Frustrated by The total lack of regard - Police will not act

With any government agency, Council or Police, I suggest you put your complaints in writing. They must be logged and addressed that way. Its not sufficient to make phone calls if you want results.

With any government agency, Council or Police, I suggest you put your complaints in writing.

I was going to at least suggest recording the phone calls. You can get a suction-cup type bug for the back of your phone from Tandy for about $5 which you can then plug into the mic input of your computer.

Maybe modern mobile phones can record a call to their flash memory as an mp3... Don't know as I don't really keep up with phone tech.

I know for a fact that it takes 4 mildly beefy guys, all of whom have been warmed up with a beautiful red, to lift such a car and place in the middle of the street.

Amongst the more tame methods of retribution I have had conveyed to me by people from all walks of life, including a couple of cons and a veteran SAS commando with an artifical leg and a bad attitude, are these:

- insert broken match stick bits in all of the car's key holes including the boot, so that they don't protrude. let the dufus push them in further with his key.

- loosen the oil sump bolt so it is only hanging on by a thread or two. edit: actually don't do that because it will spread oil all over the road and be a danger to other people. Drain his oil sump completely, and stick a hose in it and put the sump bolt back in....(so the oil warning light doesn't go off.) The water will super heat and crack the engine block.

- take inspiration from Eddie Murphy thing, roll cardboard or paper into balls, duct tape them together, push 4 or 5 pieces of wire through them, coat them in araldite, and jam them deep into his exhaust pipe with a broom handle.....deep enough that a mechanic can't get them out. with a wire coathanger. Jam ripped up bits of cotton cloth behind the balls. The bits of wire will help stop the initial exhaust gas pressure blowing them out. Eddie used bananas.

Don't do this out the front of your place. This guy obviously hasn't been socialized properly by his parents, and needs some lessons in learning to respect others. This is a lesson better delivered at his place, or a shopping centre without cameras.

So, in short :

1. Everything that gives you satisfaction or physically helps the problem is totally unlawful.

2. Everything that you are allowed to do is totally useless and shall be ignored by the perp.

As I have written before many times.....it is extremely difficult, frustrating, time wasting and costly to actually force an adult to do something that they do not wish to do. The Council and police know this all too well, hence why you are getting bugger all "satisfaction" from those quarters.

yeah, but if it's unregistered it would soon get towed away :(
And you can't register a vehicle unless it's roadworthy, so that's probably not going to be a very cheap option :(
i wouldn't go any of the illegal options, since the cops already know he has motive :( unless the call was annonymous :D
all three cars are the problem, since none of them are parking properly...

all three cars are the problem, since none of them are parking properly...

Hey ??

Andy said that the carparking length was appropriate for about 2.5 car lengths, but the commuters try and squeeze 3 into the spot, hence the overhang. I'm presuming the first two are tickety boo.....it's only the third car with its @r$e hanging out which is the problem ??

Hi Handy :)

Frustrating problem but I just love the pearls of wisdom and ideas in response- I'm sure you can implement from the collective minds (some of them a little more warped than others!) and get rid of the problem in no time :D

My brother had a similar problem with his driveway being near a bus stop and school with constant overhanging vehicles restricting access to his own driveway. He tried a number of tactics but there's always going to be some drongo who tries it on regardless. In the end, I believe he parked his second car permanently out the front- perhaps one of your tenants could oblige here? Failing that, perhaps a standard letter under the windscreen advising the owner that their vehicles licence plate has been given to council along with photographic evidence so please expect an upcoming fine. This may be sufficient to scare them off from doing it on a permanent basis at least.

Best of luck with it all and happy renoing (do you ever stop?! ;))

I was going to at least suggest recording the phone calls. You can get a suction-cup type bug for the back of your phone from Tandy for about $5 which you can then plug into the mic input of your computer.
Also illegal, unfortunately, unless you get the agreement of the other party that the call can be recorded.
So, in short :

1. Everything that gives you satisfaction or physically helps the problem is totally unlawful.

2. Everything that you are allowed to do is totally useless and shall be ignored by the perp.
Yes, that's about the sum of it.

My Dad had problems in his pharmacy with a particular lady persistently shoplifting. There's nothing they (the pharmacy) can do about her. You can't force somebody to present their bags for inspection if they don't want to - you're only being polite if you agree; it's not legally enforcable - and you can't apprehend them to wait for Police to arrive.

