Dreadlocks. Yes or no ...

Dreads?

• Yes, they are awesome

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • No, you will look like a pale and elderly Rastafarian.

Votes: 41 71.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Go for it Simon, why not experience dreadlocks.

Are you still at Newport Beach, Balboa Island area by any chance? I will be back there next week, (have been fortunate to have had opportunity to be sailing around that area). Will be in San Francisco this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6U-TGahwvs

Not for a while. Yacht is in El Salvador right now and I will be heading off from Newxastle in a couple of weeks to join her then sailing south.

l had dreads for 3 years. Really , it was sorta like one continuous sacrifice. You couldn't wash your hair , swimming especially salt water was, well there's no words . Puts a lot of stress on the roots too - hair roots ;) , then again when you start sweating with the other kind there's nothing you can do either.
They day it went , it went to a number one. Tell ya , that was like going to heaven. The showers, washing , swimming , living , it was magnificent !
Never went back.

This is probably the best post yet - from someone who has been there - done that

I have very short hair, was very curly when longer, and so hard to tame.

A few years ago I thought I'd grow it out a bit and in some photos I think it looks great, but the day to day reality is that when I exercise my head sweats so much that I was washing it every day (still wash it most days, especially in summer). It took forever to dry and apart from looking okay in photos, most of the time I looked like a wild woman (or a mad woman :eek:).

If your curly hair is annoying you now, cut it off. Trying to grow and maintain dreads will make your current hair issues pale into insignificance. I read a couple of those posts about maintaining dreads and it just made me feel a little nauseous. Dirty, smelly, bugs... and the maintenance surprised me. I just thought people didn't have to do anything except try to keep downwind of their own (hair) stench :D.

When Michael Bolton got sick of his long hair, what did he do?

Do it!!

What have you got to lose? Looks like you're still sailing around the world, so it's not like you have to dress for the office - so why not.

If you hate it - find it too hard to manage or just don't like the way it looks, you can always chop it off.

What's that saying about at the end of your life you will look back and regret the things you didn't do, not the things you did.

Do it!! (but we want photos)

:)

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but dreads (as opposed to just a big rats nest) are actually a bit of work to maintain. Not such an easy way out.

Yes, I had a girlfriend many years ago who was rebelling against most things and had dreads because she didn't want to conform to the 'whole beauty thing, man'.
Boy, she spent a lot of time on her hair. More time than her friends who were conforming to the whole beauty thing.

Yes, I had a girlfriend many years ago who was rebelling against most things and had dreads because she didn't want to conform to the 'whole beauty thing, man'.
Boy, she spent a lot of time on her hair. More time than her friends who were conforming to the whole beauty thing.

Lol getting dreadlocks isn't rebelling. It's being a sheep and following all the others who get them done while holidaying in Bali, Thailand and the Caribbean etc. If she really wanted to rebel then she should've got the clippers onto her long hair like that female Irish singer, I forget her name. A truly beautiful girl can get away with a shaved head but dreadlocks are a dime a dozen just like tatts. My mate got some dreads on Kao Sahn Rd in Bangkok on his last holiday and had to wait in line. I think they cost $10.

dreadlocks-khao-san.jpg

Lol getting dreadlocks isn't rebelling. It's being a sheep and following all the others who get them done while holidaying in Bali, Thailand and the Caribbean etc.

You'll note I said 'many years ago'. Back when tattoos were also seen as rebellious. Now neither are. It's probably more rebellious now to not have tatts.

Business at the front and party at the back. Covers all bases.

Cheers

Jamie
I like that quote,,i'm starting to see more and more over 55 Men that are doing the same,you can be over 55 with the 21 year old mindset..plus the red hair I once had is coming back on the back part white grey on top red at the mullet end,,freedom..

You'll note I said 'many years ago'. Back when tattoos were also seen as rebellious. Now neither are. It's probably more rebellious now to not have tatts.
It's ironic.

Reminds me of this:

"YES; WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS".....

"I'm not"

Last edited:
Theres no right or wrong answer. In case anybody is having trouble with this one it's a personal choice question.

I have long hair, have for most of my life. I am into hard rock music, I'm a Musician and it's just how I am. I've considered cutting it off but the people I know from all walks of life tell me they'd laugh if I did. One friend went as far as saying "Man, I'd disown you if you ever cut that off" hehe, and he said it deadly serious. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to cut it all off and look like a regular joe, but that just aint me

Go the dreds man!

On another note. I hardly ever wash my hair . Anyone else? By the way it's nearly shoulder length and clean and shiny.

I'm loving the dreads :D

So next month I will be the wind blown Aussie dive instructor and sailing boat skipper in Central America.

Feeling the love already:cool:

Back