• No, I don't.

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Does it affect your vote?

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm against it. Don't take this as me having any problem whatsoever with people being any sexuality under the sun. Whats wrong with gays doing what they're already doing? If this isnt broken why do we need to fix it? This idea is only tossed into the ring by people similar to those on Triple J's HACK segment... full of self entitlement.

Its also like a guilty vote. Eg if you don't vote for it (similar to voting against the Disability Scheme), you're old fashioned or homophobic, rather than allowing it / disallowing it on its merits alone.

It is broken. Full of self entitlement - damn right, the entitlement to marry just like straight people.

You can swear on a religious writing or just do an affirmation. They give you the choice.

Only a few weeks ago Ed Husic was slated (by a bunch of racist idiots, mostly) for choosing to be sworn in (as Australia's first Muslim frontbencher) on a copy of the Koran (rather than the traditional King James Bible).

Good on him. People have a right to their beliefs.

One day we will have an openly Atheist politician or (perhaps even) PM. I don't know what book they will choose - perhaps Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of the Species"?.

And that will sit fine with me too.

Is the swearing in of the Prime Minister a religious ceremony?

No. You can chose it to be a religious ceremony. There is a choice between an oath:

I, A.B., do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Her heirs and successors according to law. So Help Me God!

or an affirmation

I, A.B., do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Her heirs and successors according to law.

Australia is a secular country. Simple as that.

I don't believe anyone has answered olly's question...

It was Kevin Rudd in 2007 who gave gay de facto couples all the same rights and responsibilities as straight couples, which are also the same as married couples. This includes the full suite of property rights, adoption rights, access to family pensions for military personnel etc etc. This was after a decade of refusal to do so by John Howard. But gay couples have always been able to raise children. Just the other day I was speaking to a lovely 30 year old lady raised by lesbian parents following a night of fun with some bloke in a pub. She still sees her father regularly but was raised in a different part of the country.

Anyway, this issue is now purely about symbolism. Do we want gay couples to be allowed access to the symbolism of marriage? All the other issues are water under the bridge, never to return...

Only a few weeks ago Ed Husic was slated (by a bunch of racist idiots, mostly) for choosing to be sworn in (as Australia's first Muslim frontbencher) on a copy of the Koran (rather than the traditional King James Bible).

Good on him. People have a right to their beliefs.

One day we will have an openly Atheist politician or (perhaps even) PM. I don't know what book they will choose - perhaps Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of the Species"?.

And that will sit fine with me too.

Gillard made an oath of allegiance rather than swearing on a holy text.

It's a lot more honest than pretending to believe in something you don't.

But would we get a vice versa on that?

It has to be fair and equitable.

I'm a bit confused on what this issue actually is about!

Put aside that the bible says marraige should be between a man and a woman because religious teachings shouldn't have a bearing on a legal issue (I believe).

We all know the male & female of the species are supposed to procreate to continue their species, but there's all sorts of ways around that now too.

We all know homosexual males and females can have long and loving relationships and this should be recognised somehow even for the legal aspect alone when property and other assets need to be divided if the relationship fails.

So what is the actual black & white legal definition of a marraige? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. Is it an actual law we have to re-word or re-define?

In other words -
When we are being asked to vote on this issue - are we being asked to vote on a change of a laws legal definition, which if it came about would immediately give them the same rights as a hetero couple i.e the right to marry not just commit, the right to have/adopt and raise children (which would naturally follow), the right to inherit assets as a spouse and so on.

Can someone dumb it right down for me please :eek:

From the point of view of some of the homosexuals in society I would imagine their aim would be that homosexual couples ideally would be socially accepted on the same basis as heterosexual couples. So that there would be no distinction at all in the way they are treated compared to hetero couples. They want to change the way they are viewed by society in general.

Quote:
Australia currently allows same-sex couples to enter civil unions in the Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales.

The Federal Government recognises these state and territory civil unions for the purposes of federal entitlements.

These civil union schemes are only open to residents of the particular state or territory which provides them. They are only beginning to be recognised by other Australian states or territories. Some other countries, however, do recognise Australian civil unions, for example, the United Kingdom.

Additionally, the City of Melbourne and Yarra City Council in Victoria and the City of Sydney in New South Wales provide relationship declaration programs. More information is provided below under respective state headings..............continues

Marriage pre-dates Christianity by many centuries. Some bedtime reading for you: http://theweek.com/article/index/228541/how-marriage-has-changed-over-centuries

And, on a similar note, slavery is mentioned in the bible. Are we picking and choosing what elements should be followed?

The old letter circulating on the internet since time immemorial shows the logical fallacy in this:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev.24:10-16)? Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws (Lev. 20:14)?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

But would we get a vice versa on that?

It has to be fair and equitable.

Depends on the country.

Turkey, for one, has the following Oath of office

I hereby take an oath before the great Turkish nation on my honor and reputation:

To protect the independence of the state, the indivisible unity of the homeland and the nation, and the unconditional sovereignty of the people, To stand by the supremacy of law, the democratic and secular republic, and the principles and reforms of Atatürk,

To never refrain from my loyalty to the constitution and to the ideal that allows every citizen to enjoy basic liberties and human rights within the realm of justice, national solidarity, peace and prosperity

No religion needs to be mentioned.

I don't care either way.

It's people's personal choices.

Far be it for me to say if two people love each who they should be allowed to marry.

But, it's time to move forward as the church and state are separate in this country and that appears the only hang up, not wanting to upset the ultra conservatives.

This idea is only tossed into the ring by people similar to those on Triple J's HACK segment... full of self entitlement.

Its also like a guilty vote.

I am for gay marriage because, having undertaken a civil marriage, I have no right to preach religious reasons - and - more importantly - it's not about entitlement but rather a desire to legally join in a union that acknowledges their partnership.

Marriage is not about religion ... traditionally it was about ownership of the woman (and all her possessions) by the man, and about supposed security for any offspring. Fortunately those times have passed.

Last edited:
Back