dealing with telemarketers

hi all
I find the easiest is to give them your mobil number and ask to ring it in 10 mins and put them on hold on this phone
tell them you are busy and you will come back to them it frees up your land line and multiplys there cost
every so often tell them to ring you back as you want to talk to them.
and put them back on hold after the 4th call tell them to tell there boss how much money they have wasted on mobil phone calls and they are about 100 time more expensive then land line calls from india
most will tell you they need there boss to ok it to ring mobils
so tell them you want to buy there product but they need to ring you on your mobil and use a optus card etc phone account so its not tracable via address.
you never get on there lists again you get a big black mark on all the lists.
I had one of the bosses from an indonesian stock broking company that cold called me and they rang me 9 times over 3 week said that I was a bas---d
and it had cost them alot of money and I told him I did tell the cold seller I was not interested
and if wanted to ring me again ring me on the mobil
I had him on hold for about 2 hrs mobil charges from indonesia would have cost a pritty penny
don't think they will make that mistake again and I don't get cold calls not sure why???

I had one the other day, and after me saying "no" for the 3rd time, and him gibbering on, I said "what did I just say to you?"

He gibbered some more, so I repeated my question. Again he gibbered on, and I repeated my question yet again.:rolleyes:

He finally admitted that he didn't know what I'd said. So I said, "listen carefully.... NO!"

He said, "oh! ok!" And then he hung up.:)

We don't get many as we have an unlisted number.

None the less had one the other day wanting to do a 'survey'.

My answer - 'Yeah sure, my charge is $300 per hour, who do I have to make the bill out to'

The TM goes 'what, I beg your pardon' and various other stumbles.

I think I had to repeat it 3 times to actually get him to understand it.

He terminated the call when I requested to speak to his supervisor to arrange my payment.

Never did find out what the call was about.

Cheers

When my daughter was in high school, she was a telemarketer.
So I guess I take a softer approach. I know for the most part they are working on a commision/bonus pay scale. I politely but firmly say thank you for calling but I'm not interested.Then I just usually hang up.
There have been actually times , especially when it's a credit card company offering me a lower interest rate, that I do listen.

My daughter works for a call center now, a lot easier as people are calling her for help.

I have heard that working in a call centre is an extremely taxing and stressful job. I have also heard that the supervisors watch the workers like hawks and monitor their toilet breaks etc. Does your daughter find that?

Wylie

The Do-Not-Call-Register is coming in May 2007 I believe.

Will be interesting to see if it stops the offshore companies calling into Australia, and if the fines will be followed through with them.

I have heard that working in a call centre is an extremely taxing and stressful job. I have also heard that the supervisors watch the workers like hawks and monitor their toilet breaks etc. Does your daughter find that?

Wylie

She actually enjoys her job. She works for a cell phone company who takes calls from the USA.
She hasn't ever complained of them being watched like hawks.She does find it a lot less stressful than being a telemarketer.
She makes "bonus" every month and not all do that work there.

I had a lady ring and she said she was taking a quick survey of males aged between 18 and 45. I said well that lets me off the hook, she asked why? I said I am only 17!! and burst out laughing as I hung up.
I also tell them when they ask for Mr.Vee that he is away.
One guy said he was taking a 90 second survey...I said "19 seconds!!" next thing he hung up.
I would love to be able to have the time to be able to waste theirs....but it aint gonna happen.
I told my sons to have some fun with the calls. Say that you are Mr Vee and tell them a heap of BS for their questions.
;)

I'm losing my touch,
Rogers Telecoms hung up on me, without saying goodbye, after only 30 minutes

Mwhahahahahhhahah

Mr Vee, I've had the situation where market research companies would not believe I was over 18.... they would repeatedly ask me if I was over 18 and sound most doubtful..... *shrug*
How odd.

Trendwest

I got a call a couple of weeks ago from Trendwest, the "Melboooooooorne" office and apparently it was sunny at 7:00pm? they told me I had won a "free" holiday.

"Totally free" I asked.

"Yes, absolutely" Mr ...

" Well I think you guys work late hours and work too hard, I want to give this free holiday to you!, you deserve it" I replied

"uhm, yes, but this holiday is for you, dont you want a free holiday?"

"I have enough holidays, you take this one!, it's free isnt it?, you have it."

" Uhm, but..but"

I didn't wait for the response it was taking too long.

Most of the telemarketers can take a "No" straight off the bat, it's the ones that get aggressive that I can't stand, used to argue with them, now I just hang up, eat dinner and play with the kids.

