Can I get my mate to do it or do I need Council approval?

Hi all,
Lounge chair renovator here again. So much easier to think about it than do. But we did decide not to renovate til we were about to move out! And now, it seems that day MAY be getting closer (hallelujah) so I'd welcome your thoughts on:

1. ENsuite? worth it or waste of time. Do we need council approval if no external changes? 'Only' need to instal a toilet, washbasin and put in a gyprock wall.

Reading "Angel's" post, someone said the trend is for double size showers, and his'n'hers washbasins. Has anyone added an ensuite and seen it lift rent, or better to just leave it one massive bathroom and put in a huge shower?

2. To get quotes for installing a toilet and wash basin, do we call a plumber?? Or who? Sorry, totally ignorant.

3. Built-ins? or cool hanging rack suspended from ceiling bolts? Or nothing? Worth it to do the 1k to do built-ins or can't the tenants just BYO?!! I did and I survived, or is it now 'expected'.

The area...professionals but not top of the range. Medium range.

Ta!

hard to say in isolation but generally speaking;

#1: Ensuite - yes always a good thing almost standard now-adays.

#2: Yes a plumber is best \ get one that has a mobile number listed in the pages not a full blown advert.

#3: built-ins: marginal \ your call. $500 each for standard MDF, 1 rack closets.

Seems like you dont need council approval you will however need BUILDING APPROVAL, get a certifier. Rarely do people do this but thins comes under non-approved works. Your call I suggest you do.

hope this helps

Hi Elke,

Yes if you are not building outside of the existing footprint then you won't need a council permit. Unfortunately you will need to speak to a building surveyor regarding internal changes. My dad just got caught out by this and is being sent around in circles with all the building regulations. Very frustrating process.

Good luck with your project!

Ashley

You don't need a permit for an ensuite unless you're in some multi residential apartment unit. many laundries have been converted to toilets.

I like to have at least a built in in the main room. But then again I wouldn't pay $1000 for one.

Wardrobes are a pain. I remember moving many times when renting.

If someone is in a place with a built in they'd choose one that had a built in over yours, all other things being equal.

Esuites are better than sliced bread, but this applies to houses with more than 2 bedrooms.

Built in robes are so common these days you're better off having one. We just went bedroom suite shopping and none of them come with wardrobes standard - they are bed/bedsides/tallboy or dresser. No wardrobes.

Back