Following on from the bucks night/wedding string.

I think I can imagine how that wedding day will pan out.

It reminds me of a wedding I worked at when I was at uni. I was a dechhand/bartender on a cruise boat on Sydney Harbour. We did loads of weddings, and corporate functions and the like.

One afternoon we did a wedding and when I saw the list of requested booze, I thought it might not end well. It was mostly beer and bourbon - way more than I could imagine 70 people drinking.

They were a pretty rough bunch and I could sense a bit of tension - possibly due to the bride being fairly pregnant.

Half an hour into the 4 hour cruise, all the blokes had their ties off and shirt sleeves rolled up (loads of tatts) and the bourbon was getting a pretty good nudge.

An hour in and the first scuffle happened. They broke it up and it looked like the two familes retreated to separate camps - one family on the upper deck, and one on the lower deck.

Then it was lunch and usually there would be speeches. Except nobody wanted to say anything. It was so odd that I thought I should say something. So I had a go and got them laughing and I said some nice things about the bride - I had heard a hundred wedding speeches by then. I tried to get somebody else to say something, but nobody was keen. Then I got the 'happy' couple up to cut the cake. I handed them the knife and a woman yelled out: 'I know what I would do with that knife.'

Things got pretty shabby after lunch. I let the water police know we might be needing a hand, but there were no more scuffles.

We dropped off all the guests on the south side of the harbour. They were all pretty keen to get off the boat and as we pulled away I could see a few of the blokes shaping up to eachother.

Then we headed over to Hunters Hill wharf to drop the bride and groom where their car was. I was cleaning up the bar and heard them having an argument about the cake. Most of the guests weren't interested in taking any so there was lots left. The top tier of the cake was untouched. The groom stormed over, grabbed the cake, tossed it all into the harbour and then went outside on the front deck to smoke.

The pregnant bride burst into tears and sat on the floor. I got her onto a seat and tried to get her together before we pulled up at the wharf.

Before I had tied the boat up, the groom leapt onto the wharf, bolted up the hill, got in the car and drove off.

We had another cruise to do, so I had to get the bride onto the wharf. I had to carry her and sit her on the wharf and then prise her hands off my arm.

To this day, I have the picture burned in my brain of this pretty, pregnant bride sobbing on the wharf and waving at me as we pulled away.

Am I the only one who found the story funny?

I think it is safe to say that it wouldn't have been the first time that they have had a massive fight like this.

They shouldn't have been getting married.

Maybe he had the good sense to get away from her.

The groom stormed over, grabbed the cake, tossed it all into the harbour and then went outside on the front deck to smoke.

Before I had tied the boat up, the groom leapt onto the wharf, bolted up the hill, got in the car and drove off.

Yes yes the groom clearly exhibited good sense. Quite the catch! Throwing food in a 2yo temper tantrum and abandoning his pregnant fiance and unborn child...

Yep it was humourous until you mentioned his treatment of her, very sad. Could see her future all to clearly spelled out

Am I the only one who found the story funny?

I think it is safe to say that it wouldn't have been the first time that they have had a massive fight like this.

They shouldn't have been getting married.

Some people have the bizarre idea that getting married will solve their relationship problems. People also think having kids will solve their marital problems.

Both situations make things worse, not better.

We had another cruise to do, so I had to get the bride onto the wharf. I had to carry her and sit her on the wharf and then prise her hands off my arm.
I pity the Parents of both,you can't marry into money or class,i have been the best man at several of my mates one 3 times,the first time round another one of my mates ended up sleeping with his new "Lady" on the first night when he got legless and we have to carry him home we all knew what happened,but i could not look him in the face and tell him,..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMBAikhjgg

It is sad but it's the baby you have to feel sorry for, although by now it's probably turned into it's mother or father.

See now, if we issued permits for parenthood not only would we not have had this story, employment for depreciator, or another 'unwanted' baby that probably would have been better off being born to different parents.

see now, if we issued permits for parenthood not only would we not have had this story, employment for depreciator, or another 'unwanted' baby that probably would have been better off being born to different parents.

geez we're a bunch of mature aged shallow gossips

I think a demerit point system would work well - everyone would qualify for children as their right, but stuff up a few times, or even once for more damaging abuse, and all the children get taken away for good.

Geez jaycee, you must live a sheltered life. Now no one really knows what those particular parents turned out like, but there are a hell of a lot of parents out there NOT fit to be parents.

We scream and carry on, and start partitions about animal cruelty, but turn a blind eye to child cruelty time and time again :rolleyes:.

Yep, it's the unborn child I feel sorry for everytime, not the dumb parents that make dumb decisions and consequently do dumb things.

I think a demerit point system would work well - everyone would qualify for children as their right, but stuff up a few times, or even once for more damaging abuse, and all the children get taken away for good.

Geez jaycee, you must live a sheltered life. Now no one really knows what those particular parents turned out like, but there are a hell of a lot of parents out there NOT fit to be parents.

We scream and carry on, and start partitions about animal cruelty, but turn a blind eye to child cruelty time and time again :rolleyes:.

Yep, it's the unborn child I feel sorry for everytime, not the dumb parents that make dumb decisions and consequently do dumb things.

You get that from me saying you guys love to gossip about people we don't know for our own amusment and pry into other peoiple's lives which have nothing to do with our own live out of pure curiosity and nothing else, jsut something to talk about ? It's someone's real life.. I just thought it dserved a bit more respect , but I suppose I'm wrong and somehow some peopple (not us I assume), should be gossipped about

There was no poll or discussion oabout child safety, I just saw a post gossiping about other people we don't know.

I'm not going to agree with a demerit system for hte right to have children, who the hell has the right to / is going to police it and how ?

What about a demerit system stopping people's access to food / water if they are baddies ? Wouldn;t that be more effective ?

You get that from me saying you guys love to gossip about people we don't know for our own amusment and pry into other peoiple's lives which have nothing to do with our own live out of pure curiosity and nothing else, jsut something to talk about ? It's someone's real life.. I just thought it dserved a bit more respect , but I suppose I'm wrong and somehow some peopple (not us I assume), should be gossipped about

There was no poll or discussion oabout child safety, I just saw a post gossiping about other people we don't know.

I'm not going to agree with a demerit system for hte right to have children, who the hell has the right to / is going to police it and how ?

What about a demerit system stopping people's access to food / water if they are baddies ? Wouldn;t that be more effective ?

We're all gossips then jaycee, even you.

Shame you don't agree with the demerit point system because I think you'd make a good 'policeman' :D.

Chill.

Back