Coffee Snob...

Finally bought a decent cup of coffee today.
Thought we'd go for a drive today and ended up in Yass,NSW.Even though we had our water bottles and cake with us, we wanted a mid afternoon snack.Stopped at decent looking take away and placed our order. We said we would like to have 2 coffees, but wished we could just have an instant coffee. "Certainly !! How do you take it?" We couldn't believe it. Finally drank coffee we actually enjoyed.
Sat at a little table outside eating our corn dog and french fries..drinking coffee. Wow, the ambiance was more than we could imagined.
Loved it.

Coffee with French fries, personally never tried this as didn't think would mix too well. Is it reccommended??

It's sounds like you had a nice day out kathryn. Good on you.

Work, cleaning the spa and patio, grocery shopping, washing and what seems like a house full of wannabe DJ's (fortunately i like their music) for me.

Thank you..it was.
We stopped off at Cockington Greens, but couldn't justify wasting $35 to look at a bunch of cheap looking miniture models (saw some thru the gates)
Had a browse at the other shops in that area too.

Charlieandkath,
Coffee goes with everything:) even french fries..even though I know they are called chips here.(but I didn't want you to think I meant the ones in the bags)

Coffee with French fries, personally never tried this as didn't think would mix too well. Is it reccommended??

What is everyones favourite food with coffee?? Depending on what time of day it is this changes for me. Breakfast - bacon and eggs, pancakes. Morning tea - sweet buscuit of some sort. Lunch - panini, toasted sambo. Pretty boring eh?? Any good reccommendations?

What is everyones favourite food with coffee??

Deep fried onion rings with a sprinkling of paprika and garlic sauce.....but only for breakfast. A healthy portion of those, washed down with a steaming hot mug of international roast is the perfect start to any day.

Deep fried onion rings with a sprinkling of paprika and garlic sauce.....but only for breakfast. A healthy portion of those, washed down with a steaming hot mug of international roast is the perfect start to any day.

Yumm..I love onion rings with ketchup:D

What is a corn dog?? Are they those fried things like Chiko rolls, but with corn in them??

I think they called it a corn jack here...but it is a pogo... cornmeal batter wrapped around a weiner on a stick and then deep fried. I don't like them..but Rob does.

Did you perhaps mean to replace the mug of coffee with a bottle of bourbon ?

Sounds heaps tougher than pansy coffee

What is everyones favourite food with coffee?? Depending on what time of day it is this changes for me. Breakfast - bacon and eggs, pancakes. Morning tea - sweet buscuit of some sort. Lunch - panini, toasted sambo. Pretty boring eh?? Any good reccommendations?

Fun:)

Our days...can be complicated, usually it's nice to ...uh...ummm....share some ideas with Mr OO if possible.:p

An assortment of ideas and theory and a little practical engagement.

Then we usually have a few hours of chores and work to attend to, so it's water until about 0830hrs.

Kettle is boiled, plunger is organised, either muesli or porridge first course. Maybe a poached egg on slice of pana de casa. small bowl of fresh fruit salad I always have a supply of made in fridge -oh hand, over summer...

Occasionally it differs depending on whom is here for breakfast, sometimes pancakes is substituted.

Coffee always is after the food. Sometimes just the one, (I might only ever have one cup a day, if somewhere I buy another, but fussy about it). Sometimes I have two in the morning.

Rest of the time I am a water drinker and green tea, probably 2 a day, one in an afternoon if I can, always a green tea hour after main evening meal.

Teatime lately we have a craving and obsession for lambshanks and vegetables...gone off the leg of lamb and really enjoying the shanks...

Lunch is usually some kind of protein, (fish, chicken, a meat of some sort) and salad. If we are home it's followed by my famous fresh fruit salad. Snacks are fresh, unsalted nuts, almonds, walnuts cashews...and water. We carry our water with us, always...

So, as much as I love a decent coffee, it might only ever be one a day, sometimes none, but occasionally can be 2 or 3, nothing after 3pm tho'.

Breakfast is usually mid-late morning and always starts off with a coffee.
It will usually be a cheese,tomato,onion omelet with toast or the 10 minute oatmeal porridge with chopped up apricots cooked in it. Occassionally I will make french toast (I think you call it egg-milk toast?) or homemade pancakes with stewed apricots on top. Rob found an apricot tree, but they are almost finished..unsure what the next fruit will be.

Unless we have an early breakfast, we generally don't eat lunch.Coffee 2-3 times in the afternoon.Will usually have a snack of cake or a drumstick (if we have any)

Supper...you call dinner/ teatime...is usually meat and potatoes with a vegetable.Generally drink cordial or water with it. Dessert of some kind if I made any.