Was up late a couple of weeks a go and saw a doco on telemarketing training school in India. Focussed on 2 of the trainees who put in extra study hours outside of their training schedule. Showed them sharing a bike riding home and you couldn't help but focus on the horrible poverty in the background by way of the houses and filth etc. Although it didn't say it you got the impression that these trainees were trying to escape their lot in life by doing this training and getting these 'better' jobs.

Even after completing training a final interview determined who got the jobs and not all of them got them. Once in the job if you didn't meet your targets you were out - you were easily replaced. Many left after a few months of their own accord because of the pressure and abuse etc.

Had to laugh at some of the classes they went through. In one the teacher was teaching them Aussie slang words. Chook for chicken etc. and at one stage they didn't show the word on the blackboard but the teacher said "they say this word if something is really great". All the class did the thumbs up and were chanting Gross. Gross. It took me a minute to realise they were saying (or meant to be saying) Grouse! Mind you that word isn't said much nowadays either.

The Aussie icons/images class had them looking at a picture of a Koala. "Can anyone tell me what this is?" she asked. One answered, "Some type of squirrel?" Another said it looked like a teddy bear. "You're close", said the teacher, "it's a koala bear". (Cringe)

In yet another class an Indian guy who has been educated and worked in Australia was there for question time. "What about corruption?" one of the trainees asked. His answer - "Australians are honest, hard working people and not into shifty business. The shifty business is usually done by other cultures coming into Australia particularly the ***** and the ****" (named 2 nationalities).

When speaking to the owner of these training schools for call centres he said busines is booming and they are being approached by more and more businesses from all around the world so we can expect more of this annoying invasion of our privacy.

I've never been outright nasty to telemarkers or played games with them - just said, "Not interested, thanks", and hung up before they have the time to reply. Having seen this doco I feel quite sorry for the poor buggers who go through all this training in the hope of getting a 'decent' job. Only poor buggers from poor countries that is. I've got no time for Aussie telemarketers who know how we feel about telemarketing. They don't care about annoying the hell out of us just to make commission - so they deserve all you guys are giving them.

Olly

The phone rang as I was sitting down to my anticipated evening meal, and as I answered it I was greeted with, "Is this William Wagenhoss?"

This didn't sound anything like my name, so I asked, "Who is calling?"

The telemarketer said he was with The Rubberband-Powered Freezer Company or something like that, and then I asked him if he knew William personally and why he was calling this number. I then said off to the side, "Get really good pictures of the body and all the blood."

I then turned back to the phone and advised the caller that he had entered a murder scene and must stay on the line because we had already traced this call and he would be receiving a summons to appear in the local courthouse to testify in this murder case. I then questioned the caller at great length as to his name, address, phone number at home, at work, who he worked for, how he knew the dead guy and could he prove where he had been about one hour before he made this call. The telemarketer was getting very concerned and his answers were given in a shaky voice. I proceeded to tell him we had located his position at his work place and the police were entering the building to take him into custody. At that point, I heard the phone fall and the scurrying of his running away.

My wife asked me as I returned to our table, why I had tears streaming down my face and so help me, I couldn't tell her for about fifteen minutes. My meal was cold, but oh-so-very enjoyable.
This was done by a radio station in the US last year...
Luckily, I don't believe it is subject to copyright;)

I need compassion

personally - the second i realise they are a telemarketer i say "sorry, not interested" and hang up, despite their persistant babble on the way to the telephone cradle trying to convince me to stay on the line. interestingly enough the number of calls i receive has dropped dramatically.

Lizzie, I have always done what you do and it seems to work ok.
The trouble I have is with the overseas callers with thier broken English.
I resent that our Australian companies use them because they are cheap; and it denies our local labour a job. Therefore I have been very short with most foreign telemarketers, but no more. I have realised they are not to blame and are just trying to eke out a living.

The other day, my Mum got a call whilst she was very busy painting and she was irritated when it only turned out to be a telemarketer.
She almost yelled through the phone: Do you know Jesus is your Lord and Saviour?

There was a pause on the other end on the line, and then the guy just broke down. He poured out all his toubles of long hours working in Calcutta for very little pay. He could barely feed his family and his working conditions were very bad. He ended with a broken: What can I do?

My Mum, realising she had really hurt the guy with her short reply, suddenly became very passionate with him. She told him how Jesus loves all of us and wants all of us to prosper, even he and his family. After giving him a quickie rundown on Jesus and Christianity, she asked his name. He gave a 6 foot long foreign name which totally went over Mum's head. She asked if he had a shorter, more English name. He replied "Harry".

Mum told him she and her husband would pray to Jesus every morning to help Harry and his family. Harry finished the call very happy and sounded elated.

Mum never did find out what he was selling, but she has added Harry to her morning prayer list. :)

Back