Centerlink payments with conditions

i quite liked 6.30 with George Negus.... but its just been axed!! So, obviously "real" stories arent popular.

In terms of the original topic of Centrelink benefits, I am concerned that we would be making them even more dependent upon welfare and taking even more control from their lives. I think its better to give people a chance to manage their own money and only step in if people are mis-managing it.

On the original topic, iI think the conclusion hat the OP came to tells us mclearly - no one knows, but we will listen to somethign sensationally presented to to stir up our emotions as long it agrees with what we thought might be true (wheter we were are sure or not)....

Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits.

What's the opposite of "Maybe it will help " ?
Is is Maybe it won;t ?

How can a person suggest this is a good idea, when they admit that they don't know if it will work ? :confused:

but we will listen to somethign sensationally presented to to stir up our emotions as long it agrees with what we thought might be true (wheter we were are sure or not)....
:

Actually, I'm a bit opposite to that. If I hear a sensationalist argument, I tend to think it must be wrong, and start listening out for the opposite views. If people make reasoned, quiet arguments, I'm much more likely to listen and consider it.

I dont think I posted this yet on this forum.. whats really scary is when I find myself agreeing with Alan Jones and the Greens and they are agreeing with each other! what is the world coming to!

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/a...-together-in-mining-fight-20111019-1m85u.html

Actually, I'm a bit opposite to that. If I hear a sensationalist argument, I tend to think it must be wrong, and start listening out for the opposite views. If people make reasoned, quiet arguments, I'm much more likely to listen and consider it.

I dont think I posted this yet on this forum.. whats really scary is when I find myself agreeing with Alan Jones and the Greens and they are agreeing with each other! what is the world coming to!

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/a...-together-in-mining-fight-20111019-1m85u.html

Perhaps I should have said: On the original topic, I think the conclusion that the OP came to tells us clearly "Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits. "- no one knows, but obviously some people will listen to something sensationally presented to stir up emotions, as long it agrees with what we thought might be true....

"Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits. "

What's the opposite of "Maybe it will help" ?
Is it "Maybe it won't help" ?

How can a person suggest this is a good idea, when they admit that they don't know if it will work ?

I love watching the Press Club Address

Alan Jones was on the ABC, in the middle of the day at the same time as Ellen and Dr Phil. Being on holidays from work this week, I watched the Press Club address. The rest of the country probably didnt, you guys excluded.

The really sad underlying issue is the impact on our (Western) belief system.
There is a reason why migrants choose to migrate to western societies (both rich and poor migrants but for different reasons).

Our culture is founded on christian principles. So we have this inbuilt belief that we must help fellow mankind.

But here is where it breaks down.

Instead of gratitude for the welfare (thank you my fellow australians for helping me in this difficult spot we are facing). It evolves into a sense of entitlement. I am poor therefore i am entitled to this welfare. Its mine, i deserve it and i should get more.

A system whereby gratitude for 'freebies' changes into entitlement for 'freebies' over time breaks down.

But like everything else when it comes to me, i am only an individual, i cannot change the system. So instead i focus on profiting from the system.

It is to my financial wellbeing (at least from the point of view of my businesses) that the current situation continues. I profit from it, because it provides a liquid source of labour for my businesses. They are getting their entitlements, and are happy to work to make extra money, but they need to fly under the radar. I am happy to provide such a medium. They are happy they get their entitlements + benefits. I am happy because i get my loyal labour supply.

I win and they win and i owe a debt of gratitude to my taxpaying fellow australians.:D

Perhaps I should have said: On the original topic, I think the conclusion that the OP came to tells us clearly "Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits. "- no one knows, but obviously some people will listen to something sensationally presented to stir up emotions, as long it agrees with what we thought might be true....

"Maybe the more restrictive benefits become, the more incentive there is to get off benefits. "

What's the opposite of "Maybe it will help" ?
Is it "Maybe it won't help" ?

How can a person suggest this is a good idea, when they admit that they don't know if it will work ?

I do not like welfare in the form it takes now.
All it is doing is dooming future generations to poverty.
We have people in our society (and I include Canada) who's main job is to bear children..but not properly raise them.

Centrelink has a responsibilty to the taxpayers. We are paying for people to not work. At the moment using the basicscard is voluntary unless the recipient has been deemed to be untrustworthy.

I think you would find there is very little shame left in society. I get the feeling it is worn more as a "badge of honor" to rort the system.
Only when more restrictions on the money provided is in place, will it have an impact.Some may include:
1)Not being able to purchase cable/sateliite tv
2)Not being permitted to have mobile phones
3) A very limited internet
4)Not going to movie theatres
5) not going to show grounds
6)Certain foods...in canada lobster, sirloin steaks etc ..the equivalent here
7) not being able to purchase large flat screened tv's, laptops,ipads,iphone etc

These shows are entertaining and informative.
People fall for scams all the time. We can all be fooled by people who make their living doing this.
Showing how some businesses cut corners, and try to mislead people is a good use of these shows.
For example adding ingredients and making meat look fresh, rolling back odometers,selling vehicles as undamaged when they have been.
Showing damage by tenants, and still getting Centrelink and moved to another public housing accommodation. The good tenants may never really see the damage that LLs need to deal with.
LLs who cannot return to their home, because the tenant won't leave..even when they haven't paid the rent.
There are a few subjects I disagree with. One was concerning a pensioner not being to afford to survive, and running out of money quickly. I would love for there to be a "frugal" person there to show how easy it could be.

