Expensive problem for strata building

I have an IP in a 1960s era brick building, comprising 18 one, two and three bedroom units. Mine is a one bedder on the top floor (4 storeys in all).

I just received a letter from the strata manager to say that - due to bad practice by the original builders - there is a build-up of mortar in the cavity brickwork, causing moisture to penetrate horizontally through the walls in some of the lower level units. This has resulted in mould and damp on the inside of the affected walls.

Also, the mortar has dropped onto some of the brick ties, causing corrosion, and this has led to some cracking because the failing ties are now allowing some movement of the bricks.

There has been a report by an engineer, suggesting the two longest walls of the building (it's a long rectangle), need to be rebuilt, and suggesting the body corporate call for quotes. We have the AGM in 2 weeks; most of the building is tenanted, with just 2 or 3 owner-occupiers.

It is obvious this will be really expensive to fix, very disruptive (there will be scaffolding blocking access to the parking), very noisy, dust-generating, etc.

I have just spent $5000 on improvements and have new tenants paying $400 a week till January 2014. I imagine most tenants would have issues with living on a building site, making it hard to find tenants at current market rent. I expect to have to offer my own tenants a reduction to offset the inconvenience and I will struggle to find money for a special levy in any case, since I am retired.

I am seriously thinking that the entire property may be worth more as a development site, because of its age and condition and under-capitalisation, and I am wondering how to check out the feasibility of that so as to propose it at the AGM as another option.

Any thoughts how to proceed? The next AGM is just to vote whether to get quotes, but I'd like to get some other ideas on the table too. Would really appreciate any input or alternative courses of action.

Start with a town planner to find out what could currently be built on the site.

The biggest difficulty you will have is that under current laws, you would need all 18 owners to agree to sell to a developer. That can get messy, especially as some may hold the others to ransom unless they get an unreasonably high price.

Unless there is a dire shortage of land available, it going to be cheaper for a developer to buy 2-3 old houses and bulldoze them to build rather than buy out 18 units each with a price premium, demolish and rebuild.

Talk about trying to squash a flee with a sledge hammer.

The likely problem is that there has been brick growth over the the time which is resulting in some cracking around and about corners such as the corner of the building and also corner of balconies.

The main reason that this occurs is due to the fact that back in the 60's 70's and 80's even they didn't include vertical expansion joints in the brick work on the side of the building.

We have the same sort of issues (not the damp issue though) in one of our buildings that is of a similar configuration and also does not have any expansion joints anywhere on the building.

We removed and relayed the cracked bricks and the corners and will be cutting in a expension joint or 2 and also installing helical ties on either side of the the new expansion joints.

Taking out the cracked and broken bricks.

http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3940&title=p1010009&cat=500

http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3942&title=p1010012&cat=500

Relaying the bricks

http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4006&title=fixing-cracks&cat=500

http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4007&title=fixing-cracks&cat=500

http://somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4008&title=brickwork-fixing-crack&cat=500

We also fixed a whole bunch of concrete cancer on this building. You can see some more pic's in my gallery.

Also replaced the old bricks balustrade with black steel railings.

I would think that you could rectify the mortar in cavity problem by providing more drain holes at the bottom of the walls and sealing the brickwork with a clear water repellant such as

http://www.membranes.com.au/products/miscellaneous/wpm-163-penetrative-sealer/

or

http://www.drytreat.com.au/Surfaces/Brick

plus lots of other products.

Maybe have a talk to these guys as they have a very practical approach..

http://www.rbms.net.au/RBMSBMR.htm

Cheers

Thanks for all your replies. I had already done some initial calculations that the average value of each unit was about $500,000, meaning it would cost $9 million to offer each owner fair value, making it a very expensive block of land. And in fact there are two houses adjacent occupying the same land area, with a value of maybe $1.5m each, so clearly any developer would do better buying the two houses, not the unit block.

So it seems remediation is the only option (or ignoring the problem, as past owners have for more than 40 years).

Thanks Andy for the links to the sealants; I can see how they could work in various configurations (eg treat external wall, or treat internal wall, or inject something into the cavity that soaks into the thick layer of fallen mortar, acting like a damp-proof course, only horizontally).

I will put up those suggestions at the AGM and see how that goes.

Also wanted to add, I called RBMS (Remedial Builders) and found them to be very knowledgeable, and very generous with advice and suggestions. Unfortunately, they do not work in the Sydney area, being Central Coast-based, but if my discussion with them today is any guide they seem like a very good mob to do business with.

Also wanted to add, I called RBMS (Remedial Builders) and found them to be very knowledgeable, and very generous with advice and suggestions. Unfortunately, they do not work in the Sydney area, being Central Coast-based, but if my discussion with them today is any guide they seem like a very good mob to do business with.

Try these guys, they did work on some spalling repairs at my former PPOR block and were pretty good.

http://www.remedial.com.au/structural-repairs/building-solutions

Hello,

I have just joined the forum. We have just discovered a similar problem at our building and also had a structural engineer suggest we re-build our brick facade to the tune of $400k! I emailed the report to another structural engineer who suggested using this product - http://www.helifix.com.au/pdf/repair/RT01.pdf

This is a way of installing the brick ties without having to re-build the brickwork. I rang up Helifix to ask them about it. They estimated for about a 320 square metre building, it would require 1000 brick ties ($5 per tie/ 3 ties per square metre). Plus you need to add labour which is the killer. Perhaps an option worth investigating when you get quotes? Edited to add: Helefix have an onsite service where they will meet your structural engineer and/or builder and explain how to use the system.