So my Dad scanned through heaps of CCTV video, and burned onto DVD footage of her shoplifting on about 4 separate occasions - and she goes for high-value stuff like digital cameras, baby formula, perfumes etc - and gave the Police the DVD along with her name, address, and phone number. What did the Police do? ZERO. :mad:

Now they just watch out for her, and when she comes in to the shop, have a staff member follow her around and stand very pointedly right next to her. She does at least feel too embarrassed to shoplift right in front of staff, apparently. :rolleyes:

yeah, but if it's unregistered it would soon get towed away :(

It takes quite a while to have an unregistered vehicle towed away. We have just gone through this with one outside one of our IPs. There was the initial call to the council. A little while later the first notice under the wipers, followed two weeks later by the second notice. Another week or two before it was taken away.

But getting an unregistered car to park there and then have it go to the auctions would still cost too much. I like the idea of someone parking a car there each morning. Perhaps you can organise a roster :D.

Perhaps you can redraw the white lines in the entire space to create two wide spaces.

Not really sure if that would work, but it could sway a few drivers to take up that bit more space so that the third car doesn't consider parking there.

Either that or you get the third car protruding even further :p.

Hi All

Thanks for all the thoughts, some certainly way out there;)

As far as parking out there - this would be what we would do if we were expecting a concrete truck our the like but in general its not worth my while as these people seem to park there pretty early in the morning. Most go of to the station to catch the train.

Ozprep - its the attitude of the Police in matters like your Dad and various issues that we have had with tradies stealing my wallet (did you see them - no officer or else they wouldn't have left the building) drug dealers, or junkies trespassing and various other incidents where unless it seems to be happening to the Police personally they will not act, or even worse start trying to put it on you as the agitator of the circumstances. (as per my Insulation experience). Next to useless as this incident again proves.

What have I done.

The next day I happened to be out there planning on how to cut the granite for installation in some kitchen when some again comes along to try and squeeze a holden commodore into half a parking space. Only had to stare and wave my move along arm for them to move on.

On Friday I spoke to various council folk and also documented the offense in correspondence but this was to only get an increase in patrols (maybe). I wanted to document what I saw as a problem to ensure that the patrolling ranges think along the same lines.

I still need to write to the councils traffic dept to actually try and get signs erected so that it will be more clear cut as to where the driveway starts. This was originally at the suggestion of the head copper as this would define that actual offense and make for a simple prosecution. It was also repeated by the enforcement guy in charge at the council.

So more red tape but at least with a couple of people booked the word soon enough get around and the occurrence should reduce.

We have found this to be the case where in reducing people entering the properties to trespass and park. Either sticky pallet labels on front and back screen or if appropriate trapping the vehicle by parking it in and then making them wait for a lecture at the end of and hour or 2's reflection. My PM even received a warning from his PC guy (local) about parking on one of our properties. Obviously we had previously caught this guy or one of his friends. This warning was passed to my PM when he was asked where he parked in the area. So word of mouth is working. (The PM has permission to park there)

I really didn't want council sniffing around as we are in major renovation mode at this block (and have been for way to long)

Here is a pic from the back of the block

This is as a result of major concrete cancer repairs that are required all round the building.

Cheers

There's nothing they (the pharmacy) can do about her.
Yes you can.
and you can't apprehend them to wait for Police to arrive.
Yes you can
So my Dad scanned through heaps of CCTV video, and burned onto DVD footage of her shoplifting on about 4 separate occasions - and she goes for high-value stuff like digital cameras, baby formula, perfumes etc - and gave the Police the DVD along with her name, address, and phone number. What did the Police do? ZERO. :mad:
They will fob you off because they have more important things to do or just could'nt be bothered.
It's all in the wording and you can lay charges if you want to.
Now they just watch out for her, and when she comes in to the shop, have a staff member follow her around and stand very pointedly right next to her.
You can ask her to leave anytime, or refuse entry to anyone anytime.

Not sure why you are so anti-cops. I really dislike that attitude. A parking matter is a council matter. Just because you are renovating is no reason to demand police presence. Just call the council.

It appears that you think that because you pay your taxes you are 'entitled' to a police officer for your every whim. Much along the lines of those who 'expect' a personal nurse because they pay their taxes.

I honestly do hope that you are able to find a solution to your parking problem. It would irritate me no end also, but not to the point that I needed to call the police, just like I would not attend the 'emergency' department for a common cold.

I hope you find a solution soon.

Above Average

Back