That's like saying that you take your life lessons from Neighbours! They're both entertainment shows, not educational.

That's like saying that you take your life lessons from Neighbours! They're both entertainment shows, not educational.

I Disagree.
I take life lessons from everywhere.
It is interesting to watch how others handle a situation.
These shows give me insight into people's lives I may not otherwise have the opportunity.

Some here may think they are 'above' watching shows like this.
I do not.
I also do not believe everything I read or hear.

All I wanted to give, in my original posting concerning the BasicsCard from Centrelink, was the source of the story.
Since then I have googled this card.

I shouldn't be, but I am more surprised, of the focus of this thread.

They are piloting the Basics Card in my district, as well as the 'teen mums be studying or working or no benefits' program.

I wonder how many weeks it'll be before you can buy a $100 basics card for $50 cash. Or smokes.

Having seen first hand several times how people on welfare can waste their money while ignoring the essentials I can only feel that something to direct the money back to where it was intended to be used is required.
If nothing else it might result in healthier children. Those that spend their welfare for what its meant for should not be affected.

As a landlord it would reduce chances of a none paying tenant which is only a good thing.

Hope these new 'Basics Cards' have a 'scratchy' panel on the front; might win a pack of Winnnie Blues.

WRT Today Tonight style shows......I can't help but notice all the TV networks have turned their News programs into the same, shitey, dumbed down, Womans' Day & Sunrise formula. Even the ABC24 channel has two hosts doing the News slot as an inane, small talk, & giggle fest.

Clearly the top TV execs know their target audiences very well. All their shows are pitched at the cast from 'Dumb Street', the two herpes inflicted voyeurs on Fast Forward, all the ute driving full sleeve tattooed bogans, all the blubber gutted single mum bogan bitches, all the knuckle dragging morons who think they are owed 'mining jobs', and anyone at all who is likely to ball their eyes out at any form of emotive, over-acted tragedy style news story.........the word 'lemmings' comes to mind for some reason. I think i've just described 98.7% of Australias population too.

Ian.

I agree that the Basics Card is a great idea.

The welfare system is supposed to be a safety net for those who find themselves in a difficult situation - temporarily - but it is being abused by a portion of society.

If that portion can't be mature enough to be responsible for how they spend the money given to them by working taxpayers, then perhaps (like children) decisions need to be made for them.

I put it up there with reading in the local paper about the elderly woman lamenting that she was being removed from her department of housing property that was deemed unsafe ... her beef was that she had lived there her entire life after her parents originally moved in when she was 3 years old.

Both are bug bears of mine.

So, she had spent nearly 70yrs in a taxpayer paid property. Lived by herself in a 3 bedder. Was upset at being evicted. No mention of the desparate families with kids who would be immensely grateful for 3 bedrooms, or that she had obviously made no effort to get off the welfare system in her 70yrs.

Its families like this that make me wonder if we should follow China and set a limit on children per adult.
At the very least the Baby bonus and large family benefits for over 3 children should be scrapped or capped.

Sorry if it offends anyone but it seems crazy for a family of that size to be having another baby while crying poor and requesting government assistance.

Hope these new 'Basics Cards' have a 'scratchy' panel on the front; might win a pack of Winnnie Blues.

WRT Today Tonight style shows......I can't help but notice all the TV networks have turned their News programs into the same, shitey, dumbed down, Womans' Day & Sunrise formula. Even the ABC24 channel has two hosts doing the News slot as an inane, small talk, & giggle fest.

Clearly the top TV execs know their target audiences very well. All their shows are pitched at the cast from 'Dumb Street', the two herpes inflicted voyeurs on Fast Forward, all the ute driving full sleeve tattooed bogans, all the blubber gutted single mum bogan bitches, all the knuckle dragging morons who think they are owed 'mining jobs', and anyone at all who is likely to ball their eyes out at any form of emotive, over-acted tragedy style news story.........the word 'lemmings' comes to mind for some reason. I think i've just described 98.7% of Australias population too.

Ian.

Nah; penguins. ;)

LMAO!!! at your post...good one :D

Ian.

Where are all the usual bleeding hearts from this forum who will, no doubt, attack the author of the above post, and thus, provide some hilarity to my otherwise boring Sunday? :D

Its families like this that make me wonder if we should follow China and set a limit on children per adult.
At the very least the Baby bonus and large family benefits for over 3 children should be scrapped or capped.

Sorry if it offends anyone but it seems crazy for a family of that size to be having another baby while crying poor and requesting government assistance.

You'd think having three kids with special needs would be enough to stop you from having more

Back