Gas hot water

My daughter has a Rinnai LPG hot water system V 1200 and is going through a cyclinder of LPG per month ( I think they are 45KG tanks).

I rang the local ELGAS supplier and was told that was about right for a 2 person household.

My husband and I don't think this can be correct as the charge is $106 per month for tank to be swapped.

$106 X 12 months = $1272 for hot water / 365 days = $3.48 per day for instant hot water.

Anyone else have Rinnai or a different hot water system?
Is there something we can do to check usage & efficiency of system?

Thanks in advance
Sheryn

That sounds awfully expensive. Sorry I cann't give you a comparision figure, But i remember paying alot less when we had gas hot water.

Sounds very expensive for bottled gas.
Has she tried Speed E Gas, or Boral?
They are definately willing to negotiate on prices.
We get 18kg bottles for our little business for $27 I think, and wouldn't use as much as your daughter.
So a 45kg should only be about $50 odd dollars + an annual rental fee of maybe $50.

Good Luck.

Our (natural) gas bills for the last 12 months totalled $1,078, although I just noticed something a little odd about that period (one bill was for $340-odd and then they credited most of it back later for some reason). That includes a large (260L) gas hotwater cylinder with a very low efficiency rating, a gas cooktop that my wife uses a lot, and a gas heater that we use a fair bit on cold nights in winter.

For the 2007 calendar year, the bills came to $1,013, which was before we had the gas cooktop but the same gas hotwater cylinder and gas heater.

Plus we have two adult kids mostly living at home who shower and do laundry here regularly (and cook a little). One of their girlfriends regularly showers here too.

GP

a large (260L) gas hotwater cylinder with a very low efficiency rating,
Don know if they're at Oz yet, but they make a blanket to wrap hot water tanks in, 3inches of glass fiber with pvc on outer, great for improving the efficiency
have our furnace (wouldnt believe fuel bills for a winter) and hot water tanks and pipes wrapped
pic doesnt show the top piece

Water_heater_blanket_04.jpg

Don know if they're at Oz yet, but they make a blanket to wrap hot water tanks in, 3inches of glass fiber with pvc on outer, great for improving the efficiency
have our furnace (wouldnt believe fuel bills for a winter) and hot water tanks and pipes wrapped
pic doesnt show the top piece

Water_heater_blanket_04.jpg

You are seriously not serious, right:confused::confused::confused:

yeah I am, there is p'all insulation in a hot water tank, the blankets have adhesive edges they seal closed around the tank

winter is -20c (seems like forever)
the heat loss when it is cold,
really cold, not Aussie cold ,
is huge,
we dropped our heating costs from 7000 to 3800 by keeping the heat inside the house, not losing it in the basement where the furnace & water heater are

Our (natural) gas bills for the last 12 months totalled $1,078, although I just noticed something a little odd about that period (one bill was for $340-odd and then they credited most of it back later for some reason). That includes a large (260L) gas hotwater cylinder with a very low efficiency rating, a gas cooktop that my wife uses a lot, and a gas heater that we use a fair bit on cold nights in winter.

For the 2007 calendar year, the bills came to $1,013, which was before we had the gas cooktop but the same gas hotwater cylinder and gas heater.

Plus we have two adult kids mostly living at home who shower and do laundry here regularly (and cook a little). One of their girlfriends regularly showers here too.

GP

GP - a family of four with a hot water bill of $1013 seems reasonable but not a family of 2 who was their clothes in cold water. ;)

Thanks
Sheryn

bottle gas "is" really expensive. we used to have a gas fireplace that ran on bottled gas at another ppor. cost us around $90/mth then as we'd go thru a tank a month - and we only had the fire on low in the evenings, not during the day.

from what i have read and understand, bottled gas is around 4x more expensive than street gas ... so can't compare bottled and street.

yeh we have bottled gas in our beach house and it's nuts. if I lived there all the time it would be gone.... fully electric / solar hws. probably a heat pump system.

This is interesting. My uncle in Napier, New Zealand, recently switched *to* bottled gas cylinders, because the monthly charge for supply of gas through the internal pipes to the house was getting ludicrous. He claims that it's costing him less now.

Hmm.

A bottle a month sounds rather much. We use 45kg bottled gas for hot water and stove and we go through a bottle about every 2 months for a 2 person household.

A bottle a month sounds rather much. We use 45kg bottled gas for hot water and stove and we go through a bottle about every 2 months for a 2 person household.

Above is closer to my thoughts on how much gas should be used. Still need to find out how to test 'efficency' of gas eg. the gas hot water system.

Regards
Sheryn

Plumber who installed gas ho****er system was suppose to check gas installation at daughter's unit but he hasn't got there yet.

Anyway on our PPOR we have had solar hot water installed to replace our electric ho****er and it is working well so we will consider installing solar on the next IP build very seriously.

Sheryn

Plumber who installed gas ho****er system was suppose to check gas installation at daughter's unit but he hasn't got there yet.

Anyway on our PPOR we have had solar hot water installed to replace our electric ho****er and it is working well so we will consider installing solar on the next IP build very seriously.

Sheryn

What the hell is this ho****er system mean...?:confused:

hey thorpey

Its the vagaries of the english language and smartisj software without fuzzy logic

Spell put the missing letter of hot water once combined ..............

ta
rolf

The price of gas is all a big t*w*a*t isn't it :D

This is actually the reason I refuse to have a gas HWS when we build, despite it being something like $600 and included in the cost of the build and solar is almost $5000 extra (which seems ridiculous). They won't let you have offpeak electric tank HWSs anymore, which sucks.

I do want a gas fire and cooktop though, considering our heating bills can run to $600+ for the winter quarter and that is almost entirely heating ($150 or so in spring without heaters on), I'd happily take a $90 gas bottle a month instead. Even firewood is about $100 for a trailerload, and you can go through one of those damn fast.

Back