Here is a company I've found by just searching on the internet that uses this system - http://www.quikpoint.com.au/brickrepairs.html

In addition, we will have to render and paint the building as well after the repair work is done but I think that will help protect the building. We have one quote which was around the $70k mark. Hopefully we will be able to save up for this over a few years.

I'm not sure what state you are in but the NSW Government is doing a Review of Strata and Community Scheme Laws - http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/A...view_of_strata_and_community_scheme_laws.html

Here is an article that may interest you about owners stuck with apartments in ageing buildings that are too expensive to maintain properly, and developers keen to profit from the regeneration of older suburbs - http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/law-may-force-flat-owners-to-sell-up-20120914-25xpf.html

I'm certainly no expert but I hope all this helps. I will monitor this thread closely. If you can post updates, that would be great! I will also post about any additional information I receive. Our AGM is one week. This is the first one I will attend so it will be interesting considering the owners have been very neglectful of the building. Silly me, I did not do a building inspection but the ones I have done only inspected the individual apartment, not the block. There was nothing mentioned in the strata report as the owners had not looked after the building. Always get a building inspection for peace of mind!

Last edited:
Hi NSW

Just wondering what the engineer said about the state of the brick ties in place?

What prompted the BC to get the Engineers report?

I have a number of buildings which are in the same age category and even with cement on the ties they don't deteriorate that badly that they all fail.

Has anybody actually run a camera into the cavity space?

Cheers

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry I don't mean to hijack Nibbles55's post.

There is a crack in the brick facade of the building and that's when we decided to get a structural engineer to inspect the building to find out the cause of the crack rather do a cosmetic fix. But we also have a power line attached to those bricks. While the second engineer doesn't believe this is the cause of the problem, I think that it doesn't help that it is pulling on a weakened structure.

This is from the report:

"The condition of the brickwork indicates that there is a considerable presence of salt in the perimeter facade. In combination with the poor condition of the external brickwork it is almost certain that the brick ties are corroded and therefore inadequate. The only way to solve both the presence of salt and the corroded ties is to progressively remove the external skin, replace all the ties and reinstate with new brickwork."

I can see now the area he is talking about but this is only a 1/4 side of the building where the bricks have bowed but the other brickwork is not in as bad as condition. The bricks are fretting and in some instances have deteriorated altogether and will need to be replaced. We've also had a building company come out (before the structural engineer) and they have said that the existing lintels need to be replaced. In addition, we need to install new HeliBfix crack stitching ties.

As far as I'm aware there was no camera run into the cavity space but I wasn't present when the engineer was at our building. I'm not going to pay $400k on a 'maybe'. I want to see if the original engineer will come back and actually inspect the cavities (not sure how difficult this is - perhaps you can clarify or some Googling is in order) and also get another report done. I need to try and convince the other owners to get a second opinion. I have emailed the report to the other engineer who thinks it is ridiculous. He has only seen the building from pictures. He says the only accurate part of the report would be that the ties might be corroded but recommended the Helifix product.

The age of the building is in dispute. It was advertised as Art Deco but it is not from the art deco era although it is an old building. The real estate agent told me it was a 1920s building and developed into apartments in the 80s. The other owners think the building is around 40 years old but this is may be just the date they were made into apartments. I'm going to try and find out exactly when the property was built. My strata report says the strata plan was registered in 1983 but the building would be older.

The worst of it seems to be on my end of the building. We do not have any problems with the internal walls of the building.

Last edited:
Post a photo of the building exterior, they arent that hard to date. Windows also assist eg timber sash, steel, aluminium etc.

Hello Andy,

I've sent the pictures of the building and the crack. I will take some more pictures of the property tomorrow.

Cheers

Take a pic showing the crack down to the ground or the relationship to the ground.

From just having a quick look at the pics and guessing the the crack is located near the electrical cable it's the parapet that's cracking and I would be thinking that the best solution is to demolish that part of the parapet and rebuild, at most $10k (just don't get them to look at the view).

My comment is based on the crack not going right down to the ground.

The rest of the building has heaps of step ins which provide lots of support to the walls (as against a straight wall).

I could believe that your lintels may need replacing particularly with the salt air. But again not an overly expensive job.

Cheers

Looking at the building I would say its a 1940's with a fake art deco'like facade. The external plumbing puts it as pre mid 50's by which time they were using internal risers.

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your fast reply! The view is what got us in this problem in the first place :D We've had one quote for $20k to fix the crack. This includes moving the power line which was $7,000 alone. Energy Australia has come out to inspect the building but they don't believe that the power lines are too tight. However, they have loosened them. I believe we could take this cost out of the quote.

The crack ends pretty much at where the picture ends. According to the structural engineer (who hasn't seen the actual building yet, only photos), if the brick ties are coroded, this will be the most expensive part of the job. Repairing/replacing the fretted bricks will cost $6,000. Actually scaffolding is a huge part of the cost. We also have concrete cancer in our external stairwell. We have been quoted $5,000 for that. Thankfully at this point, we don't have balconies.

Thank you again everyone for your replies. I have been having sleepness nights about this.

Looking at the building I would say its a 1940's with a fake art deco'like facade. The external plumbing puts it as pre mid 50's by which time they were using internal risers.

Thank you Dave. That's very helpful. It's such a shame they painted the brickwork but I understand why they did it now ie to hide the imperfections.

Back