Demolition co. damaged the fence

I used services of a demolition company and the common fence with one of the neighbors fell over after the demolition company. The posts / pillars were in the concrete driveway and the when the driveway being removed it uprooted the posts.

I called up Gavin, the owner, and he suggested that it is not his responsibility. :eek:. The fence was damaged the same day he demolished the house (5 days back) but the neighbours informed me today. They also damaged the telephone line :mad:

Am attaching some pics of the damage. I think he should pay for the damage or get it repaired. What are my options?

Attachments

• Fence damage 1 - Sept 18, 2011.jpg
    Fence damage 1 - Sept 18, 2011.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Fence damage 2 - Sept 18, 2011.jpg
    Fence damage 2 - Sept 18, 2011.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 146
That post looks that rotten its a wonder it was still standing.

Where was the phone line damaged? If it was right under the drive way and not to legal depth you can't really blame them.
If it was 400mm deep like it should be yes since they should locate services first.

No doubt the contract you signed waives all liability to the contractor. As others have said from the looks of those posts it was on it's way out, but now the fence will be your entire resposibility not 50/50 with the neighbour.

Back