Frankston Now on Terry Ryder's Top 10 Hotspots

After years of false starts Frankston has reappeared on Terry Ryder's list of 10 hot spots.It appears that the low prices and multitude of old houses on large redevelopable blocks seems compelling.

Some people say the area is a bit rough. But it IS by the beach and someone did say on another thread that crime is no higher than what you would see in inner city Melbourne.
Anyone else interested?

Is Frankston an overlooked gem or does it deserve to be relegated permanently into bogan-land status?

Last edited:
Can anyone link me to Terrie Ryder's report? I too am curious about the other suburbs on his hot list.

Remember folks, Frankston is not for everyone. It's an old suburb, and a bit run-down despite having good infrastructure.
Although I own property in the area, I urge people to do their due diligence before buying.

Remember, it's the cheapest quartile of unfashionable property (on large blocks) that will give Frankston buyers the most capital gain in the long run.

Pay too much and it could all end in tears - your capital gain will not outperform the general market!

Yields are below 5%, depending on what you own, so this is not an area that is high yielding.

The crime figures are indeed no worse than inner-city Melbourne.

This site (why is it hosted in China?!) has plenty of information and also lists prices of houses that have already been sold. http://house.ksou.cn/suburb.php

After years of false starts Frankston has reappeared on Terry Ryder's list of 10 hot spots.It appears that the low prices and multitude of old houses on large redevelopable blocks seems compelling.

Some people say the area is a bit rough. But it IS by the beach and someone did say on another thread that crime is no higher than what you would see in inner city Melbourne.
Anyone else interested?

Is Frankston an overlooked gem or does it deserve to be relegated permanently into bogan-land status?

I think your quote about bogan land is on the money, for capital growth you need demand, and honestly who wants to live in frankston, also known as frankghanistan

The Peninsula Centre, the old ugly high rise in the middle of town is now all Quest apartments and has been rendered, black and looks so much better. I also heard that there are a few corporates staying there that maybe involved in the new tender process for the Marina, take that with a grain of salt but the marina might finally be back on the cards.

Was reading an article about Kittens strip club being taken over and converted into a decent restaurant which the area is sorely lacking, next time I drive past will check it out.

Does seem to be some positive things going on down there.

yes the new restaurant has opened up and its quite amazing. the demographic of frankston is definitely changing I think some people are just too stubborn to see it. but the marina is definitely back on the cards, I did read not too long ago it was still going ahead.

I see new apartment tenders happening in frankston, asia pacific looking for another development block and also 2 other smaller commercial builders are in the group also. usually the Wednesday tenders are in the paper so see a few frankston tenders coming up soon. cause I tell you its definitely changing, call it frankghistan or whatever, but the people who aren't looking in the area will surely be loosing.

as far as im concerned frankston will be on the up . just remember places like carrum had a bad rap many years ago, look at it now overpriced to the shitter!!!

yes the new restaurant has opened up and its quite amazing. the demographic of frankston is definitely changing I think some people are just too stubborn to see it. but the marina is definitely back on the cards, I did read not too long ago it was still going ahead.

I see new apartment tenders happening in frankston, asia pacific looking for another development block and also 2 other smaller commercial builders are in the group also. usually the Wednesday tenders are in the paper so see a few frankston tenders coming up soon. cause I tell you its definitely changing, call it frankghistan or whatever, but the people who aren't looking in the area will surely be loosing.

as far as im concerned frankston will be on the up . just remember places like carrum had a bad rap many years ago, look at it now overpriced to the shitter!!!

have you seen the show die hard 5, where bruce willis walks around with a sign on his back saying "i hate [xxx]", thats frankston and sunshine :(

Anyone else interested?

It's already happened.

Ms SIL doubled her money and then some in The Pines...sold last year and moved to Bali.

I think your quote about bogan land is on the money, for capital growth you need demand, and honestly who wants to live in frankston, also known as frankghanistan

Ah yes - but - not long ago no one wanted to live in Islington (2 yrs ago) - Redfern (5yrs ago) - Merewether (20 years ago) - or even (god forbid) Potts Point (25 yrs ago). Now they are all hot areas in high demand and massive capital gain since.

Wish I'd bought up on Potts.

I think in able to determine crediblity each spruiker/"expert" should post a previous year or couple of years prediction list and see how they've done,

anyone can spruike areas,

warrnambool, melton, frankston north, Portland, geelong were all spruiked in VIC

all have gone nowhere, some backwards,

ZERO CREDIBLITY FOR ME

Back