Censorship on the Forum

There are people on this forum who (for a usurious fee) are offering 30% annual investment returns - a long tern impossibility.

Where exactly do they make this offer. Can you please point it out to me?

When I spoke out against this sort of silliness, my posts were deleted by the SS mods.

It wasn't what you wrote - it was the way you wrote it, and the continued badgering and potentially defamatory content which got deleted.

Do the magnanimous owners of this site approve of what is going on?

If you have a problem with the moderation, please contact me to discuss - [email protected] ... if you are unhappy with the response you get from me, you are more than welcome to contact Ian directly.

Somehow I don't think that's true JPH.

It is quite a coincidence that both you and andyz share the same IP address.

It seems that you have an axe to grind perhaps?

Well, that pretty much sums things up.

Forums such as this have to be careful about things like defamation. It's common sense.

A couple things....apart from one poster I could not see anything defamatory. I tried to shut that down....but healthy discussion is good. A simple PM would have done the trick.

The abuse if not hurled at you...but at why it was closed off. It seems that this topic was generating interest....I must have had about 10 PMs supporting some of my commentary....so obviously resonating well.

What made me quite angry is that Jacque who I have met...made the claim that I hide behind posts. You having met me know very well I am straight shooter...

As for lawyers it was NOT directed at you...I suggested to people if they feel agrieved I know some people.

Note I am not having a go at you personally...just raising the concern as to why it was shutdown. These things are very healthy as many people have has poor experiences with buyers agent. There are one or two who I would recommend....but when people do stupid things...they deserver to be shut down...

This exercise has been very valuable....can't wait meet some of the posters at the next SS meeting. :)

As for the complainers...hopefully they don't have vested interests....

All good.....now. Thanks for responding ....my faith in humanity has been restored. :D

First up, I didn't close the thread. It was done by the moderation team. However, after having read the thread and some of the discussion behind the scene (which you have not been a party to), I fully support the decision to close the thread.

Some of the posts have been borderline defamatory and were not really on topic with the original discussion.

Umm ... sash - I think you should get your facts straight before going off like this.

Jacque is not, nor has she ever been a moderator on this site. She had no influence over the discussion or the thread being closed.

I have known Jacque for a very long time - she is never one to shy away from a debate on topics that she is both knowledgeable and passionate about - and will gladly discuss anything you want to know about buyers agents.

I sincerely suggest you start a new thread if you want to continue the discussion from what Jacque posted - I think buyers agents is a valid topic of conversation on this site and will generate a lot of interest.

As for the moderators making decisions about closing threads - these things are never done in isolation. We have a private discussion area where all such actions are discussed amongst the team - and actions are never final, they can always be undone if we change our mind.

sash, please stop posting like you are some anonymous person hiding behind a keyboard. You know me, I know you, we've talked many times at various meetups ... I am a human being who has feelings, not some mindless bureaucrat who gets paid to put up with abuse being hurled at them. I expected better from you.

I normally don't honour posts like yours with a response - and I don't respond to entreaties to "make my response a good one", however, since there are other people who were interested in that thread, I thought it reasonable to explain and correct any misinformation or misunderstandings.

There is robust discussion and then there is dragging a thread off topic with borderline defamatory postings and badgering. I don't care if you have the best barristers in the world - I have neither the time, nor the inclination to defend myself in court over something that someone else wrote on our forum.

You and I have had this discussion in the past sash - I've made it clear that I don't respond to bullying from lawyers or people with commercial interests who don't like what people are writing on the forums ... but at the same time, we do make our own judgements as to what is appropriate and what is not.

If someone complains about a post or thread and we agree that it steps over the line, we will take action as we deem necessary.

Last edited:
Where exactly do they make this offer. Can you please point it out to me?

You guys deleted his reference to the magical 30% and now you ask us to show you the proof that the post was even made in the first place.

If you have a problem with the moderation, please contact me to discuss - [email protected] ... if you are unhappy with the response you get from me, you are more than welcome to contact Ian directly.

So if we are unhappy with Moderation we should complain to the Moderators?

Sounds very 1984 to me.

Why not buy a caravan park for like 400k and rent it out with permenant tenants for like 30% yield and clear $50kpa cashflow? :D

True...it has gotten interesting in the last 2-3 weeks. :)

Having been a poster for a while it seems to happen when the property market hots...the SS equivalent of a full moon! ;)

Lets hold the next SS meeting at Baulkham Hills....where I can have robust discussions with some on the post.:p

As I said...no need to worry...I don't have a criminal record.

All good.

sash was complaining to me at our last meetup that the forum was getting boring :p

OK One World...lets leave this one alone and bed it.....I don't we are going to get the answer...ever. :)

You guys deleted his reference to the magical 30% and now you ask us to show you the proof that the post was even made in the first place.

Really impartial of you Sim.

Note I am not having a go at you personally...just raising the concern as to why it was shutdown. These things are very healthy as many people have has poor experiences with buyers agent. There are one or two who I would recommend....but when people do stupid things...they deserver to be shut down...

