Fabric of a Dream: Fletcher Jones Story

Caught the Fletcher Jones Story on SBS last night, a documentary about the man who built, established and ran his clothing design/retail/manufacturing company...(Warrnambool in Vic).

Although I lived in Port Fairy and Warrnambool for some years I never realised the full extent of the story behind the man and the business. An amazing and inspirational person. David Fletcher Jones.

http://www.warrnamboolcam.com/fjstory.htm

"Born in 1895 in Bendigo, David Fletcher Jones left school just before his thirteenth birthday and started work in an auction rooms before moving on to grow tomatoes on a small plot of land on the outskirts of Bendigo .

He joined the Australian army in 1915 and served in Egypt and then on to the Western front in France. A shell burst just meter's away left him with severe injuries and he was invalided home with a C3 (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated) classification, and never expected to work again. He refused to accept the pension and started to look for work. His doctor suggested that a sales job might be good for him and it may also help with his severe stammer, and he eventually found work selling soap door to door.

After some success he then decided to set up his own business selling drapery and manchester door to door and purchased a small horse drawn hawkers van and set off around the Western district of Victoria. This proved to be even more successful and despite his severe stutter, his honesty and integrity shone through and he quickly built the business to a point where he had several trucks and a staff of six.

To boost sales he began renting temporary premises and held one and two days sales in towns around the countryside and in 1924 he rented the Oddfellows hall in Warrnambool and held a sale that proved to be so successful he was persuaded to settle in Warrnambool and lease three shops in the main street."

....and

"During the next decade, despite the financial hardships of the depression years the business continued to prosper, and It was at this stage FJ began to question the distribution of wealth between the rich and the poor and he looked for a way to address the imbalance.

His reading and research eventually led him to the writings of Dr Toyohiro Kagawa ( who had often been described as Japan's Ghandi ) and his work with setting up cooperative projects in Japan.

In 1935 Kagawa visited Melbourne and after numerous letters, FJ managed to convince Kagawa to visit Warrnambool and speak at the local town hall and then in 1936 FJ visited Japan to study Kagawa's social innovations first hand, and he returned convinced to set up a similar structure in Warrnambool."

"He also wanted to create a pleasurable working environment for everyone who worked in the factory - something that had never been attempted before.

He then approached Neil Symons, a local solicitor to help in setting up the business structure for this new company, and Neil promptly told FJ that "he didn't need a business advisor, he needed a psychiatrist" , but FJ's dream was so infectious than not only did Neil Symons set up the new business but he left his job and went to work for FJ, eventually becoming Managing Director and continued in that capacity until his retirement some twenty five years later.

When the new company, "Fletcher Jones and Staff. was finally put in place ( 1951) the staff owned 51% of the shares and Fletcher Jones had become a minority shareholder in the company he had created and by the mid 1970's staff ownership had grown to over 75%.

Not only did the staff benefit financially from the FJ's vision, they were also taking part in a workplace revolution as employees were given more control over their jobs and sections within the factory were run on a team cooperative basis while outside the factory site the rubbish tip was being transformed into landscaped gardens."

Might be? a video clip playable here on this link:

http://www.abc.net.au/abccontentsales/s1876610.htm

Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher_Jones

Documentary was first shown 2007, then repeated last night, but well worth a watch if you can get your hands on it.

OO

Watched some of the programme, interesting Australian history. I can remember a cousin saying and buying Fletcher Jones as 'quality merchandise'.

Today, most people have too many clothes hanging in their wardrobe OR IMHO the younger generation lying on their bedroom floor in 2 piles (clean and dirty).

Australia's clothing manufacturers' are struggling against overseas products and we have so many products that don't last and are of poor quality.

I've always worn FJ pants. They are the only manufacturer that does waist sizing in half inches. Good quality, too.
The only time I've had a problem with them was when I was down to my fighting weight a couple of years ago and my waist measurement was 28 inches (what's that in cm?). I told the guy the pants I was trying on were a bit loose, so could I try a half inch smaller. Apparently they don't come in a smaller size.
A couple McDonalds flake cones a day for the next week sorted that out:)

The show was very interesting. Not just to show the successes but also to show the subsequent decline in light of competition from clothing manufactured overseas.

I watched and enjoyed the show.
I was a visitor to the FJ gardens as a child.
The gardens were a bit like going to a theme park in those days.
To be honest l didnt know the factory had closed and had had problems.
I was very interested to learn Fj,s Business ethics. Quite remarkable.
I had the pleasure of working for a Man with the same ethics some years ago.
He promised his management team 10% of the gross profits from the business each and every year.
This team worked 200% for the business.
All other staff were generously rewarded by other means.
We were a happy bunch.
We worked and played together and to this day l still catch up with all the troops there for a day out.
The business has strived for 38 years and has provided mega millions for the owners.
Its a great model for others in business or just starting out to follow.
cheers
yadreamin

I never saw the show . Been away at the beach ...

