Christmas card / gift to tenant ?

Figure by giving a garden center voucher its likely to be spent on the property, but also looks nice to the tennant as they know I've kept in mind what they might like. Also I'd like to reward these guys for the patience they've had with a few situations (dishwasher not working etc) since moving in a couple of months ago. win win situation.

My tenants just got a new toilet, revamped clothes line and the pleasure of living in a lovely home that they don't have to spend money on.

My PM gets the pleasure of deducting money from me each month while she does a cr@p job.

Maybe I'm just grumpy today ;)

While I do not currently have an IP (sold the last one to free up cash for business)

I always gave our tenants a little something for Christmas. Why? for the same reason as we give staff and major customers and suppliers a little something...just to show that we are in fact human beings and that our success is linked to their presence.

Our business would not be able to survice at all without good staff, good paying customers and great suppliers. Our IP was the same without a good tenant who paid their rent we could not have held the property at all. (If they didn't pay their rent on time - they got "sacked" ie the lease was not renewed.)

My dear departed Nana taught me that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar!! Of course I realise that there are ars#$%ole tenants out there (they are probably ars#$%ole employees too), but the majority of people are relatively hardworking folk who just wnat to live their lives.

My 2c

We used to give our tenants a weeks free rent at Christmas but it didn't improve relations. They are happy to take advantage of our good nature and I now believe that it makes us appear weak. So now it's strictly business.

Cheers,

Bazza

I like to give the tenants a small gift in the properties I manage myself, I think it just makes it easier next time something needs repair or I see them for an inspection etc. Besides I'm saving a bit on not using a PM.

The ones that are managed by a PM, I just make sure the PM gets a nice Chrissy card.

Btw, apart from vouchers, whats an easy gift to post interstate? Chocolates melt and wine is too heavy, we did movie tickets this year as we couldn't think of anything else.

I'd feel a bit dodgy giving the tenants a Christmas present - because of timing it would be closely followed by notice of rent increasing. I know they are seperate events but just doesnt seem right - here you go have a nice pressie oh & by the way heres a rent increase.

Cheers
Stella

We have a few tenants in our office who actually drop in presents for us to forward on to their landlords. it is very nice of them, but can get a bit annoying for us when the landlord lives overseas or interstate and we then have to pay the postage. We usually ring the landlord and let them know and they all usually say just for us to keep it and share it amongst the staff... usually it is just chocolate or wine.

I'd feel a bit dodgy giving the tenants a Christmas present - because of timing it would be closely followed by notice of rent increasing. I know they are seperate events but just doesnt seem right - here you go have a nice pressie oh & by the way heres a rent increase.

Cheers
Stella

I found this a good time to ensure that all repairs were taken care of. The current tenant feels that you care and if they should decide to vacate the property is in tip top shape to let. :)

I like to give the tenants a small gift in the properties I manage myself, I think it just makes it easier next time something needs repair or I see them for an inspection etc. Besides I'm saving a bit on not using a PM.

The ones that are managed by a PM, I just make sure the PM gets a nice Chrissy card.

Btw, apart from vouchers, whats an easy gift to post interstate? Chocolates melt and wine is too heavy, we did movie tickets this year as we couldn't think of anything else.

I would never post but rather have delivered from a local store. But avoid interflora etc at all costs because you get rubbish value for your money. If local enough they might be happy to drop it aroudn for no delivery fee. I know that often works for me.

Back