Gamblers, Punters ??

funnily enough...i didnt bet on him.
i was always too nervous...couldnt sleep for days leading up to a race, and just couldnt bring myself to bet on him, even though i knew he'd win. probably the "as soon as i bet on him, he'l lose" mentality. was always a shortish price as well, so was happy to watch. was painful/exciting enough watching without putting some coin on him.
BC: a fan is all...although do have a shared interest with a syndicate aust wide. its a slow old mule, but fun nonetheless.

I'll go for Might and Power .... my fave punt for a couple of months (when I was doing that). Haven't punted since - except for the obligatory Melb Cup sweep,

Regards,

Edited:- Just some forum strangeness - I replied to post 14, and found I'd come in "after the fact" (but that's often the way with horses...)

might and power. wonderful wonderful horse. injury also cut him down.
he was my first hero...surpassed of course by the big N in recent years.

pragmatic and stingy

Gamble? I put a gold coin in a poker machine.
Didn't pay out.
<huff>
well poker machine you had your chance. You aren't getting any more of my money.

I am too stingy to put $10 in and get nothing in return. I would like $10 of something-to-show instead of a chance a a big pot 'o gold.

Too stingy to give it away for more than likely nothing in return.

I like the gamble of an op shop. Never know what you will find. That is a big buzz for me.

my punt extends to a $2 lottery ticket each week as the odds of winning something are higher than any other type of lotto/lottery but the amount won is usually less ... hmmmm up to $9mil at the moment. i can always dream.

what would you do with $9mil?

Punting

Think Big won a Melbourne Cup maybe thinking big can win the rat race....more property more Navra shares more property

Bobby

Not Many Gambling posters here

Think from the response here that most people that post have a investment strategy that does not just go by chance.

Personally I hate Melbourne Cup Day. Do you know how dumb you look when you cannot fill out the betting card:eek:

But I looooove the pokies. Problem is when I put $1 in change in I keep winning. So when I get to $10 I just take the money. Pays for lunch and a beer

:) And who's got time to waste in a smoke filled den full of loosers :(

Toooo busy having a Real Life :D

yeah i thought there'd be more interest in it as such....
considering aussies are seen as a nation of gamblers ,and given we all share a money making interest..wouldve thought perhaps might see highish levels of entrepreneurship/money making schemes&plans/bit more risk involved etc.

perhaps a share trading forum would show up a bit more of the punting desire...interesting anyway.

I don't mind the occasional session on the pokies- round about once a fortnight. I'll go with $10 to put through, plus beer money. Most times I walk out with nothing, sometimes I have parking change for a few days. If I go through it in less than an hour, I feel cheated.

Sometimes we buy each other scratchies.

It's always with money which does not matter, in amounts which do not matter.

It's so mindless, it's a way to unwind when thgings have been a bit tense.

At Christmas, the NSW Subway franchisees' Christmas party was in a marquee at Rosehill. I decided to bet one one race because a horse was called Crest something- and as I knew Crest133 from the forum, I put $5 each way on it. It paid $65. I lost a little bit of it later, but well ahead for the day. Enough to pay for a few months at the pokies.

Overall I'm behind financially. Maybe $50 for the year. I put through what I can afford to lose- and stick to that. I have been in the situation where I used to go all the time and put through a lot- back when I was single and saving was not important. I'm making sure I don't ever do that again. But I do like my little flutter.
Gee Cee said:
who's got time to waste in a smoke filled den full of loosers
Fortunately there's a few more smoking free areas now.

Hi

Pokies don't make sense mathematically you cannot win at the pokies long term. Trouble is somepeople actually try to make money with them and that is impossible. For entertainment fine you may even get lucky and hit a good run. Once you win though get out.

Cheers
BC

Still at the club or pub

I believe the reason there are very few posts on gambling is that most of the people that gamble are still at the club / pub. The majority of people here might have a flutter. Let's admit it is nice to have a drink and a spin and talk to like minded people. A social unwind. But as to full time gambling no way

I live in a nice area and occasionally go to the local pub for lunch or a quick beer. It is greatto sit on the verandah and have a beer while doing ya paperwork and overlooking the water. (Ask Les)
But it is amazing that no matter what time you go there, or on what day there are people that are always there :eek: On the dole, etc.

That life would send me nuts:(

i never even considered pokies, theyre really just a fun thing where youre guarenteed to lost min 15%, up to 38% (standard take outs), and have no ability to alter the course, analyse, or actually make the bet. one hopes we are all smart enough to realise this and limit their playtime on them. please...

was more thinking things where u do research, learn the game and such things. like property investing: research, analysis, committment, time, effort etc.
most pro's/second income earners do it simply by the internet or by years of research and analysis etc. no smoke filled dole bludging rooms full of weirdos etc. bookmakers are all internet based, they are biggg gamblers one could say (laying off to match books etc).

share traders - internet based, some might say they are essentially gamblers...educated one would hope, but 'gambling' nonetheless.

Liked a gamble on horses when younger. Well intentioned relative put a bet on for me at a racetrack when I was about 8 yr old. Unfortunately it came in (paid 5 to 1)and that was the start of many gamblings for me. Horses, Card games etc and down to twin towns every year or so to give the one armed bandits a work out until Jupiters on the GC opened.

About 14 yrs ago, put a single $1 on Qld v's NSW in state of origin. Was 4 all with a few minutes to go.
Could of kissed Alfie Langer when he successfully booted over a field goal. Qld 5 NSW 4 and I was from memory $4,670 richer through footy tab.
Virtually quit from then on.
Was never able to get the same adrenaline rush after that night.

Ricardo - "share traders - internet based, some might say they are essentially gamblers...educated one would hope, but 'gambling' nonetheless."

Only the short timers who blow up their account, or the ones who don't treat it like a business should be classified as gamblers (the ones who believe the easy money hype).

I've been fortunate to meet a few very successful traders, & gamblers they most definitely are not. Unless you define gambler as someone who goes into a position with a known risk/reward ratio & only trades when the odds are well in their favour. BTW that definition would make most IP investors on this forum gamblers :D Some of the people I've met may only take 10 mins or an hour a day to analyse/close/set their trades, but they've spent 1000's of hours to get to that point. They've paid their entry price !

Not taking umbrage by the way, just clarifying, there's share traders & share gamblers, the vehicle (internet or broker, options, futures, cfd's, fx, etc) doesn't matter. Similar to property investing/gambling.

Cheers
Mark

MarkR said:
Ricardo - "share traders - internet based, some might say they are essentially gamblers...educated one would hope, but 'gambling' nonetheless."

Only the short timers who blow up their account, or the ones who don't treat it like a business should be classified as gamblers (the ones who believe the easy money hype).

I've been fortunate to meet a few very successful traders, & gamblers they most definitely are not. Unless you define gambler as someone who goes into a position with a known risk/reward ratio & only trades when the odds are well in their favour. BTW that definition would make most IP investors on this forum gamblers :D Some of the people I've met may only take 10 mins or an hour a day to analyse/close/set their trades, but they've spent 1000's of hours to get to that point. They've paid their entry price !

Not taking umbrage by the way, just clarifying, there's share traders & share gamblers, the vehicle (internet or broker, options, futures, cfd's, fx, etc) doesn't matter. Similar to property investing/gambling.

Cheers
Mark

Found this interesting site where some punters are just as systematic as share traders (Including backtesting etc).

http://www.puntingace.com/forum/

So not all "punters" are gamblers either. My definition of a gambler is someone who speculates with a negative expectancy.

MIT

Back