Do You Allow Pets?

Do you allow pets?

• Yes, pets allowed

Votes: 84 67.2%
  • No pets, never ever

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Small pets OK (fish, budgie... no cats/dogs...)

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Sure, if they pay more rent/bond

Votes: 22 17.6%

• Total voters
We allow pets..and for one of the best reasons..the animals well being.

Someone has dumped a cat off at our apartment building. The supers have informed us it has been there for the last 4 nights (first of the month and people moving and leaving pets behind).Meowing all night....
No one in our building owns it, SPCA will not accept it, and it is very hungry.
Our tenants have started feeding it, and we are going to drive 230kms total to bring it to our home.

Should have our heads examined..we don't need another pet.
We will attempt to find a home for it....

I was told by my PM that to not allow animals would be limiting my options considerable when renting the house out in Petrie, so I did allow for outside dogs.. Seemed a good idea at the time being a two dog owner myself.

Three months on, the staffies have bred and now there is 8 puppies. I know they will not be able to keep them because of council rules etc but I hear they are keeping the puppies in the garage... As you do not give puppies away until they are around six weeks, I do worry about scratch marks on the inside of the door in the garage and what is happening to my garden.. 4/5/6 old staffies can be road wreaks in their own right.

It was not something I even considered..breeding dogs.

Maybe desexed dogs should have been more appropriately mentioned..

Just wanted to share :)

It's interesting that this post was started because of a notion that most LL's don't allow pets, yet here on a forum of LL's it appears that it is the exception not the rule.

I wonder if the whole idea of no pets is a fallacy. If only we could do a mythbusters experiment, perhaps we could blow up landmines in the backyard. :cool:

Listening to a large percentage of my friends (who are animal lovers and renters) complain about the difficulties, I would say that its not a fallacy.

Listening to a large percentage of my friends (who are animal lovers and renters) complain about the difficulties, I would say that its not a fallacy.

Perhaps there are too many single property investors who don't want their retirement nest egg damaged, or PM's who believe it is best not to have pets and don't even consult the owner.

Certainly this thread supports pets being allowed in rental properties.

Perhaps some clever PM on the forum can start an online property search called 'Pets Allowed' to match pet lovers with like minded leasors.

Regards

Andrew

This thread is giving me hope that I can find a rental when our property settles. I really don't want to put my small dog, who lives outside, in a kennel until we settle the new PPOR.

Its sad as arenter when you can be the best possible candidate for a property and be overlooked because you have a pet.

I know when i have a ip i will allow pets. I would probably have a limit, i dont want Olde McDonald and his entire bloody farm but a pet or 2 shouldnt be a problem.

Remember some of the best tenants are going to be pet owners. Imagine overlooking somoene simply because they have a pet and then ending up in VCAT trying to get your bond back from a below average tenant.

Look at the tenant, not their pet. A good tenant will repair any damage and be mindful of the impact their pet may have.

Something to ponder...

Landlords collectively have the power to influence the habits of a significant portion of the population.

If every single landlord in the country suddenly said "no pets", pet ownership in Australia would have to drop.

If every single landlord in the country suddenly said "To rent this house, you must own a goldfish", then goldfish ownership Australia-wide would go through the roof.

So in that sense (and on an extremely microscopic scale), I'm just doing my bit for (my ideal) Australia by disallowing pets.

Something to ponder...

Landlords collectively have the power to influence the habits of a significant portion of the population.

If every single landlord in the country suddenly said "no pets", pet ownership in Australia would have to drop.

If every single landlord in the country suddenly said "To rent this house, you must own a goldfish", then goldfish ownership Australia-wide would go through the roof.

So in that sense (and on an extremely microscopic scale), I'm just doing my bit for (my ideal) Australia by disallowing pets.

We will permit any dog except a pitbull.
We don't encourage pets, but we have seen what happens when a tenant is not permitted one. We have taken in 2 cats, and found homes for 2 others. Only one was from our tenants,others abandoned on our properties.
I wish having a pet neutured or spayed was cheap.If I won the lottery, I would offer this at a huge discount.

Yes, we have allowed pets but not renewing lease for latest liar - supposed to be blue healer but is in fact a pit bull with a minute amount of blue healer, we now have no lawn or plants either but also numerous other issues with tenant and property management (or should I say lack of)!

We do allow pets in our IP's. Our day job is gardening and we do many many lawns in tenanted properties, most people do the right thing and look after their dog well, but there are a lot who do not care and there is dog poo on they lawn area. We always leave a card advising of our next date...but still! I do not hold it against the dogs...there still get a little treat...but the tenant get's another not so nice note!

I settle on a property in a few weeks time where the tenant is allowed a single dog (listed on the lease), yet in the last 2 months since I inspected and exchanged, she has acquired:

- Multiple chickens (these may be against council regs)
- 2 cats
- Another dog

PM has ordered for the whole lot to go apart from the original dog. The property also needs to be scrubbed top to bottom as it smells. They will be inspecting again next week and will be letting me know the outcome.

The sad part is that the agency (I have known the PM for a couple of years) said that this has been a great tenant, up until December when she found a new boyfriend.

Fingers crossed and fun times ahead haha

If the place is dirty and smells, why didn't you ask for vacant possession?

All this happened in the 2 months since I exchanged.

It was a single dog and a good tenant just before Christmas and I was made aware of these issues this week as I was sorting out the property management side.

No biggie, things will be fixed up and the purchase price was 15-20% under what I perceive it to be worth :)

We have a vacant house at the moment which is proving difficult to Lease, which I find strange, given the nice location and presentation of the house...and the time of the year.

Anyway, bereft of enquiry, except for one which was a young couple with 4 kids. Had a look at their current address - no way Hose A.

We finally had a call yesterday from a single chap with 2 Labradors, both 10 years old. Yep - you'll do. At that age, they sleep 16 hours a day....far better than darling little kids running and scratching and screaming and swiping their way thru the joint.

Dogs = good.
Kids = bad.

Back