Do You Allow Pets?

Do you allow pets?

• Yes, pets allowed

Votes: 84 67.2%
  • No pets, never ever

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Small pets OK (fish, budgie... no cats/dogs...)

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Sure, if they pay more rent/bond

Votes: 22 17.6%

• Total voters
We have 3 Ip in the Newcastle area we allow pets in all 3 we have two dogs. Mate i would be devastated if i have get rid of our dogs so that a big yes and we have a pet clues:):)

Perhaps. It really depends - if they are small dogs then I'd be more amenable. Definitely not hyperactive or dangerous breeds like rottweilers and pitbulls.

As stated previously we were told the tenant had a blue heeler but it was a pit bull - dangerous dog breed. We have a Rottweiler and he is awesome and gentle, certainly not dangerous. We are now going to be very careful and demand photo's of tenants pets as it is going to cost us quite a bit to reinstate the lawns and gardens due to pit bull and feral bad tenant. His bond will not cover all the issues he has caused.

As stated previously we were told the tenant had a blue heeler but it was a pit bull - dangerous dog breed. We are now going to be very careful and demand photo's of tenants pets

If they lied about the breed, then they can also send you a fake photo.

We permit dogs, except pitbulls.
The tenants also sign that they agree the dogs must be removed from the premises, should they become a problem in our opinion.
We had a tenant who moved in around October with a dog. It was in our 11 unit building. This dog barked insessently when the owner wasn't home.A few other tenants complained. We asked them to be patient for a week or so, until the dog settled in, as it had never lived in a unit before.The dog still didn't quiet down. We suggested he leave a radio or TV on for the dog, so he couldn't hear every little noise in the hallway. Didn't work.
The owner was given the option of removing the dog from the lease, moving for him and dog,doggy daycare (yes we have them in Canada), or try a shock collar.
The dog now lives peacefully in the apt. Our other tenants are happy.

Perhaps. It really depends - if they are small dogs then I'd be more amenable. Definitely not hyperactive or dangerous breeds like rottweilers and pitbulls.

Great poll. We have always stated 'pets negotiable' with our Investment Properties. We soon realised that by putting 'no pets' we often found out later that the tenant DID have a pet/pets. By putting that pets were 'negotiable' we found that prospective tenants were open and honest about whether, if successful, they would have pets - then the decision was ours. But I alw they had pets or not. But I always laugh when I read 'small dog OK' on ads - small dogs (any pet on the 'small' side for that matter) are more likely to be an 'inside' pet and a highly-strung yapper who will aggravate the neighbours all day. Bigger dogs are more inclined to have less energy and are generally less destructive and, in most cases, require a smaller yard space than, say, a hyperactive Jack Russell Terrier- although I realise that there are exceptions! To each their own...

Depends on the property - we have a house where the current tenants had a small dog when we settled on the property. We have allowed the dog to stay ever since. When they move out we will change the carpets and some minor renovations to add more value.

100% allow pets - as long as a pet clause is signed, then there is absolutely no issue in my eyes.

I am a pet lover, and I feel so sad for tenants who get rejected.

One of the biggest agencies in Canberra systematically puts "NO GROUPS OR PETS ACCEPTED" on every single ad. It's a real shame.

The current properties I own are strata and so pets are not accepted, mainly due to the fact that getting OC approval for tenants pets is not worth the hassle. You always get that one old busybody on the committee who believe renters are the scum of the earth and who will object.... often the same person that has a little white fluffy yappy dog.

However with the aquisition of a house now underway, I would consider outdoor dogs at the house. It is getting new carpet after settlement and so indoor dogs are out, as are cats probably. Dont get me wrong, I have 2 cats myself who are little angels 99% of the time, but despite their training they sometimes go "hmm carpet, that will feel good under my claws" and when I catch them its all hell broken loose. If I was not putting in new carpet I would consider an indoor dog or cat.... who knows maybe I still will. I am a huge animal lover with 2 siberian huskies and 2 cats, all rescue pets.

The way I see it, most people own a pet because they give a damn about something besides themselves. And if they care about something besides themselves, they may be more inclined to look after my property and to ensure they can stay in the pets allowed rental as long as they can since they are so hard to find.

The way I see it, most people own a pet because they give a damn about something besides themselves. And if they care about something besides themselves, they may be more inclined to look after my property and to ensure they can stay in the pets allowed rental as long as they can since they are so hard to find.

And they will, usually, pay a premium on the market rent to a pet friendly landlord. That can provide a very nice yield boost.

Back