eerie! feeling in the air??

Is it just me , or is there an eirie {spell?} feeling in the air at the moment, i do listen to my instincts, and gut feeling alot now , and in the past i have learned to start trusting them, BHP, unemployment rising etc, i hate the D&G stuff, and i thought the end of the last year was going to follow through to this year, i did'nt think it was getting worse and it would be just more of the same , but my gut feellings tells me to be vigilant, does any one else feel it too?

i had some sort of weird feeling last night - that there'll be riots in Sydney and Perth on Australia Day.

but no, nothing about the economy sorry.

thats good to here or not, so i will book myself into the shrink tomorrow, thanks he might have a pill for this sort of thing or two, lol

Unemployment, lack of confidence does feed on itself. Less employed = less consumerism = less product required = more unemployment etc. Of course in turn this effects new housing starts. I would be very surprsided if 2009 was not a lot tougher than 2008 for the general population.

Of course even with supposedly secure employment you find yourself being just that bit more cautious just in case.

I pay no attention at all to the media frenzied dialogues, except to say that I won't be running screaming into the hills anytime soon, but will be vigilant as always.

Just make sure your own "house" (financial position) is in order at all times.

Whether times are good or bad.

Its because things are getting worse as predicted. 09 will be tougher than 08 in all areas, no doubt. Especially property prices. If you bought property in 08, you'll be able to buy next door much cheaper in 09.

In my opinion we are at the beginning of a doozy of a recession and the government cant keep stimulating the economy, going into budget deficit.

And without artificial stimulation (which doesnt seem to work well any way as has been seen already in the UK and other countries) we will be in for some fun times. I'm actually looking forward to it.

And you cant balme the media, not unles syou also hold them responsible for the good times as well. :rolleyes:

Is it just me , or is there an eirie {spell?} feeling in the air at the moment, i do listen to my instincts, and gut feeling alot now , and in the past i have learned to start trusting them, BHP, unemployment rising etc, i hate the D&G stuff, and i thought the end of the last year was going to follow through to this year, i did'nt think it was getting worse and it would be just more of the same , but my gut feellings tells me to be vigilant, does any one else feel it too?

Not Me,once you go through what Australia is about to experience a few times in your inversting life then it's no big deal,all statistics are just like a dark void filled with rumour and conjecture no one knowS what will happen over the next 6 months,just depends on how you have your money spread out,and what area's you invest in,imho don't have all your eggs in the one pot ,but i think the real bargins are about one year off,after all the ASX
can drop 10-20% over a 3-10 period and everyone thinks the sKy is falling
jump in front of trains-windows ect,but property takes time to settle then go into free fall as it will because the rise in unemployment is the key and that'S just about to hit overdrive as all miners are just about to implode..
imho..wilair..Stay Happy..

but property takes time to settle then go into free fall as it will because the rise in unemployment is the key and that'S just about to hit overdrive as all miners are just about to implode..
imho..wilair..Stay Happy..

This is a primary concern for me, unemployment - which is terrible for the economy. How bad will the mining fallout affect the rest of the country? I know we have piggie backed it for the last decade, but could it fall apart just as easy?

Ahhhhhh!

Things will get worse in 2009 than 2008. I'm no Doom and Gloomer by a longshot but I can sense that there is more bad out there before a recovery begins.

All these job losses are only just being announced and are being followed by further job cut announcements... they will be fact in coming months and people will be trying to survive with their job losses etc.

But it will turn around with the stimulus packages and huge amounts of monies the Govts. are throwing to avoid a meltdown into a Global Depression. Every effort is being made to avoid a repeat of the Great depression.

It may take more months than we would like, but it will start recovering....s l o w l y.

Timeline.......my guess here is actual recovery begins towards the end of the year.

Think there's still more bad news to come. But the longer it stays down, the greater the opportunity for cashed up investors to buy up more before growth kicks in again.

Never hurts to know that a storm is brewing. They can hit hard and suddenly and if you are ill prepared....

:eek: my ommission.....I hasten to add, ensure life vests are in situ.

I expect the best (because I look for the positive in every situation) and so with my glass half full and with the benefit of tincture of time serving as my teacher (lived thru the late 80's and early 90's and survived), this too shall pass.

I am not pollyana, however neither am I purely reactive. My life vests are very conservative LVR's and cash buffers as a hedge. GoAnna is correct, being proactive (knowing the storm warning) and trimming one's sail (being responsable) should enhance the element of LUCK.

Rixter calls it Labour Under Correct Knowledge. Luck is also when preparedness meets opportunity and there will be plenty of the latter in the ensuing year or two.

Let the games begin....................:D

I have been feeling there is something dark just out of reach but coming closer. Scares the hell out of me but I definitely feel something bad is coming

Hi Craig, good to hear from you,

Well I don't know about eerie but I have been trying to damn well log into Somersoft for 40 mins! Anyone else on Bigpond having the same prob? My formats are all skewed and weird and I don't know if I can reply and be patient for another 40 mins. Better have another beer!

I have been concerned about this myself and was trying to get here tonight to post a similar question...you know what they say about great minds...

Bill Zheng has sent his update with the following words:

While majority of the commentators are still using normal business or property cycles to explain the current situation because they may not have the vision and experience to see far enough, legends such as Soros and Buffet are already talking about Eras.

Not many people in the world have the expertise and financial capacity to bet against the judgment of Buffet and Soros, plus the odds to beat these guys are so low that doesn’t even warrant the risk. Hence my preference is to join them and get myself prepared. If you still believe the current crisis as part of a temporary low of a normal cycle, you may be in for some big surprises.

I have also noticed that people like Warren Buffet and George Soros don’t come out to talk about bad news without talking about solutions at the same time; you can easily see that they are always anticipating opportunities even during their casual kinds of interview.

Whereas you often read a lot of negative news with no mention to solutions from the media, they simply put more fear into people’s head so that they become inactive and addicted to more bad news.

Some people do not like to hear negative or bad news because they want to stay positive, they choose to avoid them at all cost, because they don’t like to be called a ‘negative’ person or don’t want to be affected by them.

I personally do not agree with that approach entirely. Not looking at the bad news or harsh reality doesn’t make them go away, and confronting them doesn’t make you a ‘negative’ person.

You may be perceived as ‘negative’ if you talk about problems and bad news all day long without a solution or doing something about it.

In my view, a person who can confront a negative situation and come up with positive solution, is more positive than a person who is avoiding the reality all together.

If you ask me, there are proactive (or solution oriented) people, there are no such thing as ‘positive’ people. If someone insists on calling themselves a ‘positive’ person, I would remind them that a ‘positive’ person is usually very negative about people who are not, in their view, ‘positive’J!

I am in the process of changing my optimistic view to that of one more cautious and what some may even consider pessimistic.
While I don't have the experience of cycles, I do have the experience of being in a situation I absolutely don't want to be in again.

I'm feeling it too!

Regards JO

PS: if I have any spelling mistakes etc it may take me an hour to correct them! Agh!!!!!

i have allways been so positive and worked my way out of every dark corner and i have had a few of them in my life, but na! different this time, i get those visions of the bloke with his swag in a suit off to the bush to sheer sheep photo taken in 1939 recession.
this has nothing to do with my personal position but a general perspective,

i had to edit , g,day josko hope your doing ok ! good to see your post.

Last edited:
Back