Do you allow pets?

What is your policy on pets in your IP's? Do you allow them at all? Outdoor pets only?

After some serious thought I may end up renting while I'm buying IP's. Upon searching in my desired areas I notice that 80% of listings say no pets and a few say outdoor pets only. I've only seen one or two that say pets allowed.

Surely by not allowing pets you're ruling out a fairly large majority of the population. I'm talking houses here by the way, houses aimed at families. Families with a dog or a cat or a bird, or all of the above.

When I rent, I will take my cat with me. I also wanted to get a dog. The cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, fully litter trained and very clean. So what is it with landlords who say a strict no to cats indoors? I can understand no indoor dogs but again, some dogs are very well trained for the indoors too.

When I start renting out an IP I'm going to allow pets. I'd hate to think of how many people who would see the listing, see the "no pets" clause, then move on. Obviously you would say no to a slobbering dog inside but I cant see the problem with cats in the house, especially if the place has floorboards, or a little dog in the backyard.

That is one way to get more (potentially even longer staying) tenants.

The general perception is that pets makes the place dirtier.

In this current market, landlords have a lot more scope to set their own rules.

In a way, I don't allow pets for the same reason I wouldn't rent to a bunch of teenage guys: just in case.
Alex

Tiger

Your post on pets reminded me of the experience that an acquaintance (a self-managing IP-owner) had with pets at one of his IPs. The lease said "no pets" - tenants moved in and several months later requested that they be allowed to have goldfish. Landlord thought about it, wondered if he was being unreasonable, and eventually told the tenant he could have goldfish.

Several months later the landlord had to visit the property to attend to some repairs. He was greeted by a huge rottweiler. Landlord confronted the tenant: "I said you could have goldfish, not a bl@@dy dog!" The tenant's reply was "My dog's name is Goldfish"!

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
That's a good one Lynn :D

I've allowed pets so far in my IP's but I take it on a case by case basis. I don't generally have a problem with small dogs and cats etc. But I personally have a large male German Shepherd, and I'm not sure if I would want one of my tennants with a dog like that in one of my IP's.

I am also mindful if I ever wanted to rent that my dog would be a big disadvantage when trying to find a place.

I think if the tenant is prepared thoroughly clean up after the animals then its fine. As a pet owner I'd be so grateful for being allowed pets that I'd go to great lengths to ensure the property stayed as it was beforehand. Then again I've always had respect for other peoples property but I know not everyone is like that...

We allow pets but our houses have polished timber floors. Carpet would be another story altogether. I know that pushing furniture around scratches floors more than dog claws.

We still usually advertise "pets negotiable" so we can decide whether a really big or vicious dog is acceptable to us but allowing pets gives us an edge, considering how many ads refuse to allow them.

I do realise, however, that "oh, our dog is an OUTSIDE dog" is up there with "I did not have sex with that woman".

We self manage so we get the chance to discuss the pet issue directly with prospective tenants. We also have a little dog that lives inside (poodle - no smell, no shedding).

I have told this story before, but need to tell it again. A friend's parents own an IP next door to where they live. It is managed by an agent. There is a "no pets" rule.

Every six months or so, when there is a scheduled inspection, they watch as the tenants next door pack up the two dogs and take them somewhere for the day so the inspection can go ahead. I hope they tell the tenants one day just to see the look on their faces when they realise the owners knew all along.

Wylie

We usually go no pets now as we had a tenant abuse the rule originally by having 2 horses and a 3rd small horse (Great Dane) and then claimed that they were pets.

(Tenant and agent sacked)

We still prefer no pets, no kid's if we have a choice ,we would then prefer pets over kid's.

Dave

Last edited:
depends on the property certainly not in new homes but no need to get fussy over a house thats seen a couple of generations already. tenants with pets have such a hard time out there they will even agree to put their own rugs in rooms. humans will cause more damage than any pet!! knives and hot pans on kitchen bench tops are a shocker

I agree with not in new homes. We have just secured a tenant for this 70 year old place here in Christchurch. They have an old Terrier of some description that they flew out from England with them some years ago. This house has 7 bedrooms and used to house a large family with forster children - I think it would have seen more damage in those days than from a little old terrier! I hope anyway...

