Career Advice!

Hey guys how you doing? :p

I've already started a Bachelor of Commerce degree at University of Western Sydney this year (first year so everyone does the same subjects!) and beginning next semester i will be switching away from Marketing as it's not where my passion lies.

The issue is what to do, i will definitely double major if possible and i'm weighting in between finance & economic or accounting to some extent. But the thing is, i do find real estate quite fascinating, and having investment property of my own, this would be a good field to get into. But real estate is quite diverse, and i wouldn't know where to begin. I've also been reading a bit up on trading on the ASX, perhaps i might get into this in the near future.

My plan all along was to become a financial planner since i love dealing working with people and making a difference in there lives.

I'm also told by a few that Accounting will prove to be useful in the future, but the content itself is quite tedious. Also i'm told that Law is also quite rewarding. Unfortunately i would love to do everything but i need to focus.

Plan: Change my majors next semester --> find any volunteer/internship for next year, hoping to land in a finance company --> graduate --> experience.

Just need to get my foot in the industry right now.

Any advice?

Kind regards
David

id stick with the bachelor of commerce, there's alot of jobs available by completing it.

if you want to be a financial planner, dont be put off by comments about how there all sly commission sales men....try and get into a private bank or hnw accounting firm these two roles usually go for people with accounting/commerce degrees in the first instance.

Hey guys how you doing? :p

I've already started a Bachelor of Commerce degree at University of Western Sydney this year (first year so everyone does the same subjects!) and beginning next semester i will be switching away from Marketing as it's not where my passion lies.

The issue is what to do, i will definitely double major if possible and i'm weighting in between finance & economic or accounting to some extent. But the thing is, i do find real estate quite fascinating, and having investment property of my own, this would be a good field to get into. But real estate is quite diverse, and i wouldn't know where to begin. I've also been reading a bit up on trading on the ASX, perhaps i might get into this in the near future.

My plan all along was to become a financial planner since i love dealing working with people and making a difference in there lives.

I'm also told by a few that Accounting will prove to be useful in the future, but the content itself is quite tedious. Also i'm told that Law is also quite rewarding. Unfortunately i would love to do everything but i need to focus.

Plan: Change my majors next semester --> find any volunteer/internship for next year, hoping to land in a finance company --> graduate --> experience.

Just need to get my foot in the industry right now.

Any advice?

Kind regards
David

Hey David,

I don't know whether I can offer any sort of advice but I'm in a bit of a similar boat. Since this is a property forum, I can only provide some info on property related stuff.

I'm doing a bachelor of property and hope to become involved in the commercial side of property both national and international. There are many things you can do in property. Below is a list from the Australian Property Institute.

- Investment Trust Manager
- Rural Property Broker/Consultant
- Property Developer
- Business Broker
- Property Finance Consultant
- Property Consultant
- Property Researcher
- Asset Manager
- Sales and Leasing Negotiator
- Portfolio Manager
- Property Manager
- Valuer

I narrowed my list down to property research, asset management, commercial sales & leasing and property development. My courses/subjects that I pick will revolve around these areas.

I am doing 3 finance courses in my uni program, maybe we can correspond and exchange ideas or something.

I plan to apply for assistant roles that recognises my studies where eventually I'll decide on what area I really want to focus on.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Go the accounting stream, and make sure the course fulfils the pre-requisites for you to become a CA or CPA when you get started. Work hard and get yourself a place in a graduate program of a Big 4 accounting firm (it doesn't matter which one, they're all the same anyway).

Once in the door, the firm will pay your CA/CPA and some ongoing training. Within 5-6 years you'll be on well over $100k per year, and have contacts and experience you can use to get a well paying role. Once you've managed this, you'll have a very strong means to fund your property habit.

During this process you can keep up your interest in property, and keep building your portfolio. Having a strong income allows you to accelerate your progress, however, and working in the big end of private sector accounting can be quite lucrative.

This is just my advice - it's not the only way to do things. Have a think about it, though. Also, don't fall into the trap lots of younger uni students do of thinking that having multiple degrees / masters / doctorate etc at a young age will mean anything once you get into the workforce (cos it doesn't). Get you degree, and get out and start working. The possibilities are endless.

Ask yourself three questions;

What are you good at?
What do you enjoy?
What job do you actually want when you graduate?

If you can tell us the answers to these questions we will be able to help you more. I think the best thing to do is work backwards. What job do you actually want? If you figure that out then we can tell you how to get there.

From what you've said it sounds like you want to do a finance major - you mention wanting to be a financial planner and that you want a job at a finance firm. You also talk about having an interest in the stock market and property which you will cover in finance.

You should be able to take a second major. Economics, accounting and law all complement finance well. Your first year will give you a pretty good overview of each area so you will hopefully feel more comfortable choosing by the end of it. Some majors overlap so you may even be able to keep your options open until half way through your second year.

Accounting and finance will be a tight fit if you're taking all the CA/CPA units so keep that in mind and speak to a course planner about it.

However, if you're really interested in property you need to transfer into a property related degree. If you're thinking about working in development or as a project manager or as a property valuer there are specific degrees for that.

Do as many internships/part-time work/extra curriculars possible. Attend every careers and networking event they have at uni. Research the firms you want to work at so you can get a good idea of what they're looking for.

David,

Firstly, don't fret.... you've just started a Bachelor's Degree. This is the start of your journey, not the end!

I would recommend keeping your base degree as broad as possible, most relevant to the sector you want to work within. this will allow you the biggest playing field upon graduation. I.e. more options. You don't have to stick with one job/career your whole life. That is why we go on to graduate school, to specialize in an area we later realize is our true calling.

I have had 4 career paths thus far in life & I'm not even 40! That includes a trade, 2 Diplomas, Bachelor Degree & nearly finished a Masters Degree. Education is a lifetime journey, it does not end unless you choose it to.

Many of us have been in a similar position, and on reflection I'd do it all again the same way. Make a 5 yr plan, stick to it, finish what you start and enjoy life! ;)

Back