Ceiling Fans

Can anyone tell me where I can buy ceiling fans from at a good price? I recall seeing some advertised on TV recently that had the light fitting attached under the bottom and a remote control for under $100. I think they were the kind you install yourself and attach straight into an existing light fitting.

I have some tenants requesting air con in an IP but they didn't like the proposed amount of increased rent I was asking. The house does get a bit hot so I'd like to compromise by installing ceiling fans at no extra cost to hopefully keep them happy.

Cheers, Ebbie.

I dont know about the DYI ones. Most Ceiing fans weigh a bit and the last thing you want is to have a spinning metal blades fall onto your tenants Head :eek:

I do recommend the remote control one Omega Smeg I use as they are quiet and you dont need to run wires to the wall which can be difficult to impossible wubject to the wall material.

They use very little power as well compared to AC and mine are 5 yearsold and going stron being on all the night from Dec to March.

Cheap ones can be noisy and wearout.

Lastly consider the ceiling height and the fan height when adding the light. DOnt want to be too low.

Peter 147

This is the time of year to look around at most major retailers as they have fans being cleared out as their winter stock is arriving in stores, I had bought 6 fans for my PPOR @ $35.00 ea, did not like the controls so I went out and bought some slimline ones that look like dimmer switches, still all up fan and control under $65.00.
The real shock was installation, as a guide what you would normally pay for a fan retail is what you will pay for it to be installed, multiply that by how many fans you want installed as a rough guide. That has been my experiance!
Regards
John

Dear Ebbie

I have just replaced some old 4 blade rattan fans for airflow brand with 3 blades. The 3 blades (solid metal) are far superior for pushing out air.

They come with a series 2000 Clipsal fan controller (same size as a normal light switch with a removable PVC cover that clips over the base).

Mine were purchased at local Ideal store for $49 each. I am a burnt out old electrician so being able to install them myself not sure what you would be charged in your area.

Definitely would not try to plug them into a lampholder as they need solid mounting and installation by qualified electrical contractor.

Regards

Gladstone42 said:
I have just replaced some old 4 blade rattan fans for airflow brand with 3 blades. The 3 blades (solid metal) are far superior for pushing out air.
Are 3 blades really better than 4 blades?

Ebbie said:
Are 3 blades really better than 4 blades?

I have heard this as well.

However persoanlly i like the fully remote control ones being easier to wire and I dont think you can get remote control three blade.

ALso consider the noise factor or low end motor versus high end if your are using whilst asleep.

Peter 147

Back