Euthanasia?

You can always find examples of where euthanasia may have been better for the patient but once you start going down this road using legislative instruments it will become messy. I am sure you can find an equal amount of stories where people had some terrible disease but managed to fight back and recover.

Don't forget that the person who is dead can't exactly answer whether they wanted to die or not after the fact - and I think this is the main reason why it won't be legislated. Not to mention that it legalises murder not in the State but with private citizens - and that is something I cannot accept for one.

Thank you for your clear information about this matter, xactly.

In 1997 I completed a big tertiary report on the NT euthanasia law and discovered that there was much misunderstanding behind the public and media perceptions (surprise, surprise) of what it was about. The conclusion I drew was that best practice palliative care makes it unnecessary to legislate traditional euthanasia.

For what it's worth, at the time there were four distinct types of euthanasia, so when one campaigns to "legalise euthanasia" it would be a good idea for the person to know exactly what they are talking about.

I had a mate last year who lost his partner to lung cancer.

She was allergic to morphine and the hospital let her choke in her own blood without pain relief.

Now last week,he lost his mother who had parkinsons,epilepsy and dementia.

4 days she hadn't drunk or eaten and couldn't be woken up one morning after a series of strokes.

She was still alive and it was just a waiting game for the family :(

They gave her morphine until she passed,4 days later.

I'm all for euthanasia,let people go with a bit of dignity and not suffer when they are

close to deaths door.

Cheers Spades.

Back