fat burning diet

I'm starting a diet tomorrow. Not so much to loose weight but for a cleansing and de-toxin. I'll weigh myself and post results and effects through the next 7 Days.

Good luck with your diet.

What are you actually expecting to achieve by weighing yourself over the next 7 days?
Isn't that a little too short to see meaningful results?

Re, Fat Burning Diet, any calorie deficit will reduce fat on your body.

The smell of food s driving me crazy....tonight...friend comes over and my wife and her cook roast spuds....my favourite.....trying to not eat that is enough to make you mental.

The smell of food s driving me crazy....tonight...friend comes over and my wife and her cook roast spuds....my favourite.....trying to not eat that is enough to make you mental.

Next time people are cooking/eating, maybe go for a walk? Don't needlessly torture yourself with smells.

Diets never work long term. Read up on the "starvation response". Typically what happens is that low kj diets slow your metabolic rate and your body looks at ways of conserving energy. Muscle is a tissue that requires more kj to run, so removing it is the way the body can conserve energy. Its easy for the body to use muscle as energy...see Gluconeogenesis.
Keep your muscle at all costs, you must use a resistance based training and aerobic. A very low calorie diet will cause you to lost 40% of your weight from muscle loss.

Dieting typically makes you fatter. Search for "skinny fat" people.
Thats why BMI is rubbish, consider this imaginery dieter...
Before diet 90kg
18% body fat
16kg fat
74kf lean body mass

Dieter then reduces calorie on some banal weight loss program and first week "loses" 3kg first week and 1k PW for the next 5
After diet 81kg
14.% body fat
11kg fat
69kg LBM
Weigh loss 9kg made up of
Fat loss 4.kg
LBM loss 5kg

Now diet is over, starts eating as before. As you have been starving your body it "tricks" you into binge eating bytriggering severe cravings and hunger.

6 weeks after diet ends, back to 90kg
20.5%body fat
18kg Fat
LBM 72KG
Now back to where you started but an even worse position as you've gained fat composition. Next time it will be even harder to lose weight as you've done away with your big fat fighting tool...muscle

So are you saying the only way to lose weight is to maintain current calorie intake levels and exercise more to burn it off?

Only one way to lose weight (other than surgery or medications)..... burn more calories than you consume. Simple.

The trick is to consume "good" calories in place of crap calories. Ie. nutrient rich.

Sure, there are certain proteins & enzymes that inhibit fat accumulation however, if you regularly burn more calories than you consume then this shouldn't be an issue for most people. Very few people have a legitimate metabolic medical condition that precludes such a phenomenon.... ;)

Paradoxically, the best approach is to actually eat more, eat more often and let exercise burn the fat. Its not about starving yourself but actually eating "clean" foods, ie as close to natural as possible.

ignore BMI,
go by what you weigh and how you look in the mirror
reduce calories, do more exercise,
replace bad calories with good calories

thats more then enough for the average overweight joe to get results,

you can start extreme, but if you arent focussed/dedicated it will backfire and you'll give up with in a few days

you can go into the nitty gritty of insulin cycles, supplements etc. but it wont do squat for the average person in the earlier stages of dieting

Best way to lose weight is eat less sugar/carbs and eat more protein foods more regularly....at least 6 times a day. Eating protein type foods increases your resting metabolism and by eating less sugars/carbs your store of fat cells are burnt faster due to not having to burn the sugars/carbs first. Carbs/Sugars get burnt before fat cells. So the less of those you put in your mouth the faster your metabolism can get to work converting fat to energy.

is it fat first then muscle, or muscle first then fat?

perhaps this type of thing should be the type of thing people should concentrate on learning before diving head first into trendy attention catching advertisements for extreme diets and claim they understand them:confused:

Not if you do heavy weights, exercise and eat only at a slight calorie defecit. I didn't lose any muscle. I've maintained my muscle mass because I have done it very slowly over a 2 year period.

This is true.
What you have done is the key to sucess.
That is, very slow recomposition over a long period of time, well done.
It is possible to lose fat and gain muscle "simultaneously" when diet and training are right.
Another good point you make is "slight" calorie deficit.
These crazy diets 1000+ calories below maintenence are ridiculous for long term change.

Back