Gas Ducted Heater - Advice on Model

Hi All,

My PPOR GDH (an old Braemer) broke down (cracked heat exchanger - non repairable). I have been looking around and found three models that would suit for a replacement.

Request any of your experiences with any or all. They are within $200 or so of each other, installed.

1. Braemer TG430
2. Vulcan V430E
3. Brivis HE30

It is to serve 9 points of ducting.

Cheers,
David

Hi David
We recently put in a " Lennox" gas furnace.
It is Canadian and you know it gets pretty cold up there.
The Lennox is great. I highly recomend it. I think the company has been around forever.:)
We live in Canberra and the house is around 44 squares and every inch is warm. We just got our gas bill for the winter quarter the other day. I expected it to be a couple of thousand $ given the girls in my house are "Frogs". It was only $700 so I was very pleased.
Simon

Just had a Brivis MPS HE put in on 10 outlets - again nothing to compare directly with, as the old unit was stuffed.

Points to note:
1. new unit takes up a lot less space - about 1/2 of the Buffalo's.
2. New unit seems to take water out - of something :confused: It constantly drips condensate (or something) from it's little outlet. Fills an ice cream tub in 3-4 days.
3. Heat exchange must be pretty efficient - can stick your hand on the exhaust outlet and it is "warm" not "hot" (like in soe of the older units).

Cheers,

The Y-man

I had a Lennox at my previous PPOR. It worked very well, no maintenance issues over the first 9 years of its life.

I have a brand new Brivis (the one with 4.5 star rating, can't remember specific model) at my new PPOR. Although I can't do a direct comparision as they are in different houses and are 10 years apart technology-wise, here's a few points of difference that the Brivis seems to
1) blow harder, and perhaps as a result be slightly noisier (don't know if this can be changed although I'd like to). Word of warning then, try to avoid installing it right outside a bedroom due to the noise.
2) It also has a different routine when it kicks in, it blows really hard for 5 seconds, stops for another 5 seconds, then blows at a more moderate rate (although still harder than the lennox). Initial blow, if the heater is right outside your bedroom window can be enough to wake you if you are a very light sleeper.
3) seems to blow hotter air and so seems to heat the house faster

good luck :)

Thanks for the comments. I have spoken to a distributor as well. The Lennox is about 50% more expensive than the others.

The Vulcan comes in at best price by $400 (including a $200 cashback offer). It also has a 5yr warrantee while the other two have 3yr (all have 10yr on heat exchanger)

Looks like I'll go with that one - there seems to be no negative comment and two independant people make comment that they are much of a muchness.

Thanks again,
David

mdk92 said:
I have a brand new Brivis (the one with 4.5 star rating, can't remember specific model) at my new PPOR. Although I can't do a direct comparision as they are in different houses and are 10 years apart technology-wise, here's a few points of difference that the Brivis seems to
1) blow harder, and perhaps as a result be slightly noisier (don't know if this can be changed although I'd like to). Word of warning then, try to avoid installing it right outside a bedroom due to the noise.
2) It also has a different routine when it kicks in, it blows really hard for 5 seconds, stops for another 5 seconds, then blows at a more moderate rate (although still harder than the lennox). Initial blow, if the heater is right outside your bedroom window can be enough to wake you if you are a very light sleeper.
3) seems to blow hotter air and so seems to heat the house faster

good luck :)

1. Brivis MPS HE30 is a 5.5 star product.
2. The MPS system blows the fan very lightly at the start and then progressively steps up to max speed. It also steps down the speed once the temperature is reached. Noise is akin to a hair dryer... I think....:)

Cheers,

The Y-man

A Brivis Buffalo broke down at an IP.

It was 20 yo- way past its useful life.

But apparently it hasn't changed much- and it is easily replaceable.

All I need is enough time to make the phone call- not an easy job.

Brivis HE30i - Equivalent Function / Smaller Size

Everyone,
Can you please help us source a Central Heating Unit which has equivalent functions to a Brivis HE30i but is smaller in size ? Builder advices now (after roof is on) that roof space cannot accmodate Brivis HE30i .
Thanks.
Ash

Back