Dreadlocks. Yes or no ...

Dreads?

• Yes, they are awesome

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • No, you will look like a pale and elderly Rastafarian.

Votes: 41 71.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally I think dreadlock looks unclean & unhygienic. I could never take anyone seriously with dreadlocks.

If you buy clippers, it's quick & easy to do and your hair will never look dirty.

Asides from being general dreadlock advice - the last warning is enough to turn me off them for life.

http://www.dreadheadhq.com/dreadlocks-warnings

You look really nice with short curly hair, Simon - not so keen on this long manky look

Last edited:
I've been doing my own haircuts for the last twenty years with the same WAHL clipper set for half an inch. It's neat, there's no combing, no having to go get a haircut, quick wash and dry and it's done. Great for swimming / exercise etc. Works for me!

By the way, that reminds me - it's probably time I got the blades sharpened... :rolleyes:

While I don't cut my own hair, I've never been to a barber. It's either been done by mum, or now by my wife. Cut short all over, and once it looks like it might need combing, it's time to get it cut again.

See ya's.

While I don't cut my own hair, I've never been to a barber. It's either been done by mum, or now by my wife. Cut short all over, and once it looks like it might need combing, it's time to get it cut again.
So that's why you're called topcropper? All this time, I thought it was something to do with farming.

See ya's.
Sounds like the 4 dollar haircut ,,one dollar each side and 3 bucks if you are bald on top..

a little tip .....

if you do go for the dreadlocks don't get a job sanding back the inside of a swimming pool....you will end up looking like papa smurf:D

that paint dust doesn't wash out

hubby did this when we were young and travelling oz

Dreadlocks were cool back in the '80's with 10CC's song...Dreadlock holiday.

Nowadays...nup - unless you're 21.

Simon; you're too old for them anyway.

The only chicks you'll be getting out on yer boat will be the seagulls.

NOTE: dreadlocks always look good on women for some reason ;)

The cool look for you will be the 5 day growth with the no.2 buzzcut - a la Justin Timberlake-esque.

PLEEEESE don't go for the Ned Kelly length beard all the AFL/NRL players are sporting these days either. What the hell are they thinking?

Ned Kelly beards and tatt sleeves.... Jesus H.

I've been cutting my own hair for about 20 years at least.....and it shows :D

Reddit have a sub reddit for dreadlocks if anyone's interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dreadlocks

You must admit the after pics (with glasses) look much tidier..

j40PV.jpg

iUMc8.jpg

Life is too short to worry about what a bunch of uptight property types think :p

Whatever makes you happy. Seriously. Enjoy life.

Sounds like he is - apart from the prison bit perhaps.

Hehe, yeah indeed.

I'm stuck with short hair, glasses and a beard as the most rebellious I can get. Damn office jobs and having to look respectable.

I'd love to be travelling around, with or without dreadies, chilling out and enjoying things.

Cut the hair off and donate it, they make wigs for cancer treatment people, karma+1

long hair on a boat
can see it caught in a line carrying ME up the mast, , limited skillset there :(
dont dry fast enough, thats everyone

Personally I think dreadlock looks unclean & unhygienic .

He lives on a boat. He proabably is unclean and unhygienic.
Possibly the only reason he didn't die in a Cuban prison, he can handle the bugs.
:D:p

I love not shaving and not cutting my hair for as long as it takes me to get annoyed with it. I don't know why. I guess it's an old hang up from work and ex girlfriends who insisted on it.

If you dont have to, and it's not uncomfortable, why not. As for the looks, other than the people on board who will care?

Just take photos for us so we can critique :p

Needs photo of current situation before can give advice on moving forward.

But im voting for dreadlocks so far. Otherwise just clipper cut the lot, minimises the maintenance alot.

l had dreads for 3 years. Really , it was sorta like one continuous sacrifice. You couldn't wash your hair , swimming especially salt water was, well there's no words . Puts a lot of stress on the roots too - hair roots ;) , then again when you start sweating with the other kind there's nothing you can do either.
They day it went , it went to a number one. Tell ya , that was like going to heaven. The showers, washing , swimming , living , it was magnificent !
Never went back.

I'd be wondering if it might make customs and immigration a bit more difficult, if you looked like you a pale and elderly Rastafarian when you sailed into a new country.

After all, it's evident from Simon's avatar that he looks like a bat already, and a bat with locks would be somewhat of a standout.

Back