Just for clarity, the discussion thread in question started out as a specific question about Nathan's company and offerings.

From there it broadened at times into a generic discussion about buyers agents, but it always came back to specifics about Nathan's business.

The thread was closed because it was starting to become problematic for us in relation to the original topic, not because of any general discussion about buyers agents.

As I've already said - I welcome and encourage general discussion about buyers agents on the forum.

However, I will caution - the tone of some posters in their open hostility towards buyers agents in general is problematic too. It lowers the tone of the forum and introduces an overly emotional element which starts to preclude reasoned discussion.

We went through similar many years ago in relation to real estate agents - the constant bashing of agents on the site became a major problem and many people complained about the tone of the site at the time.

Just FYI - given recent information in relation to the original poster of the thread in question, I may well end up needing to delete the entire thread, but if that happens, I will salvage what I can of the general discussion about buyers agents and split that into a new thread.

So if we are unhappy with Moderation we should complain to the Moderators? Sounds very 1984 to me.

I am the administrator - I run the site and make the day to day decisions about how the site is operated. If you have a problem, you complain to me about it. It is my responsibility to deal with such complaints.

As I said, feel free to complain to Ian if you aren't happy with my response.

Would you prefer a higher power? I can probably find a minister (religious or political - you choose) for you to complain to.

Sim....you cannot control social media...I believe the chances of defamation proceeding is not good ... because of what is posted on the internet is a complex area. Unless it has hate messages...it is hard to police.

There are sites out there people post their disatisfaction with companies. This is a good thing as it keeps business on their toes.

Clearly businesses which are unethical will end up on a current affair or on social media sites. This is people power and it cannot be stopped....nor should it be.

Personally, i though there was a balance about opinions about buyers agents...however the actions and commentary of some buyers agents has probably done some damage to their business already. I call it karma....integrity in business is very important.

A word of advice for businesses...if you do the wrong thing people can now tell thousands of people with one internet post.

Just for clarity, the discussion thread in question started out as a specific question about Nathan's company and offerings.

From there it broadened at times into a generic discussion about buyers agents, but it always came back to specifics about Nathan's business.

The thread was closed because it was starting to become problematic for us in relation to the original topic, not because of any general discussion about buyers agents.

As I've already said - I welcome and encourage general discussion about buyers agents on the forum.

However, I will caution - the tone of some posters in their open hostility towards buyers agents in general is problematic too. It lowers the tone of the forum and introduces an overly emotional element which starts to preclude reasoned discussion.

We went through similar many years ago in relation to real estate agents - the constant bashing of agents on the site became a major problem and many people complained about the tone of the site at the time.

Just FYI - given recent information in relation to the original poster of the thread in question, I may well end up needing to delete the entire thread, but if that happens, I will salvage what I can of the general discussion about buyers agents and split that into a new thread.

This is clearly contradicting.

How?

Ip addresses are provable. Simple statement of fact

Claims about business activities on a name and shame basis are highly problematic. I used to moderate a car forum and had the same issues.

Did we? So what is the problem then? You're complaining about someone promoting something that has been deleted? Doesn't that solve the problem?

Are you perhaps referring to this post: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1054044#post1054044 ??

Again, show me where Nathan solicits business and promises you 30% returns "for a usurious fee"? That's not what I read in that post ... or were you referring to a different post?

When some young gun on SS offers investors an enticing 30% annual yield (for a fee of course) surely we have the right to query it?

Sim you folks have a responsibility to protect forumites from such blatant mendacity.

Even Warren Buffett himswelf has never been able to return a 30% annual yield!

Please do your job impartially and responsibly.

to be fair, i read the post you are alluding too. Didn't seem to me to be an offer, but more of a throw away line boasting about a recent purchase. unless there was something else.

OK...so they go down the legal path....

How do you think shareholders will react if court case is publicized?

Do you think people will believe a business or the layman on the street?

How?

Claims about business activities on a name and shame basis are highly problematic. I used to moderate a car forum and had the same issues.

How?

Same IP yet both online?

I like Nathan's zeal and his joie de vivre.

But its the 30% claim that I find to be unbelievable. It seems too good to be true.

Maybe he can come to this thread and explain it better? I will be happy to be proven wrong but I don't think even Warren Buffett has claimed to earn 30% pa

Sim, this isnt exactly Gutnick v Dow Jones. Nobody has been defamed.

I've seen letters from lawyers regarding such activities. For a forum it is a concern.

So if we are unhappy with Moderation we should complain to the Moderators?

Sounds very 1984 to me.

One World

Nathan alluded to a $400,000 investment with a 30% yield and $50,000pa clear cashflow, that would seem to be a 30% gross yield and a 12% net yield.

Did you do your due diligence as to whether the 30% was a net or gross yield?

Hey Sim...when are you arranging the next meet-up ...make it Baulkham Hills....I want to ensure that I am not an anonymous poster! :D

Back