Finding reliable Tradies

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would share a recent experience of mine. We had some plumbing problems (basically a blocked drain) and needed a plumber.

I didn't really know the best place to look for a tradie - but remembered hearing trade service/central (something like that) on the radio where you would tell them what you needed and at least 2 tradies would call you with a quote.

Well one of them basically did - but he came along and had a look and wasn't able to help as he was a drain repairer and didn't have the snake to put down the plumbing drain.

Big waste of time.

So at a bit of a loss - I had a so called brain wave - why don't I call a local real estate PM and ask them for the name and number of the plumber they use. They gave me a name and contact number - I called the guy and an hour later he was here, had the toilet off and the 'snake' down the drain to unblock the drain. Two and a half hours after my initial call - the problem was solved and everything back to normal. A great experience.

This was for my PPOR and I have no properties with the PM I called.

And this was in between Christmas/New Years.

I guess it would be a fair assumption that PM's use these guys over and over again because they are reliable.

So next time your at a loss for finding a good tradie - I would recommend calling a local PM in the area and ask for a referral.

Cheers

good advice - my pm is always my first call when i'm looking for a tradie. i have also phoned other pm's if my property is not in my normal pm's area and i'm just looking for something like a lawnmowing guy.

they are a great source - only problem can be is that the tradies are so busy doing ip work they don't have much spare time. i find the hardest to get is a good general "handyman" because they are so in demand from the pm's.

For our furtherest IP's, we use PM's contacts, they have been prompt and efficient. Very happy with what goes on and how it is handled 250 k's away.

The other IP's are only 150 k's....we still have a PM, wouldn't hesitate to use her contacts, but also have a friend who is a handyman in the area, and knows everything about everybody and anything :) ...so he is also a great contact for us, and a good friend...except he wants to shoot my cat.

Our gardening guy I met on the streets, I was looking at some properties and I kept running into him, he was doing meticulous work mowing and lawn edging, plus he is a real sweetie...someone you just have to talk to...and we've been together ever since...the kind of blokes that are happy to share information and knowledge of their local area, and what they know about stuff in general...and they make great coffee.

Our local IP we manage, know all the local tradies, terrific blokes, good at their work and helpful and don't mind questions, great to talk to, never had a problem with prices or costings, prompt service...and yes, we do realise how fortunate we are... (great network).

Plus my brother is a handyman (carpenter by trade)...we always catch up with them and talk about property and repairs and renovations and paint....my partner is from a long line of practical and handymen, he loves to "help" and be with any of the tradies if they need to be called in...fixing stuff is in his blood.

We love our network of tradies and handymen...you don't expect to make friends with them but they are just great people....and so funny. Have you noticed how in every plumber/electrician/handyman/gardener etc there is a comedian dying to get out. :)

Kenny..

Which reminds me, for those that might be interested..."Kenny" the Oz movie, we found it fantastic and funny and cleverly done...I don't normally choose to watch many movies more than once, but there is just something about this guy and humor and story that really appeals to me...the plumber that deals with portable toilets...well worth watching IMHO.:)

I have to add here:

A friend told of me a fantastic Documentary which made you feel good when you came out about how an ordinary guy made good and went to the US

Yep it was Kenny!!!!

I had to explain to her that it was a Mockumentary and she still does not believe me!!! :D

Chris

I have to add here:

A friend told of me a fantastic Documentary which made you feel good when you came out about how an ordinary guy made good and went to the US

Yep it was Kenny!!!!

I had to explain to her that it was a Mockumentary and she still does not believe me!!! :D

Chris

I loved the movie, and the sincerity of 'Kenny' (which of course is not his real name.) Spashdown is a real comany and it does provide corporate loo's so I figure the guy must really be a proper plumber. The website is also hilarious http://www.kennythemovie.com/

Back