Carpet

Hi guys
I am currently investigating options for carpets in the bedrooms for the house I live in, in sunny Mackay. It currently has putrid green carpets from what looks like early 80s :D . I specifically would like carpet (as opposed to polishing the floor boards) because in winter the house is dam cold (well by Mky standards anyway)! There is a very sparkly white and gold lino under the carpet!

I've done a search but there have not been any specific recommendations. This will be a rental - so the questions is....
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hard wearing, easy to clean carpet for a rental? Brands/colours?

The walls will be an off-white colour (not the current glorious apricot which goes splendidly with green!). Obviously I don't want to spend a huge amount but I also want to buy quality - no false economy.

Thanks for your help.
:)
Cheers
Amanda

Bone Coloured Carpet.

Hi there.

I went for a bone coloured carpet - in gladstone. Got brand new underlay (foam rubber) and a polyester short loop carpet.

It looked fantastic - certainly lifted the life of the place.

Make sure you get new underlay - it feels good and makes cheap hardwearing short loop pile feel nice & quality.

Good Luck. PM me if you want the gladstone carpet layer details!

Cheers
AC.

i agree go for a loop - much more hardwearing. i would also suggest a carpet with a fleck thru it as doesn't show the marks and stains so readily. a 50/50% would probably suffice as feels like wool but wears better. i don't know anyone in your area who does carpet - but go to a couple of shops, find out what you want and then ring around the others to see how their prices compare. remember to include underlay and installation in the quotes

lizzie

The imitation sisal in polyester or a mix is fine and is long lasting. I used a dark beige/stone colour and it looks great and has worn well so far (four yrs) in one IP. Got it from Carpet Court or someplace similar.

You might look into the composition of the carpet as well as the pile.

Polyprop is the cheapest but has little "memory" i.e. will not spring back well. FLAT SOPOTS in doorways etc.
Nylon will spring back but is dearer.
Cheers

Thanks everyone
It's always great to get feedback and suggestions on what to use. I shall investigate further!

Cheers
Amanda

i have used polyprop "light industrials" from carpet court - they are supposed to be tough as nails and you can clean them with bleach! (beats trying to claim insurance after messy tenants) One was a greyish blue with flecks and the other was a sisal I think (rows of big loop, small loop etc)

Ecogirl said:
Hi guys
I've done a search but there have not been any specific recommendations. This will be a rental - so the questions is....
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hard wearing, easy to clean carpet for a rental? Brands/colours?

I work Saturdays in my brothers mates carpet shop in Sydney and recommend a polypropylene carpet for rental properties called "seismic". It's a loop carpet and is very hardy. Not sure who manufactures it but I'm sure most places carry it.

Did you know that you can even use a very light bleach solution on polypropylene carpets which you can't on nylon carpet and definitely not on wool carpet.

To give you a guide, they sell this product for $99 lineal metre fully laid incl. underlay. Or if you know the square meterage of your place, you could work it out at approx. $28 sqm fully laid.

And no, this is not an ad as you can see I haven't mentioned the name of the shop :)

Sharon

Go for a commercial grade polypropylene.
pros : food and drinks stains easily removed
cheaper in price than nylon or wool

cons : don't drag heavy furniture on it as it will leave friction burn
doesn't wear as well as wool or nylon but a commercial grade should do ok

as for using bleach this is not necessary as even water will get most stains out.

if you get this type of carpet cleaned use a competant carpet cleaner as this carpet needs to be cleaned differently to wool or nylon.The most common mistake with this carpet is over wetting due to steam cleaning with too much pressure and wetting the backing.
General tip: if a carpet cleaner cannot test and identifiy exactly what fibre your carpet is made from don't use them.

hope this helps ax6

For carpets my PM recommended :

- a Sisal which is a semi commercial carpet, looks good and hard wearing -

for replacement of carpets in a unit on Sunshine Coast.

annE :) :) :)

carpet choice

hi to all

when choosing carpet the fibre type is most important.
Sisal,berber etc are styles of carpet and can be made from various fibres eg;wool,nylon,polyprop,acrylic,polyester etc and may even be a blend of two fibres.
For rental properties go for a commercial grade polyprop.
Polyprop is solution dyed meaning the colour is added when the fibre is manufactured.They also make solution dyed nylon these days.
Most other fibres are dyed after they are manufactured mainly acid dyed eg: wool,nylon etc.
Polyprop 0.1% absorbency
nylon 4% absorbency
wool 16 -18% absorbency
polyprop will not absorb spills so are easily removed.

Back