painting over the same or a very similar colour and you're looking to save time, I don't think there's any harm in trying it!

The exisitng wall colour is white and blue..it should be much problem to cover the white walls, but i am not sure about the blue walls. The bunnings guy said it would have no problem to cover it.

At bunnings:
Dulux 10L once coat ceiling $150.5
British Paints 10L one coat ceiling $120
($30 difference)

Dulux 10L Once coat walls $179
British Paints 10L one coat walls roughly$140 from memory

Dulux 101 wash and wear 15L for walls is $176.

I have a Choice subscription, and going off memory it did not rate well for both durability and coverage of different colours. Most of the single coat paints didn't rate well, and from memory were only good for light colours over light colours, and not in high traffic areas.

Personally, I used a single undercoat and then a single topcoat most of the time, and that seems to work well for me. Yellow especially seems to be a bad colour to paint over, for some reason it seems to really absorb the paint.

We have a few painters in this forum, hopefully they can give some feedback.

Not a painter but done plenty of houses :{

One trick I was taught was to 1/2 strength tint the undercoat to the final color. Most places seem reluctant to tint the undercoat but I have not had any issues from it and often saves doing multiple final coats.

I tend to stick with something I know and trust,
I personally would never use it,the prices you are quoting are twice the price I pay for premium paints so to me it has no benefit.

If you are a very slow painter then maybe it is worth a try for yourself,most home jobs fail because they only put one coat so if this paint has better covering power,that's good.:p

Have used Dulux Once. Still had to undercoat (the walls were that pale hospital yellow colour). You're right that you will probably get away without undercoating your white walls, but the blue ones will definately need undercoat.

Some colours are not suitable for Once. One of my features colours was a deep plum colour and I had to use grey undercoat and two coats of ordinary wall paint.

If you want a good finish I wouldn't recommend it. If it's just for a rental then I say go for it. So long as you are half decent with the roller it comes up fine.

Back