Centerlink payments with conditions

Watching ACA or TT this week, an they were discussing the use of the BasicsCard which some recipients will be issued, as around 70% of the payment could quarantined.
It has been used in some parts of the country, and is being extended to others. When there is a concern the children are not being taken cared of this card is issued. Instead of buying smokes,drugs,gambling,fast food they can only use this card for rent,utilities and other responsible purchases.

I found the negative reaction to this as normal..since the recipients want to have control what they waste "their" money on.

I don't think we should discrimate. I think all Centerlink recipients should have this BasicsCard.
Being able to track and restrict certain items will help.Of course it will not curtail the barter system with some people.

Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits.

I love those shows!!
Just because you don't like the show, doesn't mean there isn't anything you can learn from them.

The fact you 2 don't seem to like them, doesn't surprise me a bit.

I love those shows!!
Just because you don't like the show, doesn't mean there isn't anything you can learn from them.

The fact you 2 don't seem to like them, doesn't surprise me a bit.

i agree with your sentiments about the card.

i disagree with the notion that ACA and TT are "current affairs" - when they're just "distractionist affairs" designed to keep the masses entertained and disinformed.

i agree with your sentiments about the card.

i disagree with the notion that ACA and TT are "current affairs" - when they're just "distractionist affairs" designed to keep the masses entertained and disinformed.

This. This is bang on the money.

It is lowest common denominator television designed to agree with lowest common denominator instincts about immigrant lebanese washing repair agents ripping off the widows of war veterans.

The type of show that people who say "I'm not racist but..." or "I'm not homophobic but..." use as justification.

This. This is bang on the money.

It is lowest common denominator television designed to agree with lowest common denominator instincts about immigrant lebanese washing repair agents ripping off the widows of war veterans.

The type of show that people who say "I'm not racist but..." or "I'm not homophobic but..." use as justification.

Yes I am sure that kathryn has remembbered how many times she rhas read her freinds on the forum take the absolute mickey out of these shows (And the peopel who wathc them) for pandering to the lowest common denominator in society, which thinking reasonable people would nopt not fall for that crap - all the time this has come up, with very few posts saying the opposite

oh the ironing....

I don't think we should discrimate. I think all Centerlink recipients should have this BasicsCard.

Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits.
I totally agree.

You know that Centrelink recipients get rent allowance. It goes to them with the rest of their money. There is no guarantee that they will use it to pay their rent. If they are having a hard time financially, the first thing they do is stop their rent payments.

Having a swag of properties in a low socio area, you soon learn that they can get extra payments from various charities, as well as the housing department if they don't pay their rent. Having a card that can only be used on essentials would curb this double dipping that goes on.

I totally agree.

You know that Centrelink recipients get rent allowance. It goes to them with the rest of their money. There is no guarantee that they will use it to pay their rent. If they are having a hard time financially, the first thing they do is stop their rent payments.

Having a swag of properties in a low socio area, you soon learn that they can get extra payments from various charities, as well as the housing department if they don't pay their rent. Having a card that can only be used on essentials would curb this double dipping that goes on.

Still, if we just stopped helping people altogether, like totally.

Cause it's that simple - it's all their fault,

Wouldn't that be easier and more effective in curbing double dipping and all that crap then jsut tinkering at the eddges of the program which exist now and doesnt; work and the cuase of so much complaint ?? get rid of it all !! problem solved !!

Then people don't have to ever be ashamed of having being welfare dependant either

Win win for eveyrobody hooray

Ir you are getting handouts for certain things like rent etc, then it is not unreasonable for it to be expected by the payer (ie Centrelink) that the money be used for that purpose. Anyone who gives out money expects the same...

Ir you are getting handouts for certain things like rent etc, then it is not unreasonable for it to be expected by the payer (ie Centrelink) that the money be used for that purpose. Anyone who gives out money expects the same...

Exactly! ;)

Yes I am sure that kathryn has remembbered how many times she rhas read her freinds on the forum take the absolute mickey out of these shows (And the peopel who wathc them) for pandering to the lowest common denominator in society, which thinking reasonable people would nopt not fall for that crap - all the time this has come up, with very few posts saying the opposite

oh the ironing....

These shows are entertaining and informative.
People fall for scams all the time. We can all be fooled by people who make their living doing this.
Showing how some businesses cut corners, and try to mislead people is a good use of these shows.
For example adding ingredients and making meat look fresh, rolling back odometers,selling vehicles as undamaged when they have been.
Showing damage by tenants, and still getting Centrelink and moved to another public housing accommodation. The good tenants may never really see the damage that LLs need to deal with.
LLs who cannot return to their home, because the tenant won't leave..even when they haven't paid the rent.
There are a few subjects I disagree with. One was concerning a pensioner not being to afford to survive, and running out of money quickly. I would love for there to be a "frugal" person there to show how easy it could be.

After the Centrelink story, they had a story about which dishwashing liquid is best. Very informative!!

Did it expose all the nast existing dishwashing liquids and how they have mbeen ripping us off ? Hopefully they confornoted one bottle while it was trying to sneak out of the carpark undetected in his car and the reporter and cameraman caught up with him and forced the tough questions on them

Sensational bull sh i t not even 1/2 presented as anything else and people still pay attnetion to it :confused:

i'm banned from watching it because i wake the kids with my yelling and screaming at the television.

I find myself doing that and rolling my eyes :rolleyes: if I have to sit through the ads, let alone the whole program. I dont need to know how someone has lost weight, found a difficult tenant/landlord, had cosmetic surgery etc...... I just cant see how it is classified as current affairs.
and the attitude really rubs me up the wrong way. Its all so overly dramatic, judgemental and makes out that these issues are so important....

drives me crazy

I find myself doing that and rolling my eyes :rolleyes: if I have to sit through the ads, let alone the whole program. I dont need to know how someone has lost weight, found a difficult tenant/landlord, had cosmetic surgery etc...... I just cant see how it is classified as current affairs.
and the attitude really rubs me up the wrong way. Its all so overly dramatic, judgemental and makes out that these issues are so important....

drives me crazy

It's supposed to be like that, cause that's what people want and it tells it like it really really is, not like eveyeron else does.....

I don't know what's wrong you, Aaron & I.

now the thread is well and truly off topic..
60 mins is comparable, interviews are truly dumbed down with repitition so you...realllllllllyyyyy....unddderrrsssstannnnnddd.. PO being the king of the pile in his interview technique.

for example:
interviewer: how did you feel about losing your child in the house fire?
interviewed: It was indescribable, the loss was beyond description
interviewer: you mean you felt extremely upset?
interviewed: yes it was unbearable
interviewer: in what ways was it unbearable?
interviewed: just existing basically
interviewer: in what ways of existing did you find it unbearable?
etc

When I watch those shows and I see the popularity... frankly its a worry that they are appealing to the masses. For most people this is the source of whats going on in the world like my in-laws hang on these programs contents as the final word

Back