Can you have a laundry without a dedicated laundry tub, just a waste pipe?

Thanks battler for that. I've spent a few hours today scouring ebay and Gumtree for kitchen sinks and laundry and butler sinks. That is a nice compromise, and I'll send it over to him.

The waste (he tells me) doesn't go through the floor but through the wall backing onto the bathroom and joins in with the other pipes running through the block of units, so that should work well (very similar to the diagram in an earlier post).

What he is thinking now, after some more pondering, is that rather than try to squeeze in a narrow dishwasher under the existing sink, which will interfere with the side doors no matter where he puts in under the sink area, that he may put a bench in the little room off the kitchen, front loader and dishwasher underneath and a mid-size sink.

If he places the dishwasher centrally, where the tub is now then it is only a step and a reach to stack and unstack it. That way the little room really becomes more of a butler's pantry set up. The fridge is already in this room and is only two steps from the sink, and they don't have any issues with the fridge there, so a dishwasher as close as the fridge (two steps from the main sink) might be his best option.

With a good sized bench over the top of the dishwasher and front loader and a small sink, they can put the kettle, toaster, electric frypan etc there, and also hide any mess which is currently on open view as their seating area is just near the kitchen.

Poor chap is being bombarded by links to various sinks, but I've found him two crackers that I think he will buy tonight (one of them).

Can anybody tell that I need to renovate another house... and soon. I'm enjoying this.

With a good sized bench over the top of the dishwasher and front loader and a small sink, they can put the kettle, toaster, electric frypan etc there, and also hide any mess which is currently on open view as their seating area is just near the kitchen.

Good thinking batman! Means this area become part of the kitchen with an under bench WM - very similar to the UK - instead of a laundry bodgied up a bit.

The BCA stipulates that you must have "clothes washing facilities, comprising at least one wash tub and space in the same room for a washing machine"(3.8.3.2). It further goes on to say that "A kitchen sink or washbasin must not be counted as a laundry wash tub"

Tools

Thanks Tools. He's decided on making this a laundry/butler's pantry so a laundry tub/sink will be installed. He has to find a tub with a width less than 400mm but that is something I enjoy doing (searching ebay etc), and he has time to get this organised.

The BCA stipulates that you must have "clothes washing facilities, comprising at least one wash tub and space in the same room for a washing machine"(3.8.3.2). It further goes on to say that "A kitchen sink or washbasin must not be counted as a laundry wash tub"

Tools
The OP's "Unit", may be a class 2-9 structure, not a class 1/class 10 single dwelling
alternate compliance may apply, volume 1 bca, searching for my bca...

Everyone needs a copy of the building code for renos ..
Vol1 class 2-9
Vol2 Class 1 class 10

Attachments

• Vol1A11BuildingCodeAustralia.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 608
  • Vol2A11BuildingCodeAustralia.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 1,073
The waste is commonly where the waste water goes, down the plug, or a secton in the tub that holds the hose from the washing machine.. Again the waste .. Waste water... Cheers

Back