Can you have a laundry without a dedicated laundry tub, just a waste pipe?

Son has a small room off his kitchen that houses his fridge, front loader, metal laundry tub. Tub sits in the middle of the long wall with taps for tub and washing machine at waist height and drain underneath.

Tub really stuffs up the way he can fit things in.

He wants to run a bench along the long wall, and under the bench he could fit a dishwasher, washing machine, drop in smaller sink instead of the metal tub.

He could really do without the drop in tub, but if he ever sells, someone is likely to say "where is the laundry tub?".

Would the fact that a kitchen sink is three steps away be enough to satisfy people so that they would not miss having a dedicated laundry tub?

Whether he replaces the metal tub with a drop in sink, is it legal for him to simply rip out the tub and have the washing machine (and dishwasher) waste go straight into some sort of replacement riser that is not connected to a sink?

A prospective buyer would like to see the dishwasher in the kitchen and the laundry tub in the laundry. (No-one likes the smell of bleach and dirty nappies emanating from the kitchen :eek:)

Is there access underneath the laundry floor? If so, you can simply move the laundry waste pipe anywhere you like.

wylie, I have put washing machines in kitchens before and I have a few even in ensuites. No tenant has ever complained to me about not having a laundry tub. (I don't think there is any legal requirment to have one)

Attachments

• laundrywastepipe.jpg
    laundrywastepipe.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,097
I have done 3 laundries now with a long bench and 450 dia stainless steel basin. Have used it myself and never had a problem, sold one of the houses for a fortune so it never affected resale value and have one tenanted and never a complaint. The laundry I have now has dryer and front loader hidden behind fold away 900high doors with a lovely wide laminex bench on top and a ss drop insink and spectacular tap. Huge mirror and glass sculpture competes what everyone thinks is a vanity area.

Most apartment laundries just have w/m taps and (if you're lucky!) a drain pipe. But in a house.....

The Y-man

Sorry, I probably forgot to mention it is a two bedroom unit. This little room has a door from the kitchen, and it would be very easy to put the dishwasher under a bench in the laundry. It is only two steps away from the sink, so would be no further reach than a dishwasher that isn't directly under the sink in any kitchen (but directly under the sink is the best option).

So the laundry waste pipe goes into a concrete floor and he doesn't want to spend money changing that.

He is looking into putting a narrow dishwasher under the sink, but the kitchen is small. However, losing a narrow 450mm wide section under the sink is not like losing "proper" storage space. Most under-sink storage is under-utilised anyway due to the plumbing and sink taking up so much space. Look in the double doors under most sinks and you will find rubber gloves, potatoes, dishwashing liquid, three green scourers and 300 plastic Coles bags :p.

But even if he goes the 450mm wide dishwasher, this tub smack bang in the middle of the laundry would be better gone, a bench installed with washing machine and dryer under which gives extra bench too.

Just didn't know if he could have a waste pipe without a sink. But I think he is best with the narrow dishwasher and a small tub for those who want a laundry tub.

Have just removed laundry tubs from camper laundry, much prettier without.
only needs a waste pipe where part of the washer hose is above fill level, to stop siphons, and ensure there is enough venting at the waste pipe to avoid airlock, ie: 1.5in washer hose 2in waste pipe,, the tub acts as vent for the washer (& washer for the tub) if the tub is there, may need something if the tub is removed

Last edited:
This is the photo of the kitchen after he painted it and this all started because the benchtop is almost like a sponge, it is so full of moisture.

I've found a solid timber benchtop measuring 2.4m x .9m which will cover the total area and he just needs to cut away the section where he stands at the sink. That means there is no join. The sink cutout can be used for the little drawer cupboard top.

To the immediate left of the photo is a stucco internal wall and a free standing dishwasher could be placed just beside that, so it is not really very far from the sink, but obviously right beneath the sink is best option.

If he wants to put a narrow one beneath the sink, he could install it beneath the draining board, but sink could be reversed if that suits better. Of course, the sink can be moved to one side or the other if he is cutting a new hole.

He has his fridge in this little room to the left of the photo. If he had to put it in the kitchen he would not have room for his table and chairs. It is only two steps from the sink. I should have taken a photo to show just how close this little room is to the work area.

Just do what you want - tenants really aren't going to notice. A small sink is better than none of course ... Miss 4 throws her wet knickers in ours every time she has an accident. If we didn't have it, she'd have a dedicated bucket or basket.

Our last house we had one of those concrete monstrosities (not ever connected, just sitting there 3 feet away from the drain, which stuck up into the air - don't ask) and then we had none for ages, then a modern trough unit thing we got on special sat there for ages, and about 10 minutes before we moved out we connected it and tiled the splashback :)

There's legal requirements for splashbacks around sinks but not washing machines, nfc what is legal about waste, but I guess someone covered that further up.

Other half is reading over my shoulder and has made the point that without a trough, you need an extendable tap so you can fill up a bucket with warm water. Or a bathtub. Important stuff, filling buckets :)

Imagine how sticky the floors in your IP would get if you don't have a means for your tenants to fill a bucket!

Good point RE... but the kitchen sink is three steps away and he has a bathroom with a shower tap that could be used to fill a bucket (though not as easy as a laundry tub).

I think he should put in a bench with a drop in tub. He won't realise how much he needs this bench until he has it :).

We have this set up in our laundry. The tub is a sexy oval ceramic one. Doesn't shout "laundry" at all.

With a two bed unit I'd just go the waste.

It's not likely to have a family with babies in it in the near future (is there?) - and if they do, a bucket for "dirties" would suffice.

With the use of disposables, the need for a big sink in the laundry is redundant ... and if cloth comes back then the nappy buckets will come back in style too. When junior was a baby I used the laundry sink a lot for rinsing poo covered clothes (when they do that explosive thing). Now I only use the tub for washing out paint brushes.

If I had the space I would put a 1/2 tub in only for bleaching in and - ahem - washing paint brushes. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I've had both a sink, and no sink, in the laundry over the years - and the "no sink" was no big deal, even with 3 primary aged kids at home as I could always soak overnight in the washing machine itself.

Interesting how practical one becomes and what we can do without ... I had a flat rented to a mum with a toddler - she just used to put the baby bath in the bottom of the shower and let the child play/wash in that.

When there is no sink ... just a long sticking up pipe behind/next to the machine, that runs to the sewer system, that you hook your washing machine pump outlet hose into.

Yes - cold and hot taps for the washing machines mounted on the wall. No sink to hand wash in the laundry.

We are talking a 2 bed unit here - not a dirt pit with a 4 bed house sitting in the middle.

Hand washing of delicates can be done in a bathroom tub. Dirty clothes requiring soaking or bleaching can be soaked/bleached overnight in the washing machine itself.

Just asking. I don't think Ive ever sseen that in Perth that's all.

I live in a 2 bed unit in a complex of 48. Been here way too long. Long to see many neighbours do much more thorough & better reno's than I did. But everyone always left a sink & taps in the laundry, which adjoins the kitchen.

Tried to upload a photo of my kitchen & adjoining laundry, but I can't work out how to edit to make it small enough to upload

Last edited:
Back