Car Servicing Advice please

hi Yman

Bushes ont wear out faster if a car hasnt been serviced....................

In the old old old days where a bush may be greaseable and the greasing was missed, then yeah she might get wobbly early, but on a normal modern suspensions, there arent many greasables.

ta
rolf

Just took my car in for a log book service today. When I went and booked it, I told the girl at the desk that I wanted a service so it would be entered into my Holden logbook. She said I may need the $199 service, I said that's fine, that's what I paid last time.

When I dropped the car off this morning, the mechanic at the desk said since it was a log book service it was gonna cost $313.00. I nearly had a meltdown.

Now he's rung to say I need two new tyres, handbrake needs adjusting, new wiper blade, new bushes (whatever they are, but $410.00), wheel alignment. I told him to write to down so I can see what needs doing.

When I go and pick it up later, will they still sign the log book even though there are things that need doing to the car, which I'm gonna look for prices to make sure they're not ripping me off?

Thanks
Queen Bee

Sounds like you were given a tough time.. This is why I do my own car service every 6 months and just get an MOT annually.

Sounds like you were given a tough time.. This is why I do my own car service every 6 months and just get an MOT annually.
What things do you do when you service your own car?

What is MOT?

On the subject of suspension/steering bushes - most of the time the wear is age and mileage related - like humans.

But; driving style, tyre pressure, loads (towing etc), road surface and conditions will affect them as well.

what i found is that
yes they do charge a woman more
This may be true, but less common these days due to amount of free and easy access to info and ability to reaerch about cost of repairs etc, and advertising such as fixed price services.

Fixed price sounds terrific, but don't be naive; mechanic shoips need to make money. They aren't going to do a really cheap service and do a ton of work on that car.

and come up with a bunch of added expenses all the time so that what should cost 200 suddenly is 660
This is very common - dare I say normal - in cars over say; 7 years old.

Why? because they are getting older and parts start to wear out.

The service is the periodic maintenance and checking of the vehicle. It is not the repair of all the mechanical faults that arise, and the replacement of the parts that are worn, or wearing. Small and inexpensive faults usually get addressed - broken light bulbs, a loose stone tray etc...and most folks are thankful for that to be done.

That is where the added list comes in - it is a list of items for things needing to be watched, or repaired in the near future etc. For eg; "Front brakes due in 5,000km's", or "Rear tyres due next service", or "Castor rod bushes starting to wear" are common ones we use

'only do the very basic service''
in order fo rme to keep the warranttee with them
It doesn't work like that. If you want to keep the warranty, you need to do the Book Service as the book requires.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

We get asked for this scenario a lot - do the basic service, but can you stamp the book? The answer is no.

only to find out at the end of the warrantee time that they say, oh read the original warrantee hmmm no no no no no none of the problems or defects are covered under the warrantee.
Welcome to life.

In all warranties for almost all products we buy, there are certain parts that are not covered, and normal wear and tear is often not covered.

so i learnt its hardly worth taking it there
Could be onto something there; bring it to our place!! :D

i told them clearly to ask me before doing anythign extra otherwise i found i
w as forever being charged 500+ being told how it needed this and that and this and that
It staggers me that places do that.

i would then call my local trusthworthy mechanic who would tell me a price and often they would match it to get the work, or if not i knew where to take it to.
Fairly normal procedure I would say.

Back