Compensation for no hot water?

Neill,
It is good it has all worked out for you.
Out of curiouslity, what % were you thinking of?
..and has it changed your opinion of what you may consider to be reasonable in the future? (should you voluntarily decide to compensate)

Thanks Kathryn,

I wasn't thinking in % terms, but if I calculate it back from the monetary value I had in mind it would have been closer to 28%, so fairly significant.

I think it has been a learning exercise, and I think each case needs to be taken on its own merits, but, yes, I guess it has changed my opinion.

Cheers,
Neil.

In this thread, a couple have recycled the old line that a landlord only has to do "everything in their power" or fix "as quickly as possible"; sorry, but that's simply not true. A landlord has a variety of legal obligations, and has to meet them whether they're reasonable or otherwise, or else expect to have to compensate the tenant.

I'm glad, Neill, that you've negotiated a reasonable outcome. Interestingly, the figure I had in mind as a "guesstimate" was 25% of the rent would be reasonable compensation, so we're obviously on a similar wavelength. :cool:

Are you going to try and recoup that rent reduction from Rheem? I doubt you'd have any success, but I'd be tempted to try...

glad to hear it worked out with all being happy.

i know that rentals are a business, but at the end of the day you are dealing with real people ... sometimes we have to compromise to be able to sleep at night, it's all about being part of this community called the human race.

i am also a firm believer in "what goes around comes around" and karma and swings and roundabouts and all that.

Back