Dead tenant...

If your tenant died, would you expect to be paid 28 days rent after their death?

• Nah, I'd just write it off. Poor bugger!

Votes: 35 37.2%
  • I'd hope that it was paid, but I wouldn't aggressively pursue it.

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • I'd absolutely pursue my entitlements - this is business!

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes Jaycee, I have lost both. :(

Sorry to hear that, only my father for me. Does it really take that to happen for people to not be insensitive ? Whagt is with so many people using the word DEMAND this & DEMAN they get their stuff out with in 3 weeks - gees, tell / ask first ! They ahven;t done anything "wrong" !!

Um... just claim the bond.

I wouldn't take it any further though. I also would only claim money I actually lost (eg reletting fees and a few days rent get a new tenant after the keys were handed in).

Sorry to hear that, only my father for me. Does it really take that to happen for people to not be insensitive ? Whagt is with so many people using the word DEMAND this & DEMAN they get their stuff out with in 3 weeks - gees, tell / ask first ! They ahven;t done anything "wrong" !!
I hear you Jaycee, but please don't be disheartened by the "demands" of others; at the end of the day, they are no different to you or me, they just need to brush up on their communication skills, that's all!!! :eek:

I hear you Jaycee, but please don't be disheartened by the "demands" of others; at the end of the day, they are no different to you or me, they just need to brush up on their communication skills, that's all!!! :eek:

Well as funny as it may seem Jaycee is the person who used a word "demand" most in this thread. In fact the only other person to use it was Pushka and she clearly said she wouldn't be demanding, rather requesting.

Talk about communication skills eh ;)

Well as funny as it may seem Jaycee is the person who used a word "demand" most in this thread. In fact the only other person to use it was Pushka and she clearly said she wouldn't be demanding, rather requesting.

Talk about communication skills eh ;)
Steady on Strannik,

In Jaycee's defence, I don't think she was referring to anyone here. I think it was a generalisation of people overall "demanding" others do X, Y or Z (following the death of a loved one).

Luckily, she was didn't make the mistake of referring to those jumping to conclusions!!! :eek: :p

Thanks, Monopoly, I meant it in the wya peopel wer reacting about the rent (without considering thst they already had the bond to cover for it, which would prob;abky mean only paperwork needs to get filled out, raht ther than a big deal with the tenants relatives occuring)

btw, I'm a guy !

John C

If the guy died owing 6 months rent, or had trashed the place, then thats a different story. However, he can hardly be blamed for failing to give notice to vacate.
If you cant survive, losing a months rent then you shouldn't be in this business. If you can survive but chase it anyway, your not a person I would want to know.

Question is where do you stop.

Would you chase money in the following situations:

1. Pregnant single mother with 2 kids moving out w/o a notice
2. Pack of dole bludgers moving out w/o notice.
3. A pensioner moving out w/o notice.
4. A person being accepted into hospital and subsequently moved to nursing home.

If yes, why?

Stop what ?

Are any of the examples even relevant ?

We have discussed that the bnond could & would bne used to cover the rent - it is up to inidivudal's investors if they wan tto do that or not - I haven’t seen anyone, including me , say dn;tgive th ebond back your heartless landlord !

Perhaps you should be more careful than to rent a property to bad eggs like a pack of dole bludgers who had no sense of repsonsibility & that hypothetical situation would not be an issue ?

Stop what ?

We have discussed that the bond could & would be used to cover the rent - it is up to inidivudal's investors if they want to do that or not - I haven’t seen anyone, including me , say don't do that, give the bond back your heartless landlord !

Perhaps you should be more careful than to rent a property to bad eggs like a pack of dole bludgers who had no sense of repsonsibility & that hypothetical situation would not be an issue ?

Monoploy no issue mate !

4. A person being accepted into hospital and subsequently moved to nursing home.

If yes, why?

in today's market - when properties are reletting before they even hit the advertising - nope. i'd just take the owing out of the bond and leave it at that.

the issue i have with the dead guy is that his daughter was taken to the tribunal by an "emotionless" and aggressive landlord who was demanding she pay the 4 weeks rent.

give me a break - she's just buried her dad (and had to take a personal loan out to do so).

personally, i'd just take the bond money for whatever is owing and either return the balance or right off the rest.

p.s. this is assuming my tenants are not 6 months behind - which my excellent pm would never allow. she goes off if they're behind on their two weeks in advance.

What I don’t understand is, if you are going to get your precious 4 weeks rent form the bond… what ELSE would you want ? !

Strannik - My unpopular heartless suggestions ;

1. Don't allow people to be your tenants.

2. Keep it on a professional company to company basis and strictly adhere to contractual law....for both parties protection.

All of this emotional hand wringing, with a washing machine of personal accusations and heartlessness wrapped up in amongst contracts and business objectives just re-inforces our decision years ago to move away from it all.

Stop what ?

We have discussed that the bond could & would be used to cover the rent - it is up to inidivudal's investors if they want to do that or not - I haven’t seen anyone, including me , say don't do that, give the bond back your heartless landlord !

Monoploy no issue mate !
Agree!

And btw Jaycee, I'm female. ;) (Just thought I'd clarify as some people tend to refer to guys as "mate").

What I don’t understand is, if you are going to get your precious 4 weeks rent form the bond… what ELSE would you want ? !

Who said anything about wanting something "else"?

In my view taking bond is still taking someone else's money.

It clearly falls into definition of "I'd absolutely pursue my entitlements - this is business!"

So whether you take it out of a bond, or you request to be paid from estate, there is not much difference in my eyes. Maybe taking money from a bond provides a sense of being 'emotional' and 'sensitive', however i consider it to be hypocritical.

N.S. R.S. said:
Notwithstanding Section 10, where a tenant in a year-to-year tenancy dies and there are no other tenants in the residential premises, the tenant's personal representative may give one month's notice to quit to terminate the tenancy.

I would expect to get paid for the period till the lawful termination date, one calendar month after notice is given, I can't rent the property to someone else, the tenant's personal representative can sue. The property is still in the possession of the estate of the former tenant.

sued by a dead man, typical, must be a Monday.

If yes, why?

#4 actually happened to us a couple of months ago.He called and said he was accepted to a nursing home (he wasn't even that old... 50's) and he had moved out.That was all the notice we received. Since it was winter we had to scurry to have the electricity transfered into our name so the furnace would work and the pipes wouldn't freeze.
We were lucky enough to rent the place out a couple weeks later. We just kept his bond. He very carefully didn't provide any forwarding address.

Is that not the business we've chosen ? In sales, sometimes a slaes rep meets a "good" customer, sometimes a "bad" one, if we worry about blame more than results, then... what did someone else say about focussing on what you wnat to achieve rather, or else you will ge twhat you focus on ? Sounds like you missed out nothing - you got paid.. you wee even lucky in that your own hard work (whose else can we expect) and maybe a good market filled the palce beforer the 4 weeks paid rent were up (unless of course I missed something(?)

Back