Racism in Australia

Because taking off the helmet doesn't violate your belief system, perhaps?

Because wearing the burqa is not about "convenience".

Having said that, I wouldn't care if you left your helmet on. "Seeing somebody's face" is not a right.

My friends and I thought about starting a new religion and wearing a helmet can be a part of it, if we want to.

I have no idea whether there is any law that dictates whether or not helmets are to be removed when entering a shop or a bank. I remove mine out of respect for those inside who might be frightened that I am a potential robber. All Motorcyclists in Qld are potential criminals anyway, thanks LNP.

I don't care what other women wear, it makes no difference to me regarding religion, fashion, heat and comfort etc. However if I follow certain social norms FOR THIS COUNTRY regarding the safety of those around me, then I ask others to do the same. Has it occurred to those who support the wearing of large face coverings and huge dresses in public areas (call them whatever) that it is not the religion many of us are concerned about but the threat to public safety. Forget metal detectors at Parliament house, how many guns or bombs can be hidden underneath those huge tent-dresses and innocently carried around your local school or shopping mall.

My friends and I thought about starting a new religion and wearing a helmet can be a part of it, if we want to.

I have no idea whether there is any law that dictates whether or not helmets are to be removed when entering a shop or a bank. I remove mine out of respect for those inside who might be frightened that I am a potential robber. All Motorcyclists in Qld are potential criminals anyway, thanks LNP.

I don't care what other women wear, it makes no difference to me regarding religion, fashion, heat and comfort etc. However if I follow certain social norms FOR THIS COUNTRY regarding the safety of those around me, then I ask others to do the same. Has it occurred to those who support the wearing of large face coverings and huge dresses in public areas (call them whatever) that it is not the religion many of us are concerned about but the threat to public safety. Forget metal detectors at Parliament house, how many guns or bombs can be hidden underneath those huge tent-dresses and innocently carried around your local school or shopping mall.
a bomb could be hidden under a nuns outfit too, i dont suppose youre suggesting we ban them too

As I said: Niqab or burqa, they are both symbols of oppression and subjugation. No-one champions the rights of African women to have female circumcision performed on them. Noone champions the rights of sexually abused children who want to stay with the sexual abuser/perpetrator.

Does it not strike people as odd that all the things we hold dear such as freedom of religion, freedom of speech and equality for women are absent from the Muslim world but one cannot point that out without angering Muslims
and, it seems, half the people on SS?

wow

just wow. congrats, you win the internet today.

Reactions: oc1

As many as a regular coat/trenchcoat/good ol' ozzie driza-bone?

a bomb could be hidden under a nuns outfit too, i dont suppose youre suggesting we ban them too

When was the last time you saw anyone wearing a full on nun's habit in Australia? Well, except at a B'n'S ball.

Saw a few in Europe last month, along with the Monsignor in his red and black dress. Nearly choked on my pork schnitzel! What a blast from the past. Saw hundreds of burquas and hajibs too.

I went into my centrelink office today and I thought I would take a couple of photos to back up my post where I said that 90% of the people lining up for Centrelink help or who work at these important Government jobs are immigrants or look like they are. This is a quiet day ;) )

You are a classy lady to be posting pics of strangers online. How'd you like it if someone photographed you at the dole office or the beach and posted your images online without your permission?

In any case, before you get all self-righteous, might I remind you that you are on the dole too....just like those who you despise.

And in another post, might I remind you again that you were trying to get a 50% subsidy from the government for your own land acquisition. Wow, a dole bludger seeking to buy property - now that's what I call a rort. You are shameless. Sigh, i guess we cannot deport you.

Has it occurred to those who support the wearing of large face coverings and huge dresses in public areas (call them whatever) that it is not the religion many of us are concerned about but the threat to public safety. Forget metal detectors at Parliament house, how many guns or bombs can be hidden underneath those huge tent-dresses and innocently carried around your local school or shopping mall.

Don't forget mumus!

King-Size_Homer_%28Promo_Picture%29_2.jpg

When was the last time you saw anyone wearing a full on nun's habit in Australia? Well, except at a B'n'S ball.

Saw a few in Europe last month, along with the Monsignor in his red and black dress. Nearly choked on my pork schnitzel! What a blast from the past. Saw hundreds of burquas and hajibs too.

nice way of avoiding answering the question

nice way of avoiding answering the question

Sanj, I don't see you sticking your neck out and laying your opinion on the table for everyone to critique. In fact, all I mostly see from you are jabs at other people's posts. Do you have a philosophical stand on anything? At least some of us have the courage of our convictions.

