Do you allow pets?

I have found that pre-school children cause much more damage than a well looked after pet. One property had crayon drawings all over every wall, including some nice wallpaper. Another had nail polish drawings on the mirrored wardrobes & blobs throughout the carpet.

That would be my thought too. My PM seems to like recommending young families on the basis of them being stable and responsible. I guess the rent may come on time, but I worry about the damage that happens even in well adjusted households.

We only allow one type of pet for our IPs.

They must be one of those huge big snarly, frothing at the mouth type junkyard dogs with big heavy chains and a bad attitude.

They are absolutely fantastic for patrolling...well....junkyards.

Combine them with a big "go away" electric fence, and the chances of having trouble is pretty slim.

"Fit for purpose" I think the term is. :)

We allow pets by negotiation in our IP's (always ends up being a yes, but just like to know what kind of animals will be living there...).

As a pet owner, I do know how hard it is to find a rental that will allow pets, especially when the market is tight as Alexlee said.

Several months later the landlord had to visit the property to attend to some repairs. He was greeted by a huge rottweiler. Landlord confronted the tenant: "I said you could have goldfish, not a bl@@dy dog!" The tenant's reply was "My dog's name is Goldfish"!

Rottweilers get such a bad name!! I love my pet Rotty, she is so cute and adorable that I think she must have a recessive Labrador gene somewhere...:)
We have never had a problem with her at our rental.

We only allow one type of pet for our IPs.

They must be one of those huge big snarly, frothing at the mouth type junkyard dogs with big heavy chains and a bad attitude.

They are absolutely fantastic for patrolling...well....junkyards.

Combine them with a big "go away" electric fence, and the chances of having trouble is pretty slim.

The only problems arise when my partner walks past these big nurseries/truckyards and sees the snarling Rotty's. "Look Chris, they're sooooo cute, just like ours" *Sticks fingers through chainlink fence...*:eek: :eek:

Agree with Marg4000 - pets are a reality of Australian life, especially for single tenants with no other attachments. It will probably ensure longevity of good tenants which is what we are all after I suppose. But we would draw the line for large pets in small yards our IP's fit into this category). You can see several examples of bored pets from "Harry's Practice"!;)

Just my observations, so I could very well be wrong, but it seems to me that the majority of experienced landlords are fine with pets. The ones that have problems with pets tend to be the new/inexperienced landlords or those that only have the one IP, trying to protect their investment.

To not allow pets really narrows the choice of tenants. I am not a pet person at all but fully understand many good folk are and we always allow pets into our rentals and to date (touch wood) it has never even looked liked being an issue in any way shape or form.

Perhaps only the people who are passionate about pets have responded.

I've had a bad experience with cat urine in carpets. I'm reluctant to allow pets again. (Atucally, I didn't allow pets that time either).

I have an insane fear of dogs, which is one reason I'm nervous about dogs in an IP.

Also had a friend of my parents who had atrocious tenants (and probably an atrocious PM, if one at all) - and their dogs messed up the interior of her IP so badly they had to rip out all the carpets. And then disinfect. After that, the smell was still noticeable. It was their only IP, and they sold up ...

Still, I'm taking on board what you're saying, since one of my IPs has a doggie door already installed and backs onto a reserve.

DJ

Sorry to bring up an old thread... but...

Our Tenants have only been in our 2nd IP since 18th Jan.

When they asked if they could have pets I said "Cat OK" and that is in the lease.

Now I am told by my PM that they have gotten a dog because the Neighbours kids kept getting in the back yard!

What would you do in this situation? I was not consulted about any dog...
Just told they have one now... I'm far from happy.

Is it possible to ask for more rent as they have a dog now? They have broken the lease as far as I can see, so what can I do??

Any advice please!!

Now I am told by my PM that they have gotten a dog because the Neighbours kids kept getting in the back yard!

What the?! Getting a dog to maul the neighbour's kids sounds a bit over the top.

Basically I would be issuing them with a breach and giving them two weeks to remedy or out they go. Make sure they get the place professionally flea treated on the way out too, then bump up the rent for the next lot.

The gall of some tenants still amazes me, especially nowadays when they know how hard it might be to find another house to rent.