Evening is usually 2-3 cups of coffee, and maybe a piece of cake..or a plate of crackers,cheese and olives....or mini pizzas (toast with barbeque sauce, topped with sliced fresh tomates,pizza spices,mushrooms,cheese and popped in oven for 5 minutes until cheese melts.

Except in Yass,NSW and they called it a corn jack

Hmmm..now I'm confused again. To me, a corn JACK is a deep fried roll (made by the Chiko company), with a corn and vegetable filling, whereas a corn DOG (or dagwood dog) is a battered and fried hot dog sausage, often on a stick.

Not that it really matters at all :eek:....so long as Rob enjoyed whatever it was, thats all that matters really, right.:)

Hmmm..now I'm confused again. To me, a corn JACK is a deep fried roll (made by the Chiko company), with a corn and vegetable filling, whereas a corn DOG (or dagwood dog) is a battered and fried hot dog sausage, often on a stick.

Not that it really matters at all :eek:....so long as Rob enjoyed whatever it was, thats all that matters really, right.:)

You could be right, but the man serving us was very hard to understand..and we just pointed to the "thing on a stick":) in the food lineup.
It was definately what you are describing as a dagwood dog.

Yep.
Most people leave it way too long and it tastes very sour & burnt.
Good coffee should require little or no sugar.
And it should be a low flame to start with.

A snob is someone who does it because someone else does it.
Who says it's good because he read it a book or the internets.
Taste and smell are different for everyone.
And some people, especially smokers, can smell or taste much.
So it makes no difference to them.
And some of us are a bit more refined than oil rig workers :p

I was taught the cafeteria style by my wife's parents, who are Italian. I stand there and watch it and pull it of the heat at the exact right time and stick it in cold water. Stops it dead.

I was an early adopter of the espresso machine, But i packed it up and went back to the stove top.

Yep.
Most people leave it way too long and it tastes very sour & burnt.
Good coffee should require little or no sugar.
And it should be a low flame to start with.

A snob is someone who does it because someone else does it.
Who says it's good because he read it a book or the internets.
Taste and smell are different for everyone.
And some people, especially smokers, can smell or taste much.
So it makes no difference to them.
And some of us are a bit more refined than oil rig workers :p

Oh yes, too long is bad... As for the "snob" part, I was intending the traditional use of the word:

Meaning "person who vulgarly apes his social superiors" arose 1843, popularized 1848 by William Thackeray's "Book of Snobs." The meaning later broadened to include those who insist on their gentility, in addition to those who merely aspire to it, and by 1911 had its main modern sense of "one who despises those considered inferior in rank, attainment, or taste."
;)

I don't do it because others do, I do it because I can... the rest are merely the unrefined masses ;)

With a Giotto, you need to move away from those 'appliance' brands for a good grinder. Here's a few suggestions in ascending order:

Cunill Tranquilo
Compak K3
Mazzer Mini

Ok HappyCamper, thanks to you I have just had the best coffee I have ever made. We ended up getting the Mini Mazzer. Took me one hour this morning to get the perfect grind but I'm there now. Absolutely awesome.

Just in time for the first charity event we are doing aswell. Cure our Kids on the 15th of Feb. We are going to make coffees and sell ribbons.

On another note, are there any good coffee shops in Coogee, Sydney? A shop where they are really passionate about coffee and you get good customer service. Anyone know that area?

Ok HappyCamper, thanks to you I have just had the best coffee I have ever made. We ended up getting the Mini Mazzer. Took me one hour this morning to get the perfect grind but I'm there now. Absolutely awesome.

Just in time for the first charity event we are doing aswell. Cure our Kids on the 15th of Feb. We are going to make coffees and sell ribbons.

On another note, are there any good coffee shops in Coogee, Sydney? A shop where they are really passionate about coffee and you get good customer service. Anyone know that area?

Good to hear! I also use a Mazzer for my grinding. I don't know Coogee particularly well, so can't recommend anything. Are you after a cafe or just beans? If it's just beans (or coffee machines/grinders), Bondi Junction has Di Bartoli just outside Westfield.

Good to hear! I also use a Mazzer for my grinding. I don't know Coogee particularly well, so can't recommend anything. Are you after a cafe or just beans? If it's just beans (or coffee machines/grinders), Bondi Junction has Di Bartoli just outside Westfield.

Looking for a cafe in Coogee that makes really good coffee and has a great service level aswell.

Did the charity event today and made about 70 coffees with the Giotto and Mazzer in about three hours. Raised $419.50 for Cure Our Kids.

Back