Flat pack

What has been people's success with using flat pack kitchens etc.?
Do you find them good enough, or is it really worth the extra $$ getting in a cabinet maker?

It seems to me when creating a kitchen, the layout, colourings and styling are what can make a kitchen look good. So if you get those right, why not do it as cheap as possible?

And one thing that occurred to me whilst looking at various flat pack websites is that no one (besides ikea of course) seem to make flat pack bathroom vanities.

I was thinking of having a wall hung bathroom double vanity unit.. wonder if it's either completey stupid or genius to use some flat pack kitchen wall cabinets/shelves, and modify them to add a benchtop ... couple of above counter basins and good to go..designer vanity on the cheap?

Hi Dan, I'm doing a flatpack kitchen and also a vanity at the moment.
The vanity is to fit into a 880mm alcove so parts needed are....
- 1 x 800mm wide (600d) base cabinet.
- 2 x Doors to suit
- 2 x filler panel about 40mm wide, one for each side.
- 1 x Kick panel if needed along bottom.
- 1 x piece of benchtop about 880 wide, because short lengths of benchtops like this are almost considered offcuts, have a look in some bargain bins first before ordering.
- 1 x handbasin and,

Bingo, one really nice looking custom built vanity unit, at probably half the cost of a nice ready made one.

Flat packs are simple and easy to use. In my opinion they are every bit as good as those offered by pro kitchen installers. The main draw back is the fact that you are restricted by the standard pack dimensions. If they are to fit between 2 walls they may not fit without some modification.

Measure carefully and you will save thousands....but not only that, you do not have to wait for the "kitchen professionals" to fit you in!

units4me said:
Hi Dan, I'm doing a flatpack kitchen and also a vanity at the moment.
The vanity is to fit into a 880mm alcove so parts needed are....
- 1 x 800mm wide (600d) base cabinet.
- 2 x Doors to suit
- 2 x filler panel about 40mm wide, one for each side.
- 1 x Kick panel if needed along bottom.
- 1 x piece of benchtop about 880 wide, because short lengths of benchtops like this are almost considered offcuts, have a look in some bargain bins first before ordering.
- 1 x handbasin and,

Bingo, one really nice looking custom built vanity unit, at probably half the cost of a nice ready made one.

Sounds good! Which begs the question why don't they make actual flat pack vanity units to start with?!

Are the filler panels readily available in a lot of dimensions, or did you just buy the end panel (ie for an island bench) and cut from that?
I'm thinking if I will be wall hanging, then I may have to reinforce the backing, or use some sort of angle iron or support underneath if I use a kitchen wall cupboard..
I was even thinking of being a cheapskate and setting up some formwork for a polished concrete benchtop.. except the weight would probably be huge..

Probably because vanities are very cheap and straight forward anyhow.

For $200 plus it is not worth IMO to flat pack and then instal.

Personally pedestals are better with shelve storage over. Less space and better access.

Peter 147

Sorry, I should have clarified what filler panels are. They are just some panels that match the cupboard doors/end panels.
I usually buy a bit of extra kick panel (the bit along the bottom) and cut it out of that. End panels are usually too expensive to butcher for a filler piece.
And I also think that flat packs are every bit as good as a pro kitchen if done right.
Think it through, plan it out and enjoy installing it because it's actually fun. And huge satisfaction etc at the finished result.

Yep, flat packs are great. But you are limited by standard configurations.
I've almost finished a kitchen in my PPOR. It was designed by an architect, so nothing was standard. The joiner's quote was $24,000 for the cupboards and benchtops. Yep, he was a pretty high end joiner.
I opted instead to make up my own cutting list, get a local board factory to cut and edge the bits, and then I put them together and installed them.
The cost will end up being around $8,000. And I reckon the quality is about 80% of a joiners, but probably better than the average kitchen company.
The most expensive bit was the 3 metre by 1 metre by 80mm thick lime green bench - trust me, it looks great. The only company that had the right green was Abet, and they're expensive.
Of course with 2 little kids running around it took me a bit longer than a joiner to do the job.
When making something for a bathroom, make sure you use moisture resistant board. And if you cut any edges, seal them propertly.
Scott

Back