Employees and Facebook

also have to be very careful about what is posted on facebook because there are ways and means of accessing your page "without" being a friend.

apparently in nz it is quite common for potential employers to do so, to see what type of person you really are. if you post about getting stoned every second night and binge drinking i don't think your chances are as good at getting the job as someone who posts about the latest movie and the art exhibition they went to on the weekend! imo.

OK, quick update.

Said employee stated that the comment had been posted the day before from phone, but due to lack of credit, was not put onto Facebook until the next day.

And has asked for a week off due to other problems.

Which has been backed up by consultations with his supervisors and fellow employees. There's more at stake than meets the eye.

At least everyone got plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions! :D

Lizzie- there are privacy issues about employers checking out future employees on the Internet.

If an employer hypothetically checked then that employer would have to have other reasons for hiring or not.

An employee who friends you is another issue.

There was a time when I googled my store and found a trusted employee's Myspace entry "I hate my job and I hate my boss". I treated them a little more carefully from then on.

As a young bloke stuff like this gets annoying. Firstly, age was never mentioned by the OP, could be someone in their forties or older.

Yeah they could be in their 40's but I bet they aren't. Generalisations and stereotypes exist for a reason - because they are mostly right. I'm sure gen Y have plenty of generalisations about older people too.

Generalisations and stereotypes exist for a reason - because they are mostly right.

I agree.

Geoff and his Subway have been around a while, and most of us SS regulars are justified in assuming the employee was young, because of previous posts.

I assumed it was a girl, because IMO girls are more likely to say 'partner' rather than 'boyfriend'. Most guys I know would just say 'girlfriend'.

-Ian

I agree.

Geoff and his Subway have been around a while, and most of us SS regulars are justified in assuming the employee was young, because of previous posts.

I assumed it was a girl, because IMO girls are more likely to say 'partner' rather than 'boyfriend'. Most guys I know would just say 'girlfriend'.

-Ian

Yeah, probably fair enough. I work in internet marketing and I only meet people doing it who are at least twice my age, so I've sort of stopped thinking of the net as young person's place alone.

I grant that the generalisation is probably fair, I also noted that generalisations exist for a reason in my previous post.

What gets annoying is the reputation my generation has. Maybe it's from worrying about pigeon holing or maybe because it's generally true.

So fair enough, point taken, but I can equally assure you that you won't catch me taking jabs at older generations on here from now on. My points in the previous post were more to demonstrate that it's often pointless to claim one generation is more this or that than any other when it comes to character - especially not the claim that: "We were never like this/that".

I can guarantee that 2000 years ago older people were claiming the younger generations had no respect, were riding their chariots too quickly or were too noisy, etc... And the younger generations were blowing them off dismissively saying "You're past it, things have changed, our generation won't make the same mistakes you did" only to faithfully follow in their footsteps or near to them.

At the end of the day, not much changes - only the medium through which it propogates, the appearance or expression that the sentiments take. In the 60s the battleground was music, today it's facebook. So I personally avoid parroting prejudices across generations, if only because I like to at least feel original.

Fortunately the employer did the right thing in this situation by realising that whilst generalisations exist for a reason, it's often worth going beneath the surface before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:
Ianvestor. Right on one count, wrong on the other.

I deliberately tried to conceal any revealing details.

But I have had good and bad experiences from a big range of age groups and from a smaller variety of genders :)

I've been very disappointed with somebody who ran their own business for a number o years.

And been very impressed with some young Gen Y's.

So I can only ever treat on a case by case basis.

Fortunately the employer did the right thing in this situation by realising that whilst generalisations exist for a reason, it's often worth going beneath the surface before jumping to conclusions.

Totally agree with you re generalisations and assumptions. While Gen Y has a certain reputation portrayed by demographers and other experts who like to label people there are lots of gen Ys who are nothing like what is portrayed, same as gen x and babyboomers and blondes with big boobs :)D). I am certainly guilty as charged of making assumptions, and should have worded my OP to read "How can some people be so stupid". I based my assumption on the fact that younger people will post a lot more private information about themselves on FB while older people won't - I certainly wouldn't be posting on FB about getting smashed on the weekend etc. And I certainly don't think that all young people are stupid so apologies if that's what it sounded like :eek:
I will definately make a concentrated effort not to jump to conclusions based on assumptions and generalsiations from now on :)

Back