If you still want them there, you could renegotiate the lease at an extra $5-10pw for the dog? Otherwise consider terminating the lease if you don't want the dog there? Depends on how much damage you think the dog may cause...

I just spoke to my PM and she said that basically we can not put the rent up because of the dog! And that if we went to the tribunal they would want to know what damage the dog had done... Also that when they leave we can not make them pay for the pest spraying to be done!

What is the story here, is every single thing in the favour of the tenant.

How the H*ll can this be right...

The property is in Corio Victoria.

Why even have a bloo%y condition in the lease when they can do what ever they like!

Very upset and angry about all of this...

Here are some stats.

About 30% of the applications that come through to our office have pets.

Many of these are otherwise quality tenants and are willing to sign a lease with a pet clause. We've had applications from people with turtles to one with 2 ridgerian ridgeback (dogs!) and a goat!!!!

Most landlords are willing to accept pets if the house suits.

We've seen more damage caused by ex-boyfriends than pets! BY FAR!!! This is especially true in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide ;)

Damage caused by pets (especially dogs inside) is more prevalent with private landlords who have neglected routine inspections and have no pet clauses. We just have the mess to clean up once we take over!

Tenants sometimes think that cats are stealth pets!
Once a week we catch out tenant applicants who have not disclosed pets in their applications trying to sneak cats into the house. Having a cat is not a problem, dishonesty is! We refuse applications on that basis! And yes we have ways of finding out ;)
(we also catch out tenants who have used their "mates" as landlord or employer references on a weekly basis too)

There is no right or wrong answer on pets, but hope this helps and Yes I love animals and allow them in all of my own properties. :D

I just spoke to my PM and she said that basically we can not put the rent up because of the dog! And that if we went to the tribunal they would want to know what damage the dog had done... Also that when they leave we can not make them pay for the pest spraying to be done!

What is the story here, is every single thing in the favour of the tenant.

How the H*ll can this be right...

The property is in Corio Victoria.

Why even have a bloo%y condition in the lease when they can do what ever they like!

Very upset and angry about all of this...

Miss muffit! No you cannot put rent up legally because of a dog but you can increase rent at rent renewal periods ;)
Your pm needs to list all damage done by a pet for a tribunal case, it is a court and they want to see evidence and facts.
Does the lease condition include pest spraying? If so you can enforce it.
You can terminate the agreement based on a breach if you did not agree to the dog in the first place but why do they have a pet clause if you did not agree to having a pet?

This happens to me every time we let out a house. I used to get very annoyed but I’m used to it now. Here’s my new approach…

Assuming that house is suitable, DON’T advertise “no pets”. This may attract more prospective tenants and will allow you to charge slightly more. It also leaves the option of honestly open to the applicants. Consider each application on it’s merits (dogs, cats, kids, all of the other usual checks) and, if you’re letting the property to a tenant with pets, insist that they sign a “pet clause” – a commitment to keep the pet outside and repair any damage at their expense.

What happens when a new pet arrives without my expressed permission? Not much really. Can’t do much about it except put the rent up next time it’s up for review.

I would just ask the PM to tell the tenant that you are disappointed to not have been told about the pet when they made their application and request that they sign a pet clause. All this does is firm up your negotiating position next time there’s are rent review.

Good Luck - Ben

By the way: Aussie families have pets. They sometimes have children to. Of the two, pets cause less damage in the long run I reckon.

I've just rented a strata unit to a young lady with a small dog. The strata allows pets. Many have a No Pet policy.
The dog will live in the small, secure yard and shouldn't bother the neighbours.
She had been looking for a rental for over 2 months. Of those she liked and were suitable, most had No Pets policies either from the strata, owner or PM. My place is perfect for her. She loves it AND she can keep her dog there.
Form my point of view, I've now got myself a good quality, long term tenant.

I love animals... I have 2 cats and 2 dogs myself.

It's the dishonestly of the situation, and the fact that there appears to be NOTHING I can do about this.

I see in the lease that at section 29 and I quote:
"This agreement my be amended only by an agreement in writing signed my Landlord and Tenant"

If I wrote something along the lines of

"Tenant Having undertaken to get a dog and by doing so has breached the lease agreement, I wish to ammend the lease as follows. Rental increase to $195 as of May 2008 and that the tenant pays for pest treatment on Vacating premises"

Does this sound reasonable??

Back