We had a tenant in another property in Sydney that were told no smoking indoors and no pets. Well before long there was smoke coming out the windows and 2 big rottweilers living there along with a little chihauha. And they certainly spent some time indoors! Not impressed but we learnt a lot from those tenants along the way. :mad:

So depending on the property, we would allow pets under conditions that we can't always be sure will be met anyway. :D

I allow pets in my IPs...generally the PM puts " outdoor pets with references" - I have never read a pet reference, but I am presuming it is written by previous PMs. I am also under no illusion that any "outdoor" pet actually remains outdoors. We have an "outdoor" dog who regularly sneaks in and finds a comfy bed to sleep under!

I know how much good pet ownership brings to a family and know how much I would hate not being able to have a pet, so I allow my tenants the same privelege - so far no probs...

Cheers, Nadia

We have an IP in suburban Melbourne with a large back yard. We always advertise "NO PETS". Tenants always ask us shortly after moving in if it's OK for them to get a dog or a cat. We always say no. They always get one anyway. We always find our sooner or later. At this point, the relationship is shattered and all trust is gone.

In future, we've decided to advertise the property as "PETS NEGOTIABLE" and try to get a higher rent as a result. This will probably lead to a better relationship with our tenants and our lenders because higher rent = higher serviceability. Banks don't yet consider pets in their lending criteria as far as I know.

Ben

Tenants ALWAYS have pets. And if they don't have them when they move in, they will shortly acquire one...or two...

We permit pets in our IPs. There is no point in not allowing them. The many creative reasons for animals being in rentals where they are prohibited are mind-boggling. Always being minded for someone else. On appointed inspection days the pets mysteriously disappear.

I think that pets are just one of the realities of IPs. We ask that they be kept outdoors but without any real hope that the tenants will comply.

We always have carpet cleaning and flea treatments on departure as a lease condition.
Marg

Depends... in one old place the tenants have 2 dogs and a (cute) kitten, they may **** where ever they want!

Another that is about to be recarpeted / linoed throughout and won't be having pets in a big hurry!

We usually go no pets now as we had a tenant abuse the rule originally by having 2 horses and a 3rd small horse (Great Dane) and then claimed that they were pets.

(Tenant and agent sacked)

We still prefer no pets, no kid's if we have a choice ,we would then prefer pets over kid's.

Dave

Same here. I allow pets in all my properties because they are outfitted for tenants ie polished floors or commercial type carpet. I do tend to have the lease specify outdoor dogs only even though I know most people will let it in the house - it merely allows me to keep their bond if the dog makes a mess.

The RSPCA has a horrible time having to deal with abandoned pets because tenants can't find accommodation that will allow them, so one reason I allow pets is so they don't have to be put down or rehomed. I have found that all my tenants have looked after their pets properly and not had any damage or mess from them, unlike children.

We rent our IP out at above market rates. The reason I believe we are successful in this is because we advertise ''pets ok (subject to approval)''.

All tenants so far have had a dog. No probs so far. We're dog lovers so we're happy for them.

Pets considered on a case by case basis. Not that many have pets and most have been polite and asked first (even during the tenancy) I even have a large dog in a bedsit but it has created no problems. Just sleeps in the corner.

I allow pets in all my IP's. I have a tenant who vacated in the last couple of months. They had 8 dogs (6 when they moved in), 2 cats & birds. They left the place in a great condition.

I have found that pre-school children cause much more damage than a well looked after pet. One property had crayon drawings all over every wall, including some nice wallpaper.:mad: Another had nail polish drawings on the mirrored wardrobes & blobs throughout the carpet.:mad:

If the property can accomodate the pets, we tend to allow it (tends to make for captive tenants). Claeaning, deodourising and sanitizing clause in the lease are added.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back