Carrying Cash

too lazy to carry cash - rather just use credit cards (easy to manage and you get points)

As for some people i know - they regularly carry 5-10K in cash all the time. if you ask me - why would you do that being due to the fact they carry some in their wallet and a money clip. That is 50 notes assuming 100 dollars (5K). and it obviously increases due to the fact -that if you purchase something u get change and coins. Most of these guys do it to impress peers or girls - use the money clip by taking it out to take a $100 note to pay for drinks etc.

I very rarely carry any cash on me. When certain state govt departments decide to start paying their employees in cash again - that's when I'll carry some in my wallet.

I'm one of those people who our technology-hating senior citizens moan, groan and roll their eyes at at check-outs when I pull out my keycard to pay (apparently this 'takes longer' and cuts into their hectic day of doing what ever it is retired, cranky old people do all day :confused:). But I never complain when they stand there for ages counting out the exact amount of 5c pieces to pay their bill :mad:.

?? Don't quite get this lizzie?? You were depositing cash?? Did the cop think you may have more cash on you??

he thought i was taking it out.

for the record - i don't like carrying cash. i know a few people who have had their bags pinched, and am hopeless myself for losing things, so would rather not take the risk.

I've got no problems carrying large amounts of cash. Many, many years ago I worked at a small bank and whenever we ran low we would often get more from another branch that was located only a short walk away (the other side of the train tracks). I was often the one dispatched because my hand-bag was large and I was the senior teller. There would usually be two of us, but at times it would just be me.

From memory I recall transporting around $50k or more. I was very used to handling extremely large volumes of money. The branch I worked at prior to this, I was their No1 teller and would be in charge of well over $500k each pension day, so walking around with $50k in my hand bag was not an issue.

Does anyone here object to carrying around over $1000? If not what is the most you would not carry in cash? $10,000, $100,000?

What are your reasons for being comfortable with money or uncomfortable with it? Do not trust society - could get mugged? Fear you could spend/lose it? Other?

For those that can carry cash anywhere with no worries, was it learned or did you just have this ability?

I am basically cashless these days.

I occasionally take out $200 from the ATM if I need cash for some particular purpose.

Otherwise we pretty much only use our savings on the Eftpos card. I used to use the Visa for this to get the points, but the whole points thing is a joke these days. Try getting a flight these days when you want one using points.

We use our points these days as a credit towards our travel costs either for a rental car or accommodation, or as part payment of the air fare.

I only have enough cash on me to get me through a week or so of coffee, my weekly lotto ticket and any other things I know I need cash for.

If I keep any more cash on me then I seem to find things to spend it on.

Anything over about $20, such as weekly shopping or petrol, goes on a card.

I rarely use cash. It is much more convient to use a card, it also means I personally don't spend as much. If I have cash it doesn't take long to have it whittled down with nothing to show for it. I do keep a $30 'float' on me that I use for work, and to pay for parking every now and then - but when I'm not working (ie, maternity leave) I rarely have any cash on me at all.

Otherwise we pretty much only use our savings on the Eftpos card. I used to use the Visa for this to get the points, but the whole points thing is a joke these days. Try getting a flight these days when you want one using points.

We (family of 4) flew to Perth at Christmas time on points, and next week we are going to the Gold Coast.... so it is possible! That was with Qantas points.
Last year, we went to Brisbane on Virgin points plus pay. I think I paid $100 for the family.
I think we also used them for a trip to Japan a few years ago, at least for some of the family.
I need to use up some Thai points, so will probably do another o/s trip using them later this year.
I was going to use some Singapore air points a few years ago to do an internal European flight.... went all the way thru the booking, only to discover the tax payment was going to be more than 2x the cost of buying the airfare. Not happy!

only to discover the tax payment was going to be more than 2x the cost of buying the airfare. Not happy!

That is what I find with buying tickets in Canada. Most times the tax portions is the most expensive part.
Here the domestic Australia tickets we buy, are quite reasonable in comparison. Getting to and from the airport can be the most expensive part.
The first time we got caught unexpectedly and didn't purchase the baggage when we bought the tickets. It cost $110 at the airport instead of $28 approx if we bought it with the tickets.
Lesson learned.

from memory bon is a security guard ... slightly different from the average joe blow.

personally, i don't like $100's. always find the shopkeepers look at you a bit strange and triple check to see if it's counterfeit.

BayView;782711 Otherwise we pretty much only use our savings on the Eftpos card. I used to use the Visa for this to get the points said:
you[/I] want one using points.

We use our points these days as a credit towards our travel costs either for a rental car or accommodation, or as part payment of the air fare.

Yup points is the way to go.

Try AMEX - they can easily get you a flight. Or the emirates mastercard.

There is even one now for 60,000 points by citibank which is a good deal.

personally, i don't like $100's. always find the shopkeepers look at you a bit strange and triple check to see if it's counterfeit.

Holidaying last year in New York there were lots of places in dodgier areas that wouldn't even accept $50s, including at least 1 McDonalds!

a couple of weeks ago, i carried $210k cash, they were bundled in bundles of $20k, so 10 bundles + a bit,

was a bit worried, however, I had it in a bag that was sealed, and held on to it for dear life,

the only way it would disappear would be if some random mugger got it

you know, I always thought about this - if you ever won lotto, didn't register your name, and had a tiny little ticket/scratchie worth a million bucks that anyone could claim...how badly would you be packing yourself trying to convert it over? I'd go into the lotto office with a SWAT team I reckon :D

you know, I always thought about this - if you ever won lotto, didn't register your name, and had a tiny little ticket/scratchie worth a million bucks that anyone could claim...how badly would you be packing yourself trying to convert it over? I'd go into the lotto office with a SWAT team I reckon :D

I shall report back to you with my findings on Wednesday :D

Back