Career change time - Job ideas needed

So, I am fed up with IT and need a change. Although I am good at my job, life is too short to do something that doesn't interest me. Of course, in the background my property investment will continue :)

I am looking for something somehow relating to property or construction which can make use of some of my existing skills so hopefully I don't need to start right at the bottom of the chain.

I have about 6 years in IT, currently in a Project Leader role focussing on customer transitions.

I also have 2 years experience in a Real Estate role, where I worked in Sales and Property Mgmt. I also have the Real Estate Diploma to go along with this.

I have a very open mind, but like most people here I also have bills I need to pay, so starting out as an apprentice won't be possible.

Not too keen on going back to work in an agency.

Any ideas? Throw them out there.

Hi BuildingBlocks,

What would you do if money/bills were not an issue? You might not be able to do that particular thing but it might be a good starting point to build on (pardon the pun:eek: )

Hi BuildingBlocks,

What would you do if money/bills were not an issue? You might not be able to do that particular thing but it might be a good starting point to build on (pardon the pun:eek: )

If I were 18 again with no bills then maybe I would do a trade, but not too sure.

My skills are around being highly analytical and highly organised.

I actually read one of your posts the other day that mentioned drafting and gave it a few hours research :)

It could be an option, more so as starting something on the side that I could then build up.

Funnily enough when I was back in Real Estate I had to draw up a few floor plans and quite enjoyed it.

Edit: I found this online CAD tutorial site the other day for anyone interested:
http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/index.php?category_id=1

You could set up a business to look over floor plans to identify potential issues and also make it more efficient.

I always thought people don’t look careful enough to maximise their floor plans when they build with a project builder. Many people can’t even visualise the floor plans and the project builders don’t really care as long as we sign up.

I'm not sure how much money you can make though :)

You could set up a business to look over floor plans to identify potential issues and also make it more efficient.

I always thought people don’t look careful enough to maximise their floor plans when they build with a project builder. Many people can’t even visualise the floor plans and the project builders don’t really care as long as we sign up.

I'm not sure how much money you can make though :)

Floorplan Consultant, I like it :)

Really can this be done. I would be great at this!!!

I was doing this the other day to an advert in the newspaper for a new build. So much wasted space it was not funny.

I am sort of in the same position as you are Building Blocks just knowing what to do is hard.

I had a major career change a couple of years back, best thing I ever did. I started in my new career as a hobby and wound it up as I wound down my old career. Worked out well.

I sum my approach up as "just do what feels intuitive and right" and the rest will work itself out.

Are any brokers reading? How did you start out?

Actually started out in a similar fashion to where you're coming from. After 10 years in IT I was getting sick of it. I ended up getting retrenched which gave me the kick I needed. I found a good mentor to get started and the rest is apparently history...

Give me a call if you'd like more detail.

There are good 3-day autocad training courses around too. They cost around $1000, and I reckon they're excellent value for money.

I've sent total autocad novices to these and they come out functional enough for construction-fitout shop drawing work. (I work in the marble manufacturing & fit-out industry, and usually we take people with stonemasonry or joinery backgrounds ready to upgrade to project management and send them off for autocad training in around week 2.)

You sound to me like you could be well-suited for fit-out construction project management (anything from kitchen / bathroom renovation businesses to full-scale shops & houses fit-outs). It suits highly-organised people who get a buzz out of building things but have a particular knack at coordinating people and resources. Salaries start around $60K and go up to around $100K + super. After that its sales and business management for the bigger bucks.

Like anything, you get out of it what you put in: It's not for wallflowers or idlers. In construction, you've got to like pressure, rising early, solving problems on the run, and measuring not twice but thrice.

Project Management? Transitions? Do you have any idea how much money people with those skills are getting paid up here in Canberra?

(Hint: S***loads)

$120+ an hour here in Canberra.

You're kidding. I'm moving. Do you need an unrestricted builders license for that, or just a regular one? The 120k/pa figure I quoted was working in government in Darwin (ie free car free phone coffee in an IV drip) but 120/hr is just silly for that kind of work.

You're kidding. I'm moving. Do you need an unrestricted builders license for that, or just a regular one? The 120k/pa figure I quoted was working in government in Darwin (ie free car free phone coffee in an IV drip) but 120/hr is just silly for that kind of work.

IT is his game, the one I wish to escape :)

Back