Game of Thrones

I too watched series 1 in one sitting all but for a 2 hr nap and toilet break.
Series 2 the same and now waiting for series 3. :eek:

Love the whole 'old clans', history, battles for territory and thrones, marrying for power etc. Not exactly old England or any other particular culture but there's hints of all of them there. Then throw in some fantasy for good measure and Wow! what a story; what a series.

Boardwalk Empire also good (prohibition, gangster etc).

An older series, but a must see is The Wire. 5 series and each series deals with a different aspect of crime in Boston, (drugs, schools, the wharves, the media, politics not necessarily in that order.) The show is all about wire tapping, politics, red tape, budget cuts. Brilliant acting and story telling.
Three HBO shows. They do some good stuff. Not all their shows are good, but they have a very good hit rate.

I've now finished season II. The seasons are so short!!!

I have to buy the books now as there is no way I can wait until April 2013. I don't really want to cover old ground so if anyone who's read the books and seen the series can tell me what book i should start on for season 3 I would very much appreciate it?

My favorite characters are the half man and Kalesse. How adorable are the baby dragons? Sorry if you are still on season one but you knew that was coming as soon as you saw the eggs right. Can't wait for them to grow up.

Another fan here. The horse beheading scene!:eek: Came out of nowhere.

Have only seen all Season I and some off Season II so don't tell me.

Peter

Another fan here. The horse beheading scene!:eek: Came out of nowhere.

Have only seen all Season I and some off Season II so don't tell me.

Peter

OMG I know, and what about the end of S1E1... what the twins were up to and kid out the window! There are too many OMG scenes.

I hear that! BB is the best show ever made, hands down. I love how things will slow down for a little while, then all of a sudden BLAM! and I'm thinking 'WHAT WAS THAT.' I tried watching GoT, but was struggling to stay awake, it was so boring. Watched 3 episodes, that was it.
Breaking bad is amazing.

I was down with the man flu a couple of weeks back and my brother told me to check it out.

I've been watching a couple of episodes a night ever since. I hardly ever watch telly but I'm hooked.

Cheers

Jamie

Yep another fan here too. My favorite character is the 'imp'. How's the last scene of season 2.

I also like breaking bad and sons of anarchy. Have the wire but have not started watching it.

Currently reading ken follett's fall of giants so no time for tv

Last edited:
massive fan. everybody that loves this show please read the books. the show is great but theres only so much they can do in 12, hour long eps, (or whatever it is) each book is like 1000 pages and book 3 is 2 1000 page books so you can imagine how much stuff gets lost in the show. anyway im upto a feast for crows which is like book 4, still got dance with dragons to go and winds of winter coming... super exciting stuff... anyway, go read the books!

Another Game of Thrones fan here.

Also love Dexter and True Blood, but hands down favourites are Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead.

We are in a golden age for TV series.

:)

I never watch TV -- I get a series I want on DVD/Bluray so I can see them in my own time without commercials.

Nobody has mentioned the remake of Battlestar Galactica as quality TV. Also Six Feet Under. Ditto The Wire, though it is deliberately paced and takes a while to get into and the language at times is very hard to understand and needs subtitles.

Yep another fan here too. My favorite character is the 'imp'. How's the last scene of season 2.

I also like breaking bad and sons of anarchy. Have the wire but have not started watching it.

Currently reading ken follett's fall of giants so no time for tv

The imp, great character and actor, Peter Dinklage is bloody fantastic. Couple of other cracking roles including Death at a Funeral!

massive fan. everybody that loves this show please read the books. the show is great but theres only so much they can do in 12, hour long eps, (or whatever it is) each book is like 1000 pages and book 3 is 2 1000 page books so you can imagine how much stuff gets lost in the show. anyway im upto a feast for crows which is like book 4, still got dance with dragons to go and winds of winter coming... super exciting stuff... anyway, go read the books!

Hi Zed kid, I've been looking into the books but it's a bit confusing:confused: They are box sets of 3,4,6 & 7. And does each book translate to a season of the TV series? E.g. If I want to start reading from season 3 do I start at book 3?

And what is song of dance and fire?

Hi Zed kid, I've been looking into the books but it's a bit confusing:confused: They are box sets of 3,4,6 & 7. And does each book translate to a season of the TV series? E.g. If I want to start reading from season 3 do I start at book 3?

And what is song of dance and fire?

hi, a song of ice and fire is the actual name of the series. game of thrones is book 1, clash of kings is book 2, storm of swords is book 3 (split into 2 books), a feast for crows is book 4 and then a dance with dragons which is the 5th book. so if you seen all of season 2 then pick up storm of swords the 3rd book :)

book 3 is by far the best in the series (although i havent read book 5 yet)

I never watch TV -- I get a series I want on DVD/Bluray so I can see them in my own time without commercials.

Nobody has mentioned the remake of Battlestar Galactica as quality TV. Also Six Feet Under. Ditto The Wire, though it is deliberately paced and takes a while to get into and the language at times is very hard to understand and needs subtitles.
Six Feet Under was another good HBO series. As is Treme- done by the people who brought you The Wire, set in New Orleans. A different type of story though, also with some good music. HBO also brought out The Sopranos, which was excellent, Big Love which was not as good but an interesting premise (religious polygamy), Entourage and Carnivale.

Six Feet Under was another good HBO series. As is Treme- done by the people who brought you The Wire, set in New Orleans. A different type of story though, also with some good music. HBO also brought out The Sopranos, which was excellent, Big Love which was not as good but an interesting premise (religious polygamy), Entourage and Carnivale.

I anybody wants the complete set of Six Feet Under on DVD, let me know. All legal and bought from JB HiFi. You can have them for the cost of postage which I guess will be about $20-$30 since there are 5 sets of disks. BTW one of the main characters is Michael C Hall, who went on to be Dexter.

I was/am ambivalent about the Sopranos. Great story and acting, but I couldn't help thinking "this is the mob, I shouldn't be sympathetic to them" and couldn't get past series 3.

I've been meaning to get into this. Sounds great.

I didn't rate Breaking Bad that highly. It was good entertainment, but I found I just didn't care what happened in it. No connection with the characters. And none of the 'Omar's comin'' brilliance of The Wire (which I think is the best TV show of the past 20 years)

Twin Peaks, Deadwood, Carnivale (brilliant show, gutted it only ran for 2 seasons) and the original version of The Killing have been enjoyed lately. We also saw This is England '86. Very heavy stuff, but brilliantly carried out by Shane Meadows, as per usual.

Hi Mr Fabulous, re The Walking Dead.

No, I had never heard of the comics before I started watching the show, and even that was by accident (it was with another show someone gave me and I decided to have a quick glance at The Walking Dead just to see what it was about, but it hooked me from the first episode).

Love, love, love this series. Love the human drama of it all (not just the zombies though they're good too) and love the twists thrown in every now and again (the finding Sophia episode - wow). Also enjoy that they are not afraid to kill off a main character (even ones that still exist in the comic books so I hear) so I'm always on edge when I watch an episode.

Can't wait for season 3 - not long to go now :)

Back