Yes, she appears to be indoors, possibly in her home. These forms of dress aren't worn 24/7, they're (mostly) only worn when out in public.

Do you think that, given the choice, these women would choose not to wear their Islamic dress?

I'd assume that a muslim woman would wear the Islamic dress as that is what her husband would expect. If she disobeyed him, I'd imagine she'd cop something unpleasant from him or some other male?

See ya's.

The majority of Muslims are not blood-crazed zealots who want to decapitate anyone who speaks badly of their religion. But does that mean that nobody has the right to say anything negative about any Muslim, even the ones that do want to chop off all our heads?

Here in Australia, where we are free to talk about 'the rights of women', we are nonetheless considered as racist and hateful if we point that in non-secular Islamic countries women are treated little better than cattle.

I went into my centrelink office today and I thought I would take a couple of photos to back up my post where I said that 90% of the people lining up for Centrelink help or who work at these important Government jobs are immigrants or look like they are. This is a quiet day ;)

enjoy working for them ;)

I have to disagree with this to some level. I used to roll-out systems for Centrelink offices across Sydney and the people who came in matched the local demographic. It wasn't like I saw all Asians in Caringbah for example.

I will agree that the Centrelink staff across Sydney had a high number of first gen immigrants working, regardless of the location. There are reasons for that, with good intentions behind it.

Your views blow me away considering you have immigrant roots.

The majority of Muslims are not blood-crazed zealots who want to decapitate anyone who speaks badly of their religion. But does that mean that nobody has the right to say anything negative about any Muslim, even the ones that do want to chop off all our heads?

Here in Australia, where we are free to talk about 'the rights of women', we are nonetheless considered as racist and hateful if we point that in non-secular Islamic countries women are treated little better than cattle.

Many are following this thread and many may be agreement with you, while continuing to be silent. Those who disagree with you may already have come out from the sideline to air their opinions. I basically agree with you. :)

I'd assume that a muslim woman would wear the Islamic dress as that is what her husband would expect. If she disobeyed him, I'd imagine she'd cop something unpleasant from him or some other male?
Thanks, TC, that sheds some light. If this were the case, I'd be more inclined to be supportive of a ban, too.

Having studied Arabic and thus met many Muslims - both through Arabic classes and through travelling in the Middle East - I think this is a common conception, but largely a misconception.

Certainly there are some extremist Islamic regimes - most notably Saudi Arabia and Iran - where the state imposes a particular form of Islamic dress, but this represents a small percentage of all Muslims. (And the rest of the Islamic world thinks these countries are totally crazy, too, by the way. And certainly many Iranians think their own regime is crazy.)

By and large, the Muslim women I've met wear their chosen form of dress because they want to honour God, and are offended by the idea that they'd do it for a mere human (even for a human who is their husband).

Many Muslim feminists find it offensive when westerners call for a ban on Islamic dress, based on this misconception. They think it's rude for outsiders to assume that they're all oppressed and downtrodden, when most of them don't think that they are, and have chosen to wear Islamic dress for their own reasons. They think it's quite condescending for westerners to say: "you're not exercising your free choice correctly; we know what's best for you".

Just another perspective to ponder.

As I said: Niqab or burqa, they are both symbols of oppression and subjugation.
No-one champions the rights of African women to have female circumcision performed on them. Noone champions the rights of sexually abused children who want to stay with the sexual abuser/perpetrator.

This is nonsense.
These clothing items and their cultural significance date back thousands of years- its been evolved as part of their religion and culture, and certainly not symbols of oppression and subjugation. Of course, there are exceptions and in some cases women are forced to wear it, and I agree in that in that regard it isn't right....but that's a minority.

Does it not strike people as odd that all the things we hold dear such as freedom of religion, freedom of speech and equality for women are absent from the Muslim world but one cannot point that out without angering Muslims
and, it seems, half the people on SS?

Very simplistic to hold views such as this. Not true to a large degree, but do agree it appears to be true to a small degree in certain areas only like afghanistan.
Muslim women actually do have rights, but in respect to their culture [ again which dates back thousands of years], they choose to not go against it to a large degree.

Back