I actually own two resi props just a block from the old factory site . A lot of the housing nearby is your standard 1960's cream brick veneers , built well for factory workers of the time .

Warrnambool is a great little town IMHO . Growing at a good rate and with prospects as good as any in regional Vic .

OO , I see Origin have now started on the new powerstation up at Mortlake . What do you think of prospects for Mortlake ?

Mortlake..

I caught the final go ahead news on Mortlake's power station.

Origin’s Mortlake Power Station set to energise Victoria

Monday, Mar 16, 2009

Victorian Premier John Brumby turned the first sod in a ground breaking ceremony today to mark the start of construction of the 550 megawatt (MW), gas-fired Mortlake Power Station, located in south western Victoria.

Origin’s Executive General Manager, Energy Markets Mr Frank Calabria said, “The new $640 million power station, on its completion, will add significant capacity to Victoria’s energy resource.”

“Mortlake is a great example of Origin’s strategy of being a fuel integrated generator and retailer. This strategy allows us to better satisfy more of our peak retail demand from our own generation, particularly at this time when the market for peak demand is tightening,” Mr Calabria said.

The Premier of Victoria, John Brumby and Energy and Resources Minister Peter Batchelor joined Origin to turn the first sod on construction of the new power station today.

Mr Calabria added “This multi-million dollar construction project will play a significant role in assisting the Victorian Government’s objective of maintaining a secure, efficient and affordable supply of electricity while reducing the intensity of greenhouse gas emissions from the energy sector. We regard the project’s social and economic benefits as being of State significance.

“It also contributes to the diversity of generation and gas supply, providing a better-balanced and more secure energy system. All of these benefits are further enhanced by the fact that Mortlake will utilise a local energy resource through its sourcing of Otway Basin gas,” Mr Calabria said.

Commenting on the project, Origin’s Executive General Manager, Major Development Projects, Mr Andrew Stock said that Mortlake Power Station would prove a good strategic fit for Victoria’s energy needs.

“Many factors about our modern lifestyle, including the growing demand for household air conditioning – especially during hot summers, have driven a requirement for additional peaking generation capacity,” Mr Stock said.

"Mortlake will have the capacity to supply the equivalent of peak power to 250,000 homes, which will provide a substantial boost.
"

http://www.yourindustrynews.com/origin’s+mortlake+power+station+set+to+energise+victoria_26667.html

Got the (relative) latest median house prices from Vic Valuer-General too, has got even stronger:

Mortlake:)

The change from 1994-2005 was 182% 94: $40,000......05: $112,870

The figures for 97-08: change of 250%

97: $37,000............07:$129,500 tentative 08: $170,000

06-07 change: minus 14%

Growth P/A: 13.3%

Beautiful country there, great farming land, terrific people, close proximity to the coast, the 'Bool. Great lifestyle and investing wise double the decade's change that Wimmera is offering/showing, how does it feel living in paradise? You guys are just getting greedy now..:p:D

Warrnambool growth stats:

94-05 change: 145%

97-08 change: 169% Growth P/A 10.4%

Port Fairy

94-05 change: 205%

2006-2007 change: 12%

97-08 change: 149% Growth P/A: 9.6%

Hamilton

change 94-05: 160%

97-08 change: 199% Growth P/A:11.6%

Camperdown

94-05 change: 141%

97-08 change: 204% GPA: 11.8%

Portland

94-05 change: 111%....97-08 change: 163% GPA: 10.1%

I love investing in *regional vic! South western victoria is a gold mine of treasures. Especially so.

* Not that there is anything wrong with investing in (Melb) + metro centres...each to their own.:)

I can't get over the development between The 'Bool and Port Fairy, Killarney area, remember that used to be little dairy farms, sand dunes, paddocks!! we used to go eeling there...gosh it is so beautiful..before I cark it I will have a home at/around there, my cousin and his partner designed and built their home with views across to the ocean, it's so beautiful...walk out onto top deck and you feel like your on the bow of a ship spotting for whales.

Yes I agree . There's been a heap of development the last few years along there . We stayed at the Killarney caravan park for a few days at the beach in early Jan . Seems to get a fair amount of wind as does all that general area though ..

As for Mortlake , I think it will do quite well with all the infrastructure projects going on around there . Since the first part of the Geelong bypass was done there has also been a lot more traffic going that way too . Talk to the roadhouse there!

I like Port Fairy even just for the antique shops . Could spend half the day just browsing no worrys at all....

Back