Gee thank's Mr Rudd!

(First let me say that I've never received any govt. support, nor do I want it or expect it.)

Today Rudd has announced his help for small business. He's going to let small business (less than $2M revenue pa) owners postpone paying 20% of next quarters PAYG until they lodge their end of year accounts.

Wow! How unbelievably generous!!!!

Seriously, if a business owner was struggling, would this pittance help at all? Please! :rolleyes:

I'm saying it does pretty much SFA to help a struggling business owner. Just a token gesture so it looks like Labor is doing something for small business.

As I said, I don't expect any support, a business should be able to stand on it's own two feet in good times and bad - whether that be a corner deli in Ipswich or a major car maker in Detroit.

My question is are they actually delusional enough to think that will actually help a struggling business? My point is, why bother, other than I guess a bit of window dressing to make it sound good and that they're 'helping'.

Obviously every business and it's owner has their own individual figures, but as for myself, that 20% postponement of 1 quarters PAYG amount to 6 months down the track would make absolutely no difference what so ever, whether I was struggling or going gang busters. If your businesses cashflow is that tight, then at best that 20% will make a difference for perhaps a few weeks? More likely, it makes no difference and your business is still f%#*ed unless you make some serious changes.

Tinkering with 20% of 1 quarters PAYG will do bugger all for business. Leave us alone and don't pretend to care Rudd.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense to me. What is the point of delaying the inevitable?
Unless he wants to give me 20% off my PAYG then I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Doesn't make sense to me. What is the point of delaying the inevitable?
Unless he wants to give me 20% off my PAYG then I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

There is another thread on this topic, but some of the posters have said that because we are saying "thanks Mr Rudd but big deal" that means we are whinging and expect a handout. They dont seem to get that this announcement is a non news event, and all it has done is reduce by 20%, the 8% assumed increase in profit from last year. Hey, isnt he a great man - I am not going to make you pay more than 80% of your predicted increase in profit this year! Big bloody deal!

Spot on Pushka.

I added the disclaimer in my first post cos I figured people would take it as I want more support than what he's giving.

I don't think any of the business owners that have posted about it here want any support at all from what I've read. I certainly don't. I just resent him trying to win brownie points with the press/masses with such a pathetic effort. Don't help small business out, that's fine by me - but then don't try to pretend you are either.

Not only is it a non event but worse for those businesses that participate it creates a mine field of paper work and confusion.

Cheers

if they wanted to help them out they'd scrap provisional tax altogether and let it get sorted out at the end of the financial year.

with the property companies i have some years we'll make a very tidy little profit - next year nothing - yet i still get charged provisional tax on the expectation of the good profit year and have to jump thru the hoops to get it changed in the non-profit year.

another layer of headache - glad i opted out of the gst saga!

I don't have a problem with Provisional Tax or more accurately PAYG Instalments.

You can vary the amounts of PAYG in the instance of a developer not making profits in a following year, it just has to be done on time.

As for KDudd and the small business measures, its just a non-event.

Thanks Granev, still keeping my eye on SS, but the silly season is upon us (in retail) plus too much boring D&G stuff around here last time I checked. Don't really have the desire to read